Mozilla Android concept phone makes iPhone4 look oldschool!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, Sep 23, 2010.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys, check out this video for a Mozilla concept phone based on Android called 'Seabird'

http://tumblr.com/xedjg0mlq

Includes pico-projectors and built in bluetooth headset/controller. Maybe a projector will find it's way into the iPhone5 or 6?

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I don't see how that is better than a touch screen to be honest. Now I have to use both hands to use the device? It's an interesting concept, but I think that's as far as it goes.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Make the iPhone 4 look oldschool?

It has a mini USB plug. Who's oldschool?

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's rather large on the top side, and the blue tooth dongle on the back looks ugly. I'm also extremely averse to having a white phone because it makes scratches and dents much more noticeable. The IR remote/keyboard/projector capabilities are incredible, nobody could argue against that. Android's also a solid platform to have the phone on and it's growing nicely, but I'm not convinced that the phones abilities are as seamless as displayed in the advertisement. The IR Touchpad/remote seem as if they'd be rather annoying to get accustomed to actually. I definitely like the idea, but I'm damned if I have to get such a bulky phone really. They seem so regressive to me.

Attached Files:

6. hyteckit Guest

WTF? You can't touch the screen?

So this phone must be operated with two hands or with the dongle?

Instead of taking 2 secs to type in a phone number, I need like over 10 seconds with the dongle?

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And the concept of transporters makes flying in planes look old school, but that still doesn't mean it will be around any time soon.

8. hyteckit Guest

How is the dongle an improvement over multitouch? Its a cell phone with a 4" screen. You are most likely within arms reach of the phone.

I imagine this might be great with a laptop, but a cellphone?

9. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Sure, it's futuristic but I don't see how it will work out as a phone.

10. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the multitouch screen is still there, but you can *also* use it those other ways - assuming for presentations etc.

11. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

12. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They better have a cord to connect that dongle to the phone.

Also this kind of stuff annoys me about Mozilla. They act like a benevelont charity almost, and cry about having to pay for h.264 licenses, but then they are developing stupid stuff like this. It is totally out of what they should be doing in my opinion.

If they are going to be a business be a business, if they are going to pretend like they are just some kind of grassroots community driven effort, then do that.. But stop trying to pretending to be both.

13. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I cant see how anyone could say this phone isn't awesome. This forum is filled with fanboys.

14. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

It is a cool little concept, but I'm not convinced it is anything special until I see an actual unit in a actual human being's hands. Anyone can make some fancy demo promising all of these futuristic features. Lets see it for real, and not in some CG demo.

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's ugly, huge, and doesn't do anything easier than existing iphones and androids out there. Who's going to use a crappy IR sensor to type on a flat desk to control a desktop computer when you could use a keyboard. Major fail.

Only nerds use apps to look at stars and nebulas.

16. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I like a lot of the concepts behind that particular concept and I hope they can deliver. At this time, I'm very much happy with my iPhone and I see no reason to worry about this Mozilla device until they can actually produce a working model - then you will have my interest.

**But for how long....**

17. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

I like the dual purpose blueooth dongle that can be used as a headset and a remote, built right into the phone.

18. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Pretty much sums it up. The technology is a cool idea, sure, but the application seems totally worthless. Really the ONLY good thing I could see coming from this is being able to have a virtual keyboard to take notes on. But really that's about it.

19. vega07 macrumors 65816

I don't consider myself an Apple fan boy but that phone looks awful and silly.

20. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Thank you, sir!

OP works for Microsoft.

21. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow just wow. I'm always accused of being a massive Apple fanboy from my friends, it's the first time I've ever heard that!

A mini/micro USB is standard, the iPod connector has been around since 2001 and is still being used. I don't get it how using a mini USB makes this device obsolote?

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

23. hyteckit Guest

Dongle is good for presentations. Okay, but it's a cellphone that can easily be hold with one hand.

Wouldn't it be easier to do what Steve Jobs does and connect a projector to the iPhone?

Zoom in/out and clicking on buttons would be much easier with your fingers and multitouch than messing with a dongle remote.

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

And it's filled with just as many idiots who are worringly eager to post news of the next "iPhone killer" and come across as giddy with joy while doing so, like their point is somehow a factual justification that we're all wasting our money on "inferior" Apple tech.

The way some border on over-excitement and generally come across as getting hard while posting non-Apple news leads me to believe they need a life, a woman, or both.

The haters on here are ten times more annoying than the most ardent fanboy.

If people love Android so much, then bugger off to an Android forum and post there.

25. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Calm down there, I know there are trolls everywhere, but I hope you're not refering to me as the original poster as an 'ardent android fanboy'? I just thought it was a cool concept video.

edit - I probably own more Apple hardware than many have underwear.