MPB SATA 1.5/3.0 Gb/s Theory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwalls90, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

What if you order your new MBP with a SSD, it then is given the 3.0 Gb/s bus?

So far, no one that has ordered their MBP with a SSD has received a 1.5 Gb/s bus, while no one that has ordered their MBP with a mechanical HD has received a 3.0 Gb/s bus. At least, as far as I know (this is the point of this thread!)

Can people that have purchased a new MBP confirm these suspicions? In a business sense, this would make sense. Apple would then basically force all consumers to use Apple's SSD upgrade option. Otherwise, if the consumer were to upgrade after purchase - their SSD upgrade would provide a lot less of a performance boost.

Discuss and Confirm.

EDIT:

Current Theory

ALL New 13" MBP's have the 1.5 GB/s hard drive transfer rate

ALL New 15" MBP's with a mechanical hard drive, have the 1.5 GB/s transfer rate
    ALL New 15" MBP's with a solid state disk, have the 3.0 GB/s transfer rate

ALL New 17" MBP's have the 3.0 Gb/S hard drive transfer rate

2. qpid macrumors regular

If only we had a 20+ page thread already discussing this...

3. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

That does sound logical actually. It makes sense for you to have to buy their SDD's as they are ridiculously more expensive. hmm

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Another theory: Apple is cheap and shafts us because they know we'll still buy it.:(

Has anyone even ordered an SSD MacBook Pro yet? Do we have confirmation of a faster speed on those?

5. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm really not that stupid .. the point being, this is a speculation regarding that discussion. Rather than combine all that stuff into a thread full of ranting and anger, why not try and come to an educated conclusion? Clearly, this isn't happening at random.

6. UrFatMom macrumors regular

I've seen a thread where someone bought a 17" with SSD BTO and got a 1.5... but I can't find it :(

7. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Sad but true. I'm sure the people that buy the SSD from the build-to-order options aren't enthusiasts.

8. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Well... if I wanted the SSD I wouldn't change my mind because of the 1.5 SATA. It would still be an upgrade from the HDD. The reason I won't get an SSD is that nothing I do on my laptop would ever need a SSD speed... But I can understand that some people who wanted to invest 500$ on a SSD would not be so enthusiasts about the lower speed... Clearly was a big mistake on Apple side.

9. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I really want to find this info also. Can someone who ordered a MacBook Pro with SSD confirm if they have 1.5 or 3.0?

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have a new MBP, came with a 250 Gig HDD ..... SATA Bus is 3.0 Ghz

Apple Store Retail Price - $1999

Now to be fair, my MBP may not be *new* enough for your comparison. It was purchased 3 weeks before WWDC.

11. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

While I do trust you, I think requiring proof would only allow us to completely disregard my theory.

Unfortunately, you do not meet the qualifications. All MBP/MB pre-WWDC's releasal of the new lineup had 3Gb/s HD transfer rates. This is good news for you if you want to upgrade to a SSD, however.

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Are these even shipping yet?

13. qpid macrumors regular

You want to discuss the discussion in a new thread about the discussion? Listen This same question has been asked at least 4x in the other thread and while the rumor is that someone who ordered an ssd will get 3.0, it has not happened yet. This has been explained MULTIPLE times in the OTHER thread.

I know I will post a thread to open a discussion on if built in batteries in macbook pros are bad or not...

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i agree with you

this will turn into some video card discussion with this dwalls09

15. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Another theory: It could just be the taste.

From NYC Subway whiskey advertisements :p

16. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i have a new mid June 17" 2.8 with a 5400rpm drive and it's 3.0g.

17. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

It was about pre-unibody MBP - these all had SATA 1.5 Gb/s.

I think you'll have to disregard it anyway, someone in that monstrously long thread said their new MBP with SSD uses SATA 1.5 Gb/s as well.

18. jeme macrumors regular

It has already been confirmed the configure to order SSD's are 1.5 SATA as well - I read it on a thread that someone who just recieved theirs this morning. Bummer...

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

According to the following poster from the main thread it looks like SSD's are NOT shipping with 3.0

20. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm glad to see your username is bigger than your maturity level. No where in this thread was a GPU even referenced to.

All new 17" MBP's are not involved in this 1.5/3.0 GB/s 'issue'.

Link me to their screen shot.

See above.

21. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I have edited my theory to reflect the new user posts!

22. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Two different people said their 13" MBPs with SSD arrived and that they use SATA 1.5 Gb/s. They didn't post any screenshots, but it doesn't make information any less or more reliable.

I hope you realize SSDs Apple sells aren't the fast ones that may be affected by slower SATA. There would be no reason to enable SATA 3 Gb/s in 15" MBPs with SSD and not do so in other models, unless Apple planned to announce to everyone that they're fighting the practice of upgrading drives in less expensive model - very unlikely as it's considered user-upgradeable and described in manuals.

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

So your initial theory was proven wrong????

EDIT: I will be at an Apple Store tomorrow morning picking up two new notebooks. I could check all those on display???

Perhaps I should post the results in a new thread? :D

24. Ploki macrumors 68000

i am 100% sure there are 17" MBPs with 1.5 issue...

25. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I've actually looked through that monster of a thread and didn't come across this at all.

Pre-unibody 17" MBPs had 1.5 Gb SATA, fyi.