Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, we've been saying this for a while it should be 'opt in' for users tracking, and one company actually does something about it..

ya, they deserve to be praised by others in the same space

This is long overdue world wide. Since everyone is in the space to make revenue, i can see why no one took it seriously.

No one bothered to fix it, they waited too long, and now when one company does do the right thing, everyone else complains lol

funny.

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
There’s an alternative universe out there where ads don’t suck. They tell you what you want exactly as you were able to ask a question. What should you get your spouse for Christmas? Boom - the exact right ad shows up and tells you the answer - no stress for you or the merchant and the spouse is happy.

The advertisers have endless data at their disposal - why are they so incredibly bad at actually serving useful ads?

In a world where ads actually function well, websites could be paid $1/ad placement - no longer would they be blanketed in ads and struggling for money. They’d show an ad once every 100 visits - you’d see fewer ads on MacRumors (or any other website) than donation requests on Wikipedia.

Where did we go so wrong with ads?
There’s a universe out there where ads don’t exist period. Where users can navigate their life both online and in the real world and see reality for how it is and not have ideas, objects & behaviours planted into their mind by people who pay for that privilege. Where only people who have taken the consumer path in life can voluntarily expose themselves to it the same way certain people (they exist) stay up late and watch infomercials for cheap junk.

The sights and sounds I see when walking around my city, and the sites and sounds I see online should be authentic representations of the place I reside or visit. There was a comedian who said many years ago “if it has to be advertised to you then you don’t need it, you don’t see advertisements for air, water, security or family” meaning people should remember anytime they see an advertisement “someone is paying money for this idea/object/brand/trend to be put into my mind.” And never forget that fact.

I have used ad-blockers in all fashions across all devices since they were first released, I have avoided going to places because of rampart advertising, I haven’t watched sports in over a decade because of unavoidable advertising (I dream of a day where sports are just single colour clothed individuals expressing their physical skills in an arena filled with human voices and chanting and not loud assaulting pop-music and billboards on every viewable angle but that’s a seperate conversation.)

if we have proper ranking systems of quality in society that reward things of merit with exposure, then new inventions or genuinely good inventions and ideas will rise to the top and reach their intended customers hands and minds, not purchased.

to conclude this small rant, I agree with Bill Hicks on Marketing :)

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
There was a comedian who said many years ago “if it has to be advertised to you then you don’t need it, you don’t see advertisements for air, water, security or family”

I loved your entire response/rant, and I agree with it - particularly that quote here. I don't suppose you recall what comedian it was who said it do you? It's a quote I'll never forget, for sure. Would love to provide attribution for it if you can recall.

Reactions: Boyyai and InGen

InGen

Suspended
Jun 22, 2020
I loved your entire response/rant, and I agree with it - particularly that quote here. I don't suppose you recall what comedian it was who said it do you? It's a quote I'll never forget, for sure. Would love to provide attribution for it if you can recall.
I am almost certain it was Russell Brand in one of his stand-up shows from about 5 years ago

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Anything that makes Facebook suffer is a good thing. Can't wait to not opt-in to all of this crap, if you want my data you can pay me for it.
I totally agree... and to add to this, consumers ARE being "paid" for the data they provide in a sense, in that they benefit from the services that companies like Facebook and Google offer. They receive access to the services in exchange for their personal information and interest in the ads and other paid services that might be offered.

The modern-day adage "the consumer is the product" is true in this sense, at least when it comes to companies like Facebook and Google that offer you so much for free. Every bit of data you provide goes into building their products, provided you don't opt-out of everything (when you are able).

Reactions: rmariboe

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Privacy and security are two of the biggest reasons I've ingrained myself in the Apple ecosystem. Android treats security as an after thought.

Anything that makes Facebook suffer is a good thing. Can't wait to not opt-in to all of this crap, if you want my data you can pay me for it.
They are paying you though; their services is a payment...

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
There’s an alternative universe out there where ads don’t suck. They tell you what you want exactly as you were able to ask a question. What should you get your spouse for Christmas? Boom - the exact right ad shows up and tells you the answer - no stress for you or the merchant and the spouse is happy.

The advertisers have endless data at their disposal - why are they so incredibly bad at actually serving useful ads?

In a world where ads actually function well, websites could be paid $1/ad placement - no longer would they be blanketed in ads and struggling for money. They’d show an ad once every 100 visits - you’d see fewer ads on MacRumors (or any other website) than donation requests on Wikipedia.

Where did we go so wrong with ads?
That would probably have to do with privacy regulations ?

KidAKidB

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2014
Toronto
Privacy and security are two of the biggest reasons I've ingrained myself in the Apple ecosystem. Android treats security as an after thought.

I don't think you know the difference between security and privacy. Android is very secure.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I don't think you know the difference between security and privacy. Android is very secure.
I absolutely do and since when is Android secure? I've seen countless examples of viruses, apps that harvest data, fake app stores putting god knows what onto your device, phones without support just months after release. What an utterly stupid statement.

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Apple isn't perfect, but they are pretty much the last chance this world is going to have for anything close to privacy. Everyone else is in zombie mode or too small to matter.
This is probably one of the most important responses in this entire thread. In a world where data is king (I'm looking at you Amazon, Google, Facebook, et al), giving your users the choice to opt in to having their data used is paramount to building trust. The current model of we put advertisements everywhere so we collect ad revenue to keep our site running needs to change.

Take for example, the Seattle Times. I would GLADLY pay $0.50-1.00 for every single article that Bob Condotta writes about the Seahawks. No questions asked. Instead of news outlets making it easier for me to pay to consume content, they force advertising down my throat. Or, they force me to purchase the entire menu instead of a la carte. This needs to change. User choice has never been as paramount as it is today, and I hope Apple keeps betting big on this. I will continue to upgrade my Apple products because I like new tech even though I don't need the M1 chip to surf the web.

jdsingle

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
Dumb question - but isn't the whole reason that XDA exists to modify the Android OS indicative that it, in fact, is not very secure? Asking out of ignorance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.