Mozilla Releases Firefox 57 'Quantum' Web Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

Adblock Plus is terrible. They sell ad spots for advertisers to get through their blocker. On Chrome and Firefox, you should use uBlock Origin.

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Upgraded and AdBlockPlus appears to be working.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 ---
    What surprised me is that the top bar of the FF window now looks like Microsoft to me.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Does seem faster but it sure is ugly - I'll get used to that but I wonder who designs these sites. AdBlock works for me.
    One of my favorite extensions doesn't - Password exporter. I would export these to be able to view when I needed the password on other platforms.
    I like firefox because I can set it to automatically delete history, cookies etc when it exits.

4. samden macrumors member

samden

As with most beta software, the beta had all kinds of analytics and logging turned on so I am sure that the release version will be less of a battery hog. How much though, I can't say.

Webkit is far from the de-facto engine. In fact a lot of desktop software is being written using a platform called Electron which is based on Chrome's V8 engine.

5. joelw135 macrumors 6502

joelw135

I love the speed of the new browser, but for me without Tab Mix Plus handling tabs is a pain in the butt. I like when i could manage tabs and load at the end or link in new tab. This doesn't work well for my work flow.

6. fairuz, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

Looks nice, but "lighter"... I'll have to see it to believe it. I feel like every browser has been claiming efficiency improvements for years when in reality they use more computing resources than ever before.

Their threading model looks promising. Chrome's naive way of one process per tab just wastes RAM and puts strain on the kernel. I complained about that from the start, and I was also annoyed when Safari adopted it.
    And also on Safari :)
    Besides, uBlock Origin definitely seems lighter than AdBlock and ABP, at least in my experience.

7. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

AdBlockPlus was updated to version 3.0.1 a few days ago as a web extension now so its supported, although there is work top do...

8. hamiltonrwatch, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

source?

That makes no sense. You can post blocking issues in EasyList's forum, & mods will write an exception for you to insert into AdBlock Plus filters.

Thank you! Didn't want to update until I was certain it was supported. And I'll give uBlock a go as well.

9. sparkles3020 macrumors newbie

I tried it on a 2014 macbook pro. It wasn't as fast as safari and fan temperature went up by 15-20 degrees. Very disappointed.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Just downloaded/Updated Firefox, loaded MacRumors on both Firefox and Safari, Safari is still (much) faster.

Yes, it's Fugly.

11. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

12. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

Agreed, definitely don't think that's the case. I only use uBO for the speed.
    And before, the whole thing looked like Chrome. I miss whatever actually original design they had before that.

13. Konigi macrumors newbie

Konigi

I like it so far, but just one question: is it possible to activate text replacements (as I programmed myself through macOS and iOS) in Firefox or Chrome? That's one of the main reasons that I use Safari, because I save time when I am writing stuff. And it's just disabled with Chrome and Firefox.

14. CPx macrumors 6502

Firefox finally fixed their color management for wide-gamut macs, two years after the wide-gamut iMac was released. :) They fixed it for still images, anyway. Video color is still messed up. Maybe another two years? ;)

15. kemo, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

If you use Safari on macOS, give extensions that are using content blocking API a try - much more efficient blocking.

16. skiabox macrumors member

There is no reason to search for hardware or operating system issues as long as chrome is working fine.
    As everything is working fine on chrome it is a 100% problem of firefox.

17. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Well I use Windows at work and just upgraded and it is much faster on my work HP laptop running Windows 8. I'll have to see how much better it is on my mac at home - I've mainly switched to Safari as it is but like having Firefox as an alternative. I only use Chrome for the in-browser version of Google Earth which is amazing.

18. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Tried it on my Late 2008 MacBook. Streaming video still lousy.

Maxthon is still the only browser I've found with which I can watch fullscreen, streaming video with no stuttering.

19. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

Good idea. I didn't know they brought that to macOS.

20. beerbaron23, Nov 15, 2017

beerbaron23 macrumors newbie

beerbaron23

In your "about:config" find "media.webm.enabled" and set it to "False" then restart. If your are on windowes then make sure you update your video card drivers direct from the manu, like nVidia, AMA or Intel, they have all released me ones
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2017 ---

A couple tabs? get a realt work load for ~30 tabs going and Firefox will always be way less then Chrome, every tab you open on Chrome eats ram, where on Firefox the inititial ram cost is greater (as the multiprocessing is for different parts, actions and rendering of the browser) Hence why there is not hiccups as theres never a process waiting/relying on the other to finish. That is what make Firefox so much more faster then Chrome now...

21. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Well I am posting from the Mac version and it is a very noticeable improvement in speed and smooth browsing indeed. Might start using it more often now.

22. Act3 macrumors 68000

chrome seems faster to me still on my old i7 windows 10 desktop

23. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Couldn't they have called it "Firefox Lithium" instead of "Firefox Quantum"?
    It's just v57 after all, not some uncollapsible wave function with fractal feathers.

I think I'll wait for 57.01 or so. I really don't feel like going through a whole mess of new settings, and looking for tricky privacy holes etc. just now. 56 is working, and I've got enough obfuscation that I don't get ads for CRISPR kits on Daily Kos anymore.
    Reviews sound basically nice so far, but there have to be a few nasty surprises waiting for me.
    At least it's not yet Chrome or Safari.

24. nutmac macrumors 68040

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

25. hamiltonrwatch, Nov 15, 2017

hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

I'll concede, per the info in your link, that they do indeed take money for "Acceptable Ads" but it still doesn't make sense. By default, "Acceptable Ads" is disabled and the end-user decides if they want to participate. What's the point then, for advertisers to pay them for content that will most likely be blocked anyway?

acceptable ads.jpeg