Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting early next year, iOS 14 will require apps to get opt-in permission from users to collect their random advertising identifier, which advertisers use to deliver personalized ads and track how effective their campaigns were.

mozilla-thank-apple.jpg

This new requirement was actually set to go into effect by the end of 2020, but Apple delayed the introduction of the prompt until early 2021 to provide developers with more time to make the necessary changes. Regardless, some companies like Facebook are still unhappy about the upcoming change, and a group of advertising companies and publishers in France have gone as far as filing an antitrust complaint over the matter.

This pressure from some advertisers has led Firefox maker Mozilla to launch a new page in which it urges people to show their support for Apple's decision, so that it does not further delay. "We need a massive outpouring of support for Apple's decision to help strengthen its resolve to protect consumer privacy," says Mozilla. "Sign this thank you to let Apple know consumers are eagerly anticipating anti-tracking protection on iPhone."

Last year, Mozilla urged Apple to reset the unique IDs used to serve interest-based ads in the App Store and Apple News apps on a monthly basis. Mozilla now says that Apple "went even further than what Mozilla supporters had asked for," calling the planned anti-tracking changes a "huge win for consumers."

Article Link: Mozilla Urges Users to Support Apple's Planned Anti-Tracking Changes: 'A Huge Win for Consumers'

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Privacy and security are two of the biggest reasons I've ingrained myself in the Apple ecosystem. Android treats security as an after thought.

Anything that makes Facebook suffer is a good thing. Can't wait to not opt-in to all of this crap, if you want my data you can pay me for it.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Privacy and security are two of the biggest reasons I've ingrained myself in the Apple ecosystem. Android treats security as an after thought.

Anything that makes Facebook suffer is a good thing. Can't wait to not opt-in to all of this crap, if you want my data you can pay me for it.
What do you expect? The message to limit big data is pretty weak when you are big data. Something Apple doesn't have to deal with.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
This is great, even though I do not use Mozilla products... great initiative!
Now Google, follow the lead!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There’s an alternative universe out there where ads don’t suck. They tell you what you want exactly as you were about to ask a question. What should you get your spouse for Christmas? Boom - the exact right ad shows up and tells you the answer - no stress for you or the merchant and the spouse is happy.

The advertisers have endless data at their disposal - why are they so incredibly bad at actually serving useful ads?

In a world where ads actually function well, websites could be paid $1/ad placement - no longer would they be blanketed in ads and struggling for money. They’d show an ad once every 100 visits - you’d see fewer ads on MacRumors (or any other website) than donation requests on Wikipedia.

Where did we go so wrong with ads?

Last edited:
Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

Agree. I can foresee a system where we’ll need to pay for more services because we are no longer the same product. That’s a good thing.

Reactions: Boyyai

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Agree. I can foresee a system where we’ll need to pay for more services because we are no longer the same product. That’s a good thing.
Fine by me. There's very few services that I currently get for free that I feel I need enough to pay for, happy to see these services die or go to a paid for system.

The services I really like or need I already pay for. iCloud storage, Netflix, Disney+, music. I've deleted all but one of my social media accounts and that last one will probably be deleted in the next year.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Man, this is truly painful for FB but it isn’t growing up so maybe this will fix it. Apple has grown a lot as a socially responsible company (don’t get me wrong, they aren’t great by any means) under Tim Cook and it is nice to see them driving doing the right thing rather than money grabbing. MS has also grown up to be more open and responsible. If only some of the internet unicorns like FB did the same they might get more support from younger generations.

Reactions: apple404

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
This is a huge reason I stay with Apple, aside from the great integration between its products (I’m all in at the moment, after a few years with android and chrome OS as a sideshow OS).

Even if they would give me the upcoming Galaxy S21 for free, I would choose my good old iPhone 8 Plus over that one any day.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
They wanted my email address. And then, of course, they pumped me for a 'donation.'
Says someone who pays hefty sums for Apple hardware? Because that is the only way they can finance their “free” software part.
Those who just provide software - and the general public expects browsers to be for free - can’t compete with that model. Apple sells you hardware, Google your data, and Microsoft all the cloud services.
Compared to that Mozilla is a dwarf, and yes - they have an impossible “business” model - but they are honest, have an independent browser engine, a wonderful developer resource and simply rely on donations. Just as all the other awesome guys out there, who provide free software, but will be happy if you show appreciation. And much of the stuff you use daily - even on your fancy Apple devices - is created by them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.