Mozilla Releases Firefox 10 for iOS With New 'Photon' UI, Tracking Protection, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mozilla released version 10 of its Firefox browser for iOS on Wednesday. With a new look the developers have dubbed "Photon", the update represents the Quantum release for mobile, boasting the same performance advantages as its forthcoming equivalent for desktops.

The more modern design aims to put users' needs first, with rearranged menus for easier access to the most-used features and an updated minimalist look.

A new application menu now sits at the bottom of the interface, providing quick links to top sites, bookmarks, reading list, history, Settings, and one-click options to enable Night Mode and hide images.

Elsewhere, a Page actions menu can be found in the address bar, containing frequently used actions like share, sync, or save content for later, as well as page search, pin site, and bookmark options.

[​IMG]

In addition, the new tab screen has been overhauled, with icons that link to top sites from around the web and popular articles on Pocket, as well as pages you've recently visited or bookmarked.

Firefox will now show popular search suggestions by default as you type, while the QR code reader button has been moved up next to the address bar to make it easier to find. Also included in this release is Firefox's "Tracking Protection" privacy technology, which the company developed to mitigate invasive tracking of online activity.

Firefox 10 on iOS is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link] The desktop version of Firefox Quantum is set for release on November 14.

Article Link: Mozilla Releases Firefox 10 for iOS With New 'Photon' UI, Tracking Protection, and More

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is Firefox still a thing?

I've long transitioned over to Google on my Mac, and use Safari on my iPhone.

3. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

They still try to remain a thing. That's pretty admirable. ;)

4. Brad9893, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Brad9893 macrumors 6502

Brad9893

Firefox for iOS is a wrapper around Webkit (just like every other browser on iOS), so there could not possibly be any of the Quantum performance benefits in includes in this. You need the Gecko engine for that.

5. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

So had I. But then I transitioned back to having some free RAM.

6. Sasparilla, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

>> the new tab screen has been overhauled, with icons that link to top sites from around the web and popular articles on Pocket <<

Popular articles eh? I would call that piping in advertising. Sad. Hopefully that can be turned off by the user. Mozilla leadership was pondering setting data collection on by default and setting to max level. Just a few executive decisions away from just being Google at the browser level.

Like the old UI better, like alot, I use Safari mostly on iOS but Firefox is my fallback - the change will be more stark next week for desktop users where Firefox will change to look like a clone of Vivaldi, except the default clean installation won't have a search bar on Firefox anymore. They will be dropping support for their massive collection of plugins with this release as well I think. Once the large UI change is done with next weeks release, this should allow Mozilla's leadership to complete the I.E. / Edge marketshare plan and kill off a good chunk of the remaining Firefox user base.

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Shouldn't that always be the case?

8. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

God this browser is ugly. A mobile Firefox sounded good back in 2009 when people still mainly used it. Look at how bad it is at the color coordinating of bookmarks as well.

9. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Exactly. Given this, there's really no point to third party browsers on iOS other than (I guess?) if you use that browser on the desktop and just really must have your bookmarks sync over. Seems to be the only possible benefit.

10. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

I've stayed away from anything Google because I just figured they'd find a way to track everything we do. I'm probably wrong about that, aren't I?

11. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

No. :)

12. DMinTX macrumors member

As an aside, I would love for Apple to release Safari on tvOS...

13. Eorlas macrumors 6502

Used chrome for a while, and then I get Firefox a try again after they announced the beta with the Quantum improvements.

Changed over the machines at work to it, my personal W10 machine, MBP, and all of them surf waaaaay faster with the new Firefox.

14. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

Not much of a fan of firefox most of the time but my initial impressions of this were that it is fast.

15. stainless macrumors member

stainless

Firefox and Safari have nothing to do with Chrome and Google... they are completely independent of Google! However, I completely agree, stay away from almost anything Google touches because they make their money tracking, knowing and serving (controlling) what you see, EVEN IN THEIR SEARCH RESULTS!!

16. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

I think its definitely still a thing. They just rewrote the browser engine from the ground up. FF 57 is getting released on 11/14, supposedly with some really good performance improvements.

I tend to use Safari on macOS, but I'll give FF57 a try when it's released.

On windows, I bounce between Edge and FF. Edge is so much more effecient and fast (though it does crash often). FF has tended to get slow and bogged down if you leave tabs open for a few days.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought they used Google's engine?

18. Order_66 macrumors member

Order_66

Indeed, Google is certainly bad but Microsoft is even worse by having a built-in keylogger within windows 10 and transferring personally identifiable info back to their servers without offering an opt-out for any of it.

19. The Weatherman macrumors member

If it's not "a thing" any longer, why do you still make weekly news about it? ;)

20. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

IE use to be king the Microsoft started thinking they could change how websites render things... Chrome is on the IE path right now, killing of select webkit standards, making a pain out of self sign certs (SSL)... rendering pages differently for Safari. Google better be careful

21. interessiert macrumors regular

Of course no Spy-me-out-CHROME - prefer Apple based built-in software - SAFARI together with GHOSTERY is the first choice :)
    (Know Firefox from Windows times longer ago - nearly every day an update and relauch - time comsuming...)

22. infinitedreams macrumors member

23. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

Nope. They use their own engine named "gecko", which is what came after the original Navigator engine.

The new engine, "Servo," is totally new though and written entirely in Rust.

I'm not a FF fanboy by any means but I'm excited to see what they've accomplished.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually it seems the iOS firefox is using Webkit
    Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_for_iOS