Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
What if you order your new MBP with a SSD, it then is given the 3.0 Gb/s bus?

So far, no one that has ordered their MBP with a SSD has received a 1.5 Gb/s bus, while no one that has ordered their MBP with a mechanical HD has received a 3.0 Gb/s bus. At least, as far as I know (this is the point of this thread!)

Can people that have purchased a new MBP confirm these suspicions? In a business sense, this would make sense. Apple would then basically force all consumers to use Apple's SSD upgrade option. Otherwise, if the consumer were to upgrade after purchase - their SSD upgrade would provide a lot less of a performance boost.

Discuss and Confirm.

EDIT:

Current Theory

ALL New 13" MBP's have the 1.5 GB/s hard drive transfer rate

ALL New 15" MBP's with a mechanical hard drive, have the 1.5 GB/s transfer rate
ALL New 15" MBP's with a solid state disk, have the 3.0 GB/s transfer rate

ALL New 17" MBP's have the 3.0 Gb/S hard drive transfer rate

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
That does sound logical actually. It makes sense for you to have to buy their SDD's as they are ridiculously more expensive. hmm

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
If only we had a 20+ page thread already discussing this...

I'm really not that stupid .. the point being, this is a speculation regarding that discussion. Rather than combine all that stuff into a thread full of ranting and anger, why not try and come to an educated conclusion? Clearly, this isn't happening at random.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Another theory: Apple is cheap and shafts us because they know we'll still buy it.:(

Has anyone even ordered an SSD MacBook Pro yet? Do we have confirmation of a faster speed on those?

I've seen a thread where someone bought a 17" with SSD BTO and got a 1.5... but I can't find it :(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Another theory: Apple is cheap and shafts us because they know we'll still buy it.:(

Has anyone even ordered an SSD MacBook Pro yet? Do we have confirmation of a faster speed on those?

Sad but true. I'm sure the people that buy the SSD from the build-to-order options aren't enthusiasts.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Sad but true. I'm sure the people that buy the SSD from the build-to-order options aren't enthusiasts.

Well... if I wanted the SSD I wouldn't change my mind because of the 1.5 SATA. It would still be an upgrade from the HDD. The reason I won't get an SSD is that nothing I do on my laptop would ever need a SSD speed... But I can understand that some people who wanted to invest 500$ on a SSD would not be so enthusiasts about the lower speed... Clearly was a big mistake on Apple side.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
So far, no one that has ordered their MBP with a SSD has received a 1.5 Gb/s bus, while no one that has ordered their MBP with a mechanical HD has received a 3.0 Gb/s bus. At least, as far as I know (this is the point of this thread!)

I have a new MBP, came with a 250 Gig HDD ..... SATA Bus is 3.0 Ghz

Apple Store Retail Price - $1999

Now to be fair, my MBP may not be *new* enough for your comparison. It was purchased 3 weeks before WWDC.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I've seen a thread where someone bought a 17" with SSD BTO and got a 1.5... but I can't find it :(

While I do trust you, I think requiring proof would only allow us to completely disregard my theory.

I have a new MBP, came with a 250 Gig HDD ..... SATA Bus is 3.0 Ghz

Apple Store Retail Price - $1999

Now to be fair, my MBP may not be *new* enough for your comparison. It was purchased 3 weeks before WWDC.

Unfortunately, you do not meet the qualifications. All MBP/MB pre-WWDC's releasal of the new lineup had 3Gb/s HD transfer rates. This is good news for you if you want to upgrade to a SSD, however.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
I'm really not that stupid .. the point being, this is a speculation regarding that discussion. Rather than combine all that stuff into a thread full of ranting and anger, why not try and come to an educated conclusion? Clearly, this isn't happening at random.

You want to discuss the discussion in a new thread about the discussion? Listen This same question has been asked at least 4x in the other thread and while the rumor is that someone who ordered an ssd will get 3.0, it has not happened yet. This has been explained MULTIPLE times in the OTHER thread.

I know I will post a thread to open a discussion on if built in batteries in macbook pros are bad or not...

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
You want to discuss the discussion in a new thread about the discussion? Listen This same question has been asked at least 4x in the other thread and while the rumor is that someone who ordered an ssd will get 3.0, it has not happened yet. This has been explained MULTIPLE times in the OTHER thread.

I know I will post a thread to open a discussion on if built in batteries in macbook pros are bad or not...

i agree with you

this will turn into some video card discussion with this dwalls09

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland

It was about pre-unibody MBP - these all had SATA 1.5 Gb/s.

While I do trust you, I think requiring proof would only allow us to completely disregard my theory.

I think you'll have to disregard it anyway, someone in that monstrously long thread said their new MBP with SSD uses SATA 1.5 Gb/s as well.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
It has already been confirmed the configure to order SSD's are 1.5 SATA as well - I read it on a thread that someone who just recieved theirs this morning. Bummer...

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
According to the following poster from the main thread it looks like SSD's are NOT shipping with 3.0

Just got my 2.53 13 umbp bto today with the 256 ssd and I was shocked to see that its sata I 1.5mbps. I had no idea of this issue and in googling it I found this thread. VERY DISAPPOINTED to say the least. Ive been waiting on the 13(well 12 really) since my 12 powerbook and have been using this big 15 ever since waiting patiently for the update. Now that its here I feel gyped. $800 bucks down the drain is what Im thinking to myself right now. I was a long time lurker here a while back and I had a few posts, Im sad that I didnt see this issue sooner. I mean yea its fast but I want this thing to last 5 years and not be worthless because the next gen ssd's will be choked out with a sata I. I havent done the research on it yet but CAN I even return this thing because its a build to order? Might have to cut my throat and put it on sleezebay for a 500 loss. What a let down.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
i agree with you

this will turn into some video card discussion with this dwalls09

I'm glad to see your username is bigger than your maturity level. No where in this thread was a GPU even referenced to.

i have a new mid June 17" 2.8 with a 5400rpm drive and it's 3.0g.

All new 17" MBP's are not involved in this 1.5/3.0 GB/s 'issue'.

It was about pre-unibody MBP - these all had SATA 1.5 Gb/s.

I think you'll have to disregard it anyway, someone in that monstrously long thread said their new MBP with SSD uses SATA 1.5 Gb/s as well.

Link me to their screen shot.

According to the following poster from the main thread it looks like SSD's are NOT shipping with 3.0

See above.

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Two different people said their 13" MBPs with SSD arrived and that they use SATA 1.5 Gb/s. They didn't post any screenshots, but it doesn't make information any less or more reliable.

I hope you realize SSDs Apple sells aren't the fast ones that may be affected by slower SATA. There would be no reason to enable SATA 3 Gb/s in 15" MBPs with SSD and not do so in other models, unless Apple planned to announce to everyone that they're fighting the practice of upgrading drives in less expensive model - very unlikely as it's considered user-upgradeable and described in manuals.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I have edited my theory to reflect the new user posts!

So your initial theory was proven wrong????

EDIT: I will be at an Apple Store tomorrow morning picking up two new notebooks. I could check all those on display???

Perhaps I should post the results in a new thread? :D

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
i am 100% sure there are 17" MBPs with 1.5 issue...

I've actually looked through that monster of a thread and didn't come across this at all.

Pre-unibody 17" MBPs had 1.5 Gb SATA, fyi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.