Moving to Verizon ditching iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Has anyone moved to Verizon and purchased a BB or some sort?

I am reluctant to do this, but I am currently paying $100 per month just for my iPhone while the rest of the family is on Verizon, so we spend a ton of $ for 5 Phones on VZ and 1 iPhone on AT&T.

Curious though if I goto the Blackberry Storm, will the new RIM Mac Desktop allow me to sync my Macbook with my Storm and keep my Calendar and Addressbook in Sync.

It is a Sad Day for me in NJ, I have 13 days left with my iPhone 3GS :eek:

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Yeah but nearly $300 for Verizon then add my iPhone to that, so $400 just for phones and service. If I went back to Verizon we would be eliminating $100 per month for iPhone. I can not reduce my AT&T bill any lower, I am at the minimum services I can have without paying extra per month for TXT and Talk overages.

I was trying to get the entire family over but my sons and wife want to stay with Verizon since all their friends are on there and my wife cant get service in her office with AT&T.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

sometimes I miss Verizon coverage... damned iPhone dropped calls...

Lot of capable smartphones on Verizon nowadays too.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
  6. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i ditched the iphone 3GS (also the Edge and 3G) for the Droid.

if you use a lot of google services then its an awesome phone.

also dont forget the network.

7. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you are looking at moving to Verizon and want a phone with similar capabilities as the iPhone I would recommend you look at the Motorola Droid. I have had my Droid for a few weeks and it has been a great device. They are planning continuous software updates so it will only get better as time goes on. There are some good apps on the Android Marketplace and Google maps and search are great. You might also want to take a look at the Droid Eris if you want a less expensive phone and don't need the processing power or physical keyboard.

8. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I'm doing the opposite. I make enough, my mom, sis and dad have Verizon and I still do. Come June i'm dropping it and getting the Iphone. I have the Blackberry Tour right now and love it but verizon cuts off GPS and the BB has like 300 apps. I love apps and want the iphone because it has everything I need.

9. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I am on a Verizon non-smartphone and have been drooling over the iPhone since it was unveiled at MacWorld three years ago. But, I am unwilling to switch to AT&T and hesitant to wait for it to come to Verizon (especially as it seems less likely to happen in 2010). So the Droid may be the way to go for me.

A couple of quick questions for Droid users or anyone else who may know the answers to these:

1) Can it be used to mount onto iTunes (on a Mac) to copy songs over thus allowing it to function like an iPod/mp3 player? Or is it incompatible with iTunes/Macs?

2) If you use .Mac/mobileme as your email account, how do you have the phone set up to push/retrieve mail? I figure setting up a dummy gmail account and having it work as an email client on the phone to IMAP the .mac mail. Has anyone come up with a better method? Is there an app for that?

3) How is the battery life?

Thanks in advance.

10. silkyjohnson macrumors newbie

If you wan't the iPhone experience just get an iPod touch.

The only difference between an iPhone and an iPod Touch is you have 3G... the actual "phone" part is nothing to gush over ... considering where I live, I just wanna throw my iPhone against a wall because of all the damn dropped calls and awful, inconsistent 3G coverage.

11. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Yeah, but then you still have to walk around with 2 devices, a phone and an iPod. Part of the appeal of any smartphone is the fact that one device can do it all.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    True, but it also depends on whether you always use it alone or not. If you have kids, it's very handy to be able to give them the iPod to play a game on while you use the phone.

:)

It also helps if you have a purse or jacket or other pockets to carry more devices in.

Smartphone convergence is like those all-in-one home office printers with fax and scanner. Great to save space, but impossible for more than one person to use at a time.

13. nmpike macrumors newbie

I ditched my 3GS finally for the motorola droid, and I am a mac person.

Salling media - free sync to itunes to the droid (they also have a paid version).. its not a hack like the palm pre, this program actually syncs everything to itunes to your droid and back just like an iPhone.. outstanding software, worth $20 to register it! It makes the droid as worry free as an ipod or iphone though itunes.

Mobile Me: Works perfect on the droid (I have mobile me as well, but will cancel because google services seem to do much better, and will even import your contacts, and its free... so there is $100 a year savings)

3) battery life is as good as 32gb 3GS for me... excellent device. Ive had them all, never was able to be split from my iphone, now, i dont use the iphone.

you will love the droid, if you dont verizon takes it back within 30 days, and NO RESTOCKING fee... and the best thing, i have not had a single dropped call!

14. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Whatever you do, do not get a storm if your looking for the same iPhone experience (or any other positive experience).

You should probably try the Droid. I have one in addition to my iPhone (I still much prefer the iPhone though).

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I am a long time Iphone owner, currently own a 32GB 3GS for my personal phone. For my work phone I just got a Droid Eris. I have to say, I like Android quite a bit, however the 3G service is not nearly as fast as my Iphone and it just doesn't feel as natural to use.

The Iphone UI is umatched, it just flows. I also played around with the Motorola Droid. I found it bulky and the keyboard is pretty much horrible. Again nice OS, but still not nearly as intuitive or useable as my Iphone.

Android is easily the best thing besides the Iphone though.

17. milerich macrumors regular

I love my iPhone 3GS, and have had all versions of the iPhone in my past. I also have great 3G service most of the time, so I haven't really had any problems. I have had consistent dropped calls, but I know the exact areas that they occur in.

I have owned a Storm and did not like it near as much as my old Curve. My Droid experience is limited to playing around in a Verizon store, but I could see myself owning one. Definitely more than owning a Storm again.

18. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thanks for the response. One follow up re: retrieving your email from the Droid. You said you have Mobile Me and it works well. Does that mean you used a .mac/.me email address and if so, how did you retrieve it on the Droid? Did you have to log in to the Mobile Me web browser or were you able to negotiate a push system? What was the set up?

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I never tried mobile me on any other phone, but it should work. Reason I say this is because it works just fine on my laptop using Outlook 2007. The droid probably won't be able to auto detect settings as Outlook didn't, but you can just google the imap settings and enter it manually. I pretty sure it will work on the droid.

IMO.... Mobile me isn't worth it with out the online disk feature. I doubt droid as that app.

20. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

I have the Droid and it is amazing. I enjoy the keyboard and the marketplace is better than I expected... I miss some of the games from the App Store, but android still has some fun games and a lot of great apps that the App Store itself doesn't have (google goggles for example).

Verizon's network is great and the Droid loads websites faster then the 3GS did for me up here in Maine.

My advice would be to make the switch.

21. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I went to Verizon, I really like the Android OS, but I do not like slider keyboards, so out goes the Droid. I like the new Storm because you can make or buy Themes that make it more appealing to the eye. I DO NOT have one single issue with AT&T service, I basically have Full bars and 3G 99% of the time, however the iPhone is great too, just worked with AT&T and Verizon and it seems I am only saving $56.00 by going to Verizon with the rest of the family, so there is NO phone on Verizon worth it for me, I am sticking with the iPhone, I have too much invested in APPS and Music, plus everything I do with MobileMe.

Thanks All for all the valuable feedback

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Gotta do what ya gotta do bro. Hope it works out well for you. I'm in a similar boat as you. If I cancel, I can drop the land line and save about $70/mo. att gets nada at my house. :(

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I had a chance to play with a droid last night.
    It was impressive.
    the expandable/removable memory, physical keyboard, and removable battery is a plus for me.
    I have too much time left on my ATT contract but if version two of the droid builds on the current platform, the EFT may not even be a concern.

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've been using the Droid now since launch weekend, and keep in mind I've had each version of the iPhone on launch day, and all of my personal computers are Macs. At first I was "so-so" about the Droid, and wasn't all that thrilled with it. But what I've found is that once you've used a certain device for so long (in my case, iPhone since 2007), ANY device you change to is going to seem different and unfamiliar, just because you're not used to it. After forcing myself to use the Droid exclusively, I've found out that I like it more than I did any iPhone so far. I like a device that isn't so "dumbed down", and that has more options and "openness" if you choose to use it. The Droid is faster at displaying webpages for me, even when I'm sitting in an area of AT&T 3G coverage that is testing out at over 2000kbps download speed, and the Droid is WORLDS faster at uploading (iPhone is hardware limited to 384kbps upload, and the Droid will reach over 1000kbps upload). Every app that I've actually used with any consistency on the iPhone is available on the Droid, and the only thing that's not on par with the iPhone is gaming, but I don't do that on a phone anyway. Especially not the iPhone, the controls cover half the screen. And once more elaborate games come out for the Droid, you'll be able to slide the keyboard out and use that as controls, not obscuring your screen. And speaking of the screen, once you use the higher resolution Droid for a while, looking back at the iPhone/Touch makes the lower resolution extremely noticeable(and crappy), especially on webpages. The default on-screen keyboard for the Droid isn't bad, but I'd recommend downloading "better keyboard" from the Market. It is leaps and bounds above even the iPhone's onscreen keyboard. And after using the slide out keyboard for a while, it's actually pretty useful once you get used to it, and it's always a nice feature to have to use when you need a hard keyboard (doesn't make the phone any thicker than the iPhone). And widgets are extremely useful for pulling down information and having it on your homescreen at a glance, instead of having to open up every one of your commonly used programs just to see updates(weather, calendar, Twitter, and sports scores update right on the homescreen). I've not seen that true multitasking programs shortens battery life significantly, if coded the right way. In fact the Droid, in my experience, gets about 5-6 hours more battery life my iPhone 3GS was getting (it will last all day on one charge, where as my iPhone would have to be charged again before I left work for the day). And as far as the Droid not being compatible with Mac/OSX, the only things you can sync to/from a Mac to iPhone are email, music, contacts, and calendar. And of these, email, contacts, and calendar can be synced with Google/Gmail on the Droid, which can also be synced with your Apple computers, so this is a non-issue for me. And music/media can just be dragged and dropped, so it's not that big of a deal to do that either. You could always just carry an iPod shuffle or Nano for music, which is what I did with my iPhone, because listening to music for lengths of time at work killed my already short-life iPhone battery even faster.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the hardware of the 3GS(essentially the same hardware as inside the Droid), but I'm just tired of Apple thinking everyone is an idiot, and making phones that can only be used how they think it should be used. Now, I agree that overall, this locked down policy of Apple's makes the user experience better for the majority of users, because it reduces user related error, but I'd at least like the CHOICE to do with my hardware as I wish, without having to play cat and mouse games with Apple just to jailbreak my own phone. The iPhone/iPod ecosystem is going to be one major drawback to not using an Apple device, however. With the vast amount of them out in the public, you're always going to find more accessories/cases/etc for an iPhone than you will the Droid (for now), as well as the interoperability with the iPod dock connector.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL somehow I highly doubt your whole message, especially this part. At least you didn't say it's over 9000.

Sure go enjoy Droid, the phone that doesn't have multi-touch on browser by default.