Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpn

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
i say its time that MacRumors moves TV+ content related info to its own separate section, taking it off the Front Page, putting TV+ content related updates to its own section.

on a desktop version of MacRumors there are currently 3 sections :
Front Page
Mac Blog
iOS Blog

adding new section: TV+ Content

TV+ rumors and news related to something that changes its strategy or other significant changes would be left to the Front Page.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Or It could be moved to Waste Land, as in "Vast Wasteland". I seem to remember a famous quote. LOL a2

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I'll get flack for this - but I come here for 'mac' rumors and discussion: mostly hardware, some software and sparingly for services when it's related to that hardware or software.

I come here because this site is somewhat credible (to me) for those mac rumors and discussion. I don't come here to see what television shows I should or shouldn't be watching. It's like asking a mechanic to recommend a good doctor.

If I had my choice, I'd filter all this away. No offense, but if I want to read spoon-fed content about Apple TV shows, I'd go get it directly from Apple. If I wanted to read about the quality of any show I might want to watch - I'm not looking here (nor at Apple)

So, my advice - 'stick to the knitting' - you're needlessly diversifying and diluting the value of your brand by posting this stuff. Or better yet, start a new forum called "Apple TV Rumors and Discussion" and enjoy that work on its own accord. I just don't want to see it.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
My bad for posting this on an article...anyways I got pointed to this thread. Do think that this has gotten big enough to be its own category and page now.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
i say its time that MacRumors moves TV+ content related info to its own separate section, taking it off the Front Page, putting TV+ content related updates to its own section.

Agree - Although this site has long been become iPhone, Watch and Hypothetical Car rumours rather than just Mac rumours, those are all tech subjects with considerable overlap in interest.

Now Apple TV+ is up and running there's going to be an endless stream of news about new shows, cancellations, signings, awards, ratings, plot twists, scandals etc. that really won't have any tech angle.

Nothing wrong with having Apple TV+ stories in their own section on this site (there's long been TV discussions in the community section) but they shouldn't swamp the front-page news (...its not like MR has ever run front-page stories about new music releases and distribution agreements on iTunes unless there has been something out-of-the-ordinary about them).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Understand the concerns about heavy Apple TV+ news, but to some degree it is what it is, as we follow Apple wherever the company goes. Separate from the forum side annk mentions, we're doing similar on the news side, looking to move to a more streamlined single feed rather than splitting up into more sections.

This is new territory for Apple and for us, though we saw similar complaints from Mac users when the iPhone came around. Not every story is going to interest every reader, and I suspect the balance of things may settle down over time. Right now, pretty much everything for Apple TV+ is a "first," but over time various announcements and bits of news will become less notable, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

jpn

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Understand the concerns about heavy Apple TV+ news, but to some degree it is what it is, as we follow Apple wherever the company goes. Separate from the forum side annk mentions, we're doing similar on the news side, looking to move to a more streamlined single feed rather than splitting up into more sections.

This is new territory for Apple and for us, though we saw similar complaints from Mac users when the iPhone came around. Not every story is going to interest every reader, and I suspect the balance of things may settle down over time. Right now, pretty much everything for Apple TV+ is a "first," but over time various announcements and bits of news will become less notable, so we'll see how it all shakes out.

not looking for an Apple TV Guide.
its obvious that more and more apple tv+ content is coming.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
We don't need to hear about every new movie, tv show, or song that comes to iTunes, so we don't need to hear about new things coming to TV+. Like it says on the tin, I am here for Mac rumours and have come to accept that includes iPads and phones.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
This is new territory for Apple and for us, though we saw similar complaints from Mac users when the iPhone came around. Not every story is going to interest every reader, and I suspect the balance of things may settle down over time. Right now, pretty much everything for Apple TV+ is a "first,"

...but iPhone and Mac both clearly fall into categories such as "computers" and "consumer electronics". They even run closely related operating systems. Macs have an important role as development systems for iPhone, iPhone apps can inter-operate with Mac apps, or even replace Macs for some roles. One of Apples attributes has always been the way its products integrate.

Conversely, we're starting to see news items such as:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/01/23/carpool-karaoke-season-3-trailer/ (Season 3 - hardly a first!)

...which are 100% "entertainment news" with no tech connection whatsoever. I've omitted:

...which is arguably "Apple corporate news" since Disney+ is a major competitor. and maybe because Apple and Disney share some DNA.

I believe that there are already about 20 ATV+ shows already either running or announced, and that's just the first year or so. There will be a torrent of news about cast changes, renewals, cancellations, awards, criticisms and scandals generated by these.

so we'll see how it all shakes out

If you're standing on rail tracks and can see a light in the distance, can hear a mournful whistle and a distant rumbling sound then "how it all shakes out" is gonna be that a train arrives, so it's probably time to start thinking about how to dodge it.

(Unless Spielberg is directing, in which case you're about to get buzzed by a UFO)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Regarding Apple TV plus content and any content you don’t like

Is it that you don’t like seeing it on the front page, social, rss or what?

Is blog content similarly bothersome?

arn

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Conversely, we're starting to see news items such as...which are 100% "entertainment news" with no tech connection whatsoever. I've omitted:
I think this is the issue. I have no problem when the news is connected to something tech related. For instance pricing is fine, promos like getting a free year of Apple TV+, supported formats on ATV vs iPhone (4K, Atmos, etc), ATV+ on other manufacturer's TVs like LG/Samsung, demo/install/setup videos, issues like ATV+ is down for the world or restrictions, etc. But I personally think just "entertainment news" is not worthy.

I personally use RSS the most but also on Front Page.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle

arn

As a regular and RSS feed consumer - I'd rather not waste (subjective) my time on that content. Ideally, make it easier to follow news from two sources - software should make it easy - for 'news and discussion content' - one for tech, one for apple entertainment - You can push the 'combined' articles as a default, but give us whiny people a way to avoid it, if we choose to dig to find that setting. And you still get the possibility/probability for more clicks without losing others.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

arn

It's not about "not liking" content. I've argued in a previous post why "entertainment news" is "off topic" for MacRumors in a way that iPhone/Watch news never was. Its not a huge problem at current levels, but unless ATV+ is a failure those levels are going to rise proportionally with the number of shows.

Yes, its the front page that's the issue - I think the typical volume and frequency of entertainment news generated by a successful streaming TV service would completely swamp the tech stories. I'd have no objection to an 'ATV+ shows" section elsewhere on MR although, frankly, if I wanted entertainment news I'd probably go somewhere like IMDB that covered all channels.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
As a regular and RSS feed consumer - I'd rather not waste (subjective) my time on that content. Ideally, make it easier to follow news from two sources - software should make it easy - for 'news and discussion content' - one for tech, one for apple entertainment - You can push the 'combined' articles as a default, but give us whiny people a way to avoid it, if we choose to dig to find that setting. And you still get the possibility/probability for more clicks without losing others.

So just a filtered feed is what you want?

Yes, its the front page that's the issue - I think the typical volume and frequency of entertainment news generated by a successful streaming TV service would completely swamp the tech stories. I'd have no objection to an 'ATV+ shows" section elsewhere on MR although, frankly, if I wanted entertainment news I'd probably go somewhere like IMDB that covered all channels.

So what's your ideal version? Filter out those stories by category? Move them to another blog-equivalent?

arn

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
So what's your ideal version? Filter out those stories by category? Move them to another blog-equivalent?

I'd suggest moving them to a blog-equivalent. Without knowing how the MR software works I'd guess that would be less work, too.

Filtering by category sounds like a reasonable alternative, and may have wider applications.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Maybe there's a way to add a checkbox under account Preferences, like this one to Block Politics:

polit-opt.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.