Mozilla Releases Firefox 57 'Quantum' Web Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. skiabox macrumors member

Tried what you said....problems with hd video remain...

2. Leguna24 Suspended

Leguna24

Is it worth switching back to Firefox from Chrome? I don't mind Chrome, but it seems somewhat resource hungry at times.

3. rukind2 macrumors member

I seem to have lost the pinch to zoom feature that functions in safari. Is there a setting that I am not seeing that allows this?

4. waveman macrumors member

waveman

On my MacBook Pro 17 Mid 2009, Chrome works still much faster, and it's able to play 720p videos on Youtube, whereas Firefox Quantum is till laggy, and slower in most cases. I also don't use Safari too often, as I usually work with multiple tabs, and without favicon support on Safari, it's a real pain to jump between tabs, unless you click "show all tabs", but it's an extra step which slows down my workflow.

5. alembic macrumors regular

When I enter keywords in the address bar (or search bar) and click the Submit Search arrow (or hit Return key), it simply opens the default search page. If I click the Submit Search arrow again, the search results are shown.

Is there a setting to force Firefox 57 to display search results from one click? or by hitting the Return key after entering the keywords?

6. lucastaylor macrumors newbie

lucastaylor

I am very angry. Firefox Quantum has destroyed all my parental control extensions.
    I think that Firefox Quantum does not help me to protect my children!

Thoses are essentials parental control features which don't find anywhere in firefox Quantum (57 and +) and which should be protected with a Master Password.
    -Disable Private Browsing menu option and keyboard shortcut.
    -Disable deletion of browsing history.
    -Disable the "disabling" or removal of any installed add-ons (WebExtensions).
    -Disable safe-mode start-up shortcut. (I don't care if if break up, it's on my child account)
    -Disable create new profile.

ALL of the extension that helped me to activate those features are Not compatible with Firefox Quantum :
    -Disable Private Browsing Plus by RichieB2B.
    -Public Fox by publicfox.

I don't want my kids to be able to disable my Parental Control Add-ons like: -Enforce Safe Search / Adult Content Filter -ProCon Latte Content Filter by Hunter Paolini (Another problem! This one is Not compatible with Firefox Quantum!)

I feel that Firefox Quantum does not care about the safety of our children. Please help us! Please let our children live their childhood!

I started a petition online:
    https://www.change.org/p/https-www-mozilla-org-better-parental-control-features-in-firefox
    Please sign it!

Firefox, please help us protect our children! Those Feature must be included natively in Firefox !

7. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

In my opinion, no. I use a combination of macOS , Windows, and Linux at work and home. My employer locks down the computers so that you can only use what they allow, which is Chrome, Firefox ( not Quantum ) , and Microsoft Edge.

Chrome is the only browser that works in all of these situations. That and it's been around for a significant amount of time, which means problems have either been solved or are well known. It's also very popular making it easy to find extensions and tutorials on how to get things done.

Compare that with Firefox Quantum, which is built from the ground up , hasn't been around for very long, not very popular, does not have a large extension library, and there hasn't been time for the kinks in the app to be exposed. It's a new shiny object that is worth trying, but I would not dump a tried and true tool for the shiny bauble just yet.

Install it on a dev computer , import bookmarks , and try it out. Don't delete your other browser(s) , though!

8. themastermind macrumors member

themastermind

I echo what everyone else has posted... problems with video. The browser is super speedy and I love the new layout, but I can't even get normal HTML5 video embeds to work, not to mention the problems with Youtube HD vids, etc. If they can fix those issues, Firefox then becomes a real competitor again!