Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's slower. Even on subsequent boots.

Testing 0138 for boot support was an early step. The drives can be selected in startup disk, but the system will not boot from them. All you get is a longer / delayed boot, staring at the grey screen form an extra 30 seconds.

Yeah, I found the same as far as no NVMe boot support.

Next problem...

138.0.0.0.0 + Nvme injection doesn't work on my machine.

Dump goes fine, DXEinject goes fine, programming mode boot goes fine, flashing goes fine... End result... NVMe not bootable.

Several pram resets, restarts, reboots... NVMe not detected by boot picker and won't boot...

Reflashed to 0089-NVMe and it's all back to normal...

So I guess I'm locked to this firmware version.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Last edited:

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
These are some great updates via the firmware!

I am keeping my hopes up that we will get boot screens. I cannot see Apple saying "Yeah, you can run your RX560 / 580 but sorry, you can't have security via FileVault". Security is paramount these days, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Is this new boot rom available for high sierra or just for the beta Mojave install, can I flash the boot rom with out Mojave installation? If yes guys any links to tools needed and the new boot rom file?

Matty

Pandanl

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Has anyone booted in windows and tested GPU-Z to check if it runs at 5GT/s?

If it does than this will means a few extra fps in games.

BTW: what is the link to do a bug report for Nvme?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I could be totally wrong, but from what I saw investigating the 138.0.0.0.0 binary and other things, Apple will get the firmware updates more dynamically for now on, the firmware changed a lot.

I found some interesting things but some of that seems covered in NDA until Mojave release. All the needed things still present, so not need to worry much. You still can easily personalise MP51.fd for example.

Correct, and be careful that this firmware version may allow Apple update our firmware automatically like all other modern Mac does.

For the newer Mac users, firmware update is a transparent process. If that happens on any NVMe EFI injected cMP, the NVMe bootability may be killed without any warning to the user.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Is this new boot rom available for high sierra or just for the beta Mojave install,
Only on Mojave DP7/PB6 full installer.
can I flash the boot rom with out Mojave installation?

Yes, just run the Mojave DP7/PB6 full installer and do as the screen says. When the firmware flash completes and you return to High Sierra with the Mojave installer app opened, close it.

Reactions: misanthrophy

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, I did already, so what happens if you keep filing a bug report on the same thing?

Yes, open another bug report and tell them the latest 138.0.0.0.0 firmware still can’t boot MVMe yet.

In worst case, they just determine that’s a duplicated report and close it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
These are some great updates via the firmware!

I am keeping my hopes up that we will get boot screens. I cannot see Apple saying "Yeah, you can run your RX560 / 580 but sorry, you can't have security via FileVault". Security is paramount these days, so keeping my fingers crossed.

This is another must filed bug report. This FileVault issue may end up force them to provide us boot screen with any PC GPU. If we are lucky enough. The Nvidia GPU may also able to get some basic support. That may allow us to install web driver without any help from Mac EFI / remote control.

Reactions: mbnt and bookemdano

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK

Yes, just run the Mojave DP7/PB6 full installer and do as the screen says. When the firmware flash completes and you return to High Sierra with the Mojave installer app opened, close it.

Thanks very much! Will try it later when home:)

MriX

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Germany
This is another must filed bug report. This FileVault issue may end up force them to provide us boot screen with any PC GPU. If we are lucky enough. The Nvidia GPU may also able to get some basic support. That may allow us to install web driver without any help from Mac EFI / remote control.

I have already opened a issue for that. I hope others will also open a issue

Pandanl

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
im happy to report that with testing by @Gamer9430

the new BootROM enables PCIe 2.0 for his stock GTX 1070 in windows (BIOS install IIRC) :D

ill let him post the pictures :)

That is awesome, will sure give some more frames in VR which are much needed.

I will update tonight to the latest bootROM and see if the RX 480 also does 5GT/s under Windows.

Last edited:

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Just wanted to share:

Firmware update to 138.0.0.0 went fine on my 4.1>5.1 with 3.46ghz 12 and AMD RX480 8GB

Black Screens during Firmware update.

It rebooted into High Sierra after the firmware update. Installing Mojave now...

RX480 shows 5GT/s

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 13.31.17.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 13.31.50.png

RamMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2018

Is there a way to get "official" PB full installer? I am Public Beta tester...
[doublepost=1534256015][/doublepost]
Is there a way to get "official" PB full installer? I am Public Beta tester...
Found a way, sign in to your Public Beta account on App Public Beta website and there you click show it in Mac App store. I am sorry I could not remember the correct place in Apple Public Beta website, but there is a link, when you click it opens the full installer in Mac App store.

Reactions: t8er8

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Seeing that this new 138.0.0.0 bootrom may disable NVMe booting it would be nice if posters could include info ( after upgrading the bootrom ) whether their boot drive is AHCI or NVMe.

EDIT : My NVMe M.2 960 boots 10.13.6 formatted to HFS+

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Seeing that this new 138.0.0.0 bootrom may disable NVMe booting it would be nice if posters could include info ( after upgrading the bootrom ) whether their boot drive is AHCI or NVMe.

EDIT : My NVMe M.2 960 boots 10.13.6 formatted to HFS+

138.0.0.0.0 was able to boot both AHCI Sierra/Mojave on HFS+ and APFS.

No booting at all with NVMe on my machine. I may try again later to see if I overlooked something, but I don't expect a positive result.

Reactions: t8er8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.