Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
SiliconAddict said:
that whole firing unpleasantness thing that would happen if I loaded unauthorized software office wide.
So just get it authorized ;)
Only 4 of the machines in my farm fold 24/7. But the rest (12) do make a big difference.
Don't go the 'ilegal' way, it has been tried before. In the end, the earned points didn't count.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Sorry to go off topic but I just added the sawtooth G4 in my sig and I might add my ibook.

Will my sawtooth and ibook experience heating problems? Also here in spain is about 37 degrees C. Also If i quit folding at homewhile its folding and restart the program will it save my progress cuz I did it once but it started from 0 again. Another thing Can the computers fold while asleep?

Thanks

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Patmian212 said:
Sorry to go off topic but I just added the sawtooth G4 in my sig and I might add my ibook.

Will my sawtooth and ibook experience heating problems? Also here in spain is about 37 degrees C. Also If i quit folding at homewhile its folding and restart the program will it save my progress cuz I did it once but it started from 0 again. Another thing Can the computers fold while asleep?

Thanks

It will be fine, here in Australia where the temp goes near its 40's the iBook handles itself well. My cpu temp goes into its 60 degrees. I believe the cpu can handle 95 degrees. Download a freeware program that monitors temp.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Wow Siliconaddict! That would make us the #1 team in two days aro so :D Anyhow, talk to the systemadministrator, put it on your own computer, tell collegues about it and ask if they also install it. Also, if you only have those machines folding for 8 hours a day, it would be quite a boost!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hehehe ok well sounds like Ill star folding on my ibook aswell, last question(sorry for being anal) but is folding 24/7 on an ibook a good idea(with high temps and all) or should I only folding for short periods at a tim ie 8 or 9 hours, sorry fo being dumb I just dont wanna fry me new beloved ibook :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bousozoku said:
Considering that the team was once 33 (without aggregates), it's not so bad still.

Still, the more people folding for the team the better.

I won't use my 1Ghz 12" Powerbook since its not fast and if it gets slower I'll cry, but my Uni gave me a 3.4GHz P4 with Hyperthreading and 2GB of RAM, so maybe I'll try and contribute. ;) I could just keep that puppy going forever.

@SiliconAddict: Just talk to system admin. They may not be your machines, but if there's no harm to them, especially at night, it

Question: Would my system ever go to sleep if I'm folding all the time, even at night? Will my CPU be running at 100% or anything close to that at all times? Seems harsh, and another reason I'm not going to use my PB for that. Sorry, but that has always been my main concern.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Patmian212 said:
Hehehe ok well sounds like Ill star folding on my ibook aswell, last question(sorry for being anal) but is folding 24/7 on an ibook a good idea(with high temps and all) or should I only folding for short periods at a tim ie 8 or 9 hours, sorry fo being dumb I just dont wanna fry me new beloved ibook :p

I wouldn't let it on 24/7 during July and August, at least not where you live. I had trouble keeping my fan from going wild, not doing much at all during those months in Madrid. Just my 2¢

Tenéis un calor increíble en estos meses en Madrid. :p

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Patmian212 said:

All the answers are in the FAQ thread, and this question is asked about once a week, so, here again the same answer: Your laptop can handle the heat, but if you leave it folding 24/7 it's a good idea to get a coolingpad. Also it's recommended to leave the processorspeed on automatic in energysaver. Welcome to folding!! You to Abstract, and nice setup, despite that it is a wintel box

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Abstract said:
I won't use my 1Ghz 12" Powerbook since its not fast and if it gets slower I'll cry, but my Uni gave me a 3.4GHz P4 with Hyperthreading and 2GB of RAM, so maybe I'll try and contribute. ;) I could just keep that puppy going forever.

@SiliconAddict: Just talk to system admin. They may not be your machines, but if there's no harm to them, especially at night, it

Question: Would my system ever go to sleep if I'm folding all the time, even at night? Will my CPU be running at 100% or anything close to that at all times? Seems harsh, and another reason I'm not going to use my PB for that. Sorry, but that has always been my main concern.

No, your system wouldn't go to sleep and yes, the CPU would be running at 100 % all the time. In fact, my 1.33 GHz PowerBook is doing that right now. Of course, it has a limited warranty and I'd rather it fail before the warranty is gone.

This week, my dual 800 has provided 431 points and my PB has provided 366. They were nearly even yesterday but the PB is now working on another big point WU. That doesn't say much for the performance of the 800 MHz G4, does it?

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Argh, this makes me feel even worse about forgetting to install folding on my new powerbook.

I'll go do it now.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
I've got 130 3Ghz Dell desktops, 60 1.7Ghz Pentium M Thinkpads, 2 IBM XSeries both with quad Xeons at 3Ghz, 1 Compaq Prolient with quad Pentium Pros at 200Mhz, and a AS/400. I would love to help you out but there is that whole firing unpleasantness thing that would happen if I loaded unauthorized software office wide. I kinda like my job. Well kinda. I could do without the outsourcing politics that is emerging but that's a different discussion. Hmmm I could roll this software out in our login scripts and tell everyone to leave their computers on 24/7. Wonder how long I could get away with it before.... *shakes head* never mind. Bad idea. :D

Talk to head head IT you never know... :cool:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Patmian212 said:

Happy to hear that you have decided to fold with the MacRumors team, welcome. You shouldn't feel dumb at all. I had a lot of questions when I started also. My iBook is running 24/7, although it's a G3. Just feels warm. ;)

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
This probably isn't the right place to post it, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread...

On my PowerBook, I'm only doing about a frame every 45 minutes, even with nothing else running.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I thought I remebered my iBook folding much faster than that.

Is that a normal speed for a machine such as mine, or has something gone slightly crazy? I'm using the console client...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
YIKES!

My non internet connected Dual G4 has 2 WU's complete, I wouldn't have remembered to connect it if it were not for this thread!

Runs to connect the Quickaudio to the net :)

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
840quadra said:
YIKES!

My non internet connected Dual G4 has 2 WU's complete, I wouldn't have remembered to connect it if it were not for this thread!

Runs to connect the Quickaudio to the net :)
Glad you didn't read it tomorrow!

Why not keep 'em connected? Minimal inter-WU folding downtime! ;) :D

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
zach said:
This probably isn't the right place to post it, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread...

On my PowerBook, I'm only doing about a frame every 45 minutes, even with nothing else running.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I thought I remebered my iBook folding much faster than that.

Is that a normal speed for a machine such as mine, or has something gone slightly crazy? I'm using the console client...

Depends on the WU. If it is a Tinker, a 11** series, then I think it's about right. How fast is you PowerBook?

Redeye, cool sig and avatar!!

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Dreadnought:

1.67 GHz. my protein is p1147_L939_WT_298K, so I assume that falls into the 11** series you think of. Thanks.

I was probably just folding simpler proteins on my iBook then, I suppose?

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I got this wierd protein p1108_kiefhaber_. My ibook in my sig has been folding almost 48 hours and its 25% on automatic performance, is it normal? Btw what type of protien is it tinker, gromas etc cuz it isnt listed in the current projects page. My powermac is folding p1109_kiefhaber_ its at 17%.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Patmian212 said:
I got this wierd protein p1108_kiefhaber_. My ibook in my sig has been folding almost 48 hours and its 25% on automatic performance, is it normal? Btw what type of protien is it tinker, gromas etc cuz it isnt listed in the current projects page. My powermac is folding p1109_kiefhaber_ its at 17%.

Ive been folding mine for over a week and its a 65%. Just give it time, it should be worth alot of points. I don't know much about tinker and gromas, so maybe another folder can explain. But i do know that a Tinker takes quite a while to fold in a G5.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I got the PowerMac in my sig about 3 weeks ago - I downloaded the text-only client... so I don't ever really know exactly what I'm folding - but right now both my processors are idling between 50%-75%... Maybe my CPU could handle the GUI version :p

Woohoo! I'm #1200 something!!

Hob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.