Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mozilla has told users of its Lockwise password management app that it will officially end support for the app on December 13. While the password manager will continue to work after that date, it will no longer receive support or security updates.

firefox-lockwise-password-app-padded.jpg

Lockwise began life in 2018 as Lockbox, an open-source mobile app for iOS, Android, and desktop that allowed users to access login credentials and autofill passwords stored in Mozilla's Firefox web browser.

Most of those features have now been integrated into Firefox on desktop and/or mobile, signaling the end of the road for the standalone Lockwise app.
"The Firefox Lockwise app will no longer be updated and supported by Mozilla and will not be available in the Apple App and Google Play Stores," Mozilla said in its email to users.

"After that date, current Lockwise users can continue to access their saved passwords and their password management in the Firefox desktop and mobile browsers."
Android users will be able to access the password autofill functionality offered by the Firefox app instead, but users on iOS will have to wait to gain the ability to manage Firefox passwords system-wide.

"Firefox for iOS will already sync your saved Lockwise passwords," states Mozilla in a support article. "You can currently only use those inside Firefox. Check back for updates in December 2021 on how to use Firefox for iOS as your system-wide password manager."

Earlier this month, Mozilla released Firefox 94 for iOS devices, which introduces a new homepage design that adds several quality of life improvements to the browser. Firefox says that the new features are designed for "short bursts of online interactions that are constantly interrupted by life."

(Via ZDNet.)

Article Link: Mozilla Ending Support for Firefox Lockwise Password Manager in December

Last edited:

ZipZilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2003
I like Firefox, but agree they need to update their UI. I was not aware they had a password manager, I definitely would have used it

softtree

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2021
Feels like a step in the wrong direction. Passwords don't "belong" to a particular browser so the idea of a separate app that explicitly controls the passwords seemed like a good one. Non-technical people have a really hard time understanding this stuff and often end up with saved passwords spread across all sorts of locations, because even if you install a password manager on all your devices like your nerdy friend (me) told you to, the browsers/iCloud are going to slurp up all your logins and leave the real password manager empty unless you know how to fix the settings in every browser on every device.

mikzn

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
But why? What’s the real reason behind it?

Most of the "password features" have been integrated into the browser - why have an app?

Maybe there were other features like credit cards?, etc - but most of the features are in the firefox preferences and easy to use and access - I use it often and prefer it to Safari for password access

Plus - I might be wrong but I believe it was pulling the info from Firefox Sync anyway

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
I do not quite understand why Firefox still feels outdated in its UI. Also, why won’t they let users choose between having the navigation bar at the bottom or top?

Jhieminga

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I am really going to miss Lockwise... On my Mac I mostly use logins/passwords in Firefox, so it is useful to have these integrated into the browser. On my iPhone I often have to use these same credentials to log in to apps as many companies or organisations use an app on a mobile device. I don't want to have to install a separate browser for that purpose. That was the beauty of Lockwise, you could use it as a system-wide password manager on your phone.

Seeing as it started as an open source mobile app, I really hope that someone will continue to offer an open-source app that works with Firefox Sync, but I guess we need Firefox to support this...

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Firmly in the "remember a feature exists by the announcement that it has been discontinued" category.

I get that Mozilla has a limited budget, but this seems to be the kind of thing that they fits their profile. Weird choice.

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Boris Bronson

macrumors member
Feels like a step in the wrong direction. Passwords don't "belong" to a particular browser so the idea of a separate app that explicitly controls the passwords seemed like a good one. Non-technical people have a really hard time understanding this stuff and often end up with saved passwords spread across all sorts of locations, because even if you install a password manager on all your devices like your nerdy friend (me) told you to, the browsers/iCloud are going to slurp up all your logins and leave the real password manager empty unless you know how to fix the settings in every browser on every device.
Yep. Would much prefer the separation.

Staggeringly bad move as I’m not putting any passwords into browser storage so Mozilla’s dev time on that is a waste in my case.

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Bitwarden is the password manager for all.
It's pretty good. I just don't like how small the notes section is. I also don't care for not being able view the vault as a separate page in the browser. As it's sometimes a pain having the plugin close when I have to click back and forth between a page and an open password.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
I would blame their lack of proper advertising. I never heard of this and that was when Last Pass started charging people a year ago and I had to find a replacement. Would be good if it continued life as pure open source, but there has to be infrastructure servers supporting it. Too bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.