Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
I was wondering if someone could explain this lack of performance I´m faced since I´ll try to run this MP 1.1

Facts :

- MP 1.1 2 x DC 2.66
- 7 GB DDR2 667
- FWM 1.1
- OSX El Cap. 10.11.5
- 240GB SSD
- GPU HD5770 1GB GDDR5 - non EFI !

When I´m benching this MP for ex. in cinebench the HD5770 only gains to 25,3fps OpenGL which represents an very poor reslut.

An orig. Apple 5770 should be arround 37fps what I´ve seen.

Does someone knows the root cause for this lack, or is the non EFI the reason for this poor performance and should improve after flash ?

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
I can't help with an explanation but I can let you know my 5,1 scores 52.81 fps. Quad core, 2.8GHz, 48GB RAM, 5770, Mavericks. Perhaps there's some relationship between OpenGL performance and other components of the system (outside of the video card itself)?

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
Don't use Cinebench, it's not meaningful at all.

Possibly but that wouldn´t explain the difference , same card , same bench different results

I can't help with an explanation but I can let you know my 5,1 scores 52.81 fps. Quad core, 2.8GHz, 48GB RAM, 5770, Mavericks. Perhaps there's some relationship between OpenGL performance and other components of the system (outside of the video card itself)?

thank´s thats a good reference and underscores my suspicion that my 5770 isn´t going clear.

Indeed the other parts could be an bottleneck but i was afraid that one of the drivers isn´t going right.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Possibly but that wouldn´t explain the difference , same card , same bench different results

It does: Cinebench is heavily CPU limited, so your score is mostly determined by your CPU performance. It's pointless trying to measure the GPU performance like that.

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
It does: Cinebench is heavily CPU limited, so your score is mostly determined by your CPU performance. It's pointless trying to measure the GPU performance like that.

O okay thanks didnt even know that. Is there any recommendation to compare or lets say to check if the drivers and card are performing properply ?

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Another data point for you. I removed the 5770 from my 5,1 and installed it in my 3,1. Cinebench OpenGL score was 40.94 fps on this system. However there are a lot of variables from the 5,1: Dual quad core 2.8GHz, 6GB RAM, El Capitain. This appears to support Fl0r!an's statement.

Edit: From Maxon's Cinebench details page:

How big is the influence of the surrounding system when measuring graphics card performance?

Graphics card performance as measured by CINEBENCH reflects the power of the graphics card in combination with the system as a whole. Unfortunately the system contribution cannot be specifically measured. The same graphics card in a faster computer will typically give better results than in a slower system. The overall performance depends on various factors including processor, memory bus and chipset.

http://www.maxon.net/products/cinebench/technical-information.html

Last edited:

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Unigine Heaven / Valley is putting a lot more load onto the GPU, so it's less CPU dependent. I can't provide any comparable benchmarks though.

A "half" working GPU would be very uncommon btw. Either you have full acceleration or you don't, there's not much in between.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Can you test it with a 10.8 installation?
If my memory is ok, isn't there a degradation in performance for these older systems after mavericks?
Is this question intended for me? If so are you referring to the 5,1 or the 3,1?

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
Thanks lads for your suggestions.

I will have a try wirh the named benchmarks tmrw and will present you the results

By the end of this week I'll reciev an HD5870 and will test this one also flashed/unflashed to see if there is already a bottleneck for the HD5770 or possibly the card/driver is not working fine.

By the end of this month I will do the 2.1 X5365 Quad Upgrade and donate him 32GB of RAM to se how much the score will increase.

Also want to appretiate the idea with the 10.8 downgrade.

If there is some free time on the weekend i will try the same benches on 10.7 / 10.8 and possibly 10.9 to check if there are any differences.

Cheers

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
So lads update for today.

Just installed the 5870 in slot 1 ... nothing , chime but no signal

switched the card to slot 2 and get picture on the screen ...

benching the twice faster card again in cinebench just to compare ... dropt to 22fps !

Btw. Heard a buzzing noise from the PSU , must be influenced by the bigger consumption of the new card.

In the end it would be to loud and the porformance is really limited heavy by the old CPUs and I'm quite not sure if the Quad Upgrade would race the HD5870 or if even the PSU would press more consumption.

So ... nice idea but gonna sell this one not wort much more upgrade

haltezeit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
Salzburg Austria
Evening Amigos !

... put in some work an was running that 5870 !

Here the facts :

• flashed my PowerColor 5870PCS+ with the vervet_netkas.rom got bootscreen and native regonize in OSX *yeay*
  • After flashing the MP 1.1 detects and powers the card in slot 1 !
  • My mistake was not running the 5870 in pic-e 8x in slot 2 just on 1x *dummy me*
  • After running on slot 1 in 16x i benched it again in cineb
[doublepost=1466722730][/doublepost]... and one more score with Uningine latest version, i think a quite good score cheers !

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 00.29.40.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 00.29.40.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 00.53.05.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 00.53.05.png
    213.1 KB · Views: 235
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.