Mr. Robot (USA Network- Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Four episodes into Season 1, watching via On Demand. Interesting and intriguing story about a socially awkward computer hacker living on the margins of society, on a mission to take down Evil Corp. It may not suit everyone's tastes.

What I've found online seems to indicate Season 2 is scheduled for Summer of 2016, but ads on USA seem to imply Season 2 will be starting soon, very soon. Anyone know?

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have four episodes left on my DVR. We really like this show. Just haven't been able to get around to watch the remaining episodes. The would be CIO is one crazy dude....

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

"Soon" is a relative term haha.

It's an interesting show. I love unreliable narrators- they make the story much more facinating. There are a lot of phenomenal reviews but I'm not yet convinced it's "the best show on television". Most of the twists are predictable, with the exception of a couple.

That said, the portrayal of schizophrenia addiction, and Elliot's other mental health problems within the movie are a bit flawed which annoys me, but I suppose I can't expect such accuracy from a TV show. It annoys me because subtle changes could make it far more realistic, especially with the addiction component.

Morphine is rarely abused-- let alone available, no one who occasionally abuses opiates should need suboxone "to come down", Suboxone is not a "come down drug"- you have to be addicted + in withdrawal otherwise it will worsen the WD , and Elliot would probably get high from the Suboxone. If the writers are trying to suggest his drug use exacerbating are his symptoms, it would likely if anything be the opposite. While the delusions are in line with schizophrenia, the extent of the visual hallucinations is almost unheard of. The memory loss and dissociation is tough for me to reconcile entirely. Schizophrenia/psychosis goes along with a lot of cognitive impairment, making complex tasks and planning very difficult... Such as hacking.

I work in a leading psych program, and Elliot is very sick kid even by the extreme standards I witness.

Anways, it's a decent show and entertaining enough. I'd like to rewatch the first season to see if I can connect more dots. I look forward to season 2.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Eye opener, wow. I hate it when technical liberties are taken during the telling of a story. I have to assume the writer(s) have some basis for pushing this concept within the story, did some, possibly shaky research, such as why pick morphine as his drug of choice? ...especially if it's hard to come by in the real world.

Now, in my ignorance, it might be proposed he is addicted to morphine and in withdrawal when he takes the suboxone to meet the situation as you described? He appears to be is in some level of denial regarding his drug use, especially when he ran out of drugs and went into hard core withdrawal. ;)

It is undetermined the limits of the spectrum of a moral compass Elliot has. The character has expressed the desire for normalcy, but he comes off as all most dysfunctional as a human being. In the framework of the story he has a reason to destroy E Corp, not that I approve of his methodology. ;)

I did find this link to morphine abuse.

5. C DM, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

I think just like with the hacking and various other things in the show (and many other shows/movies) some liberties are taken with realistic things to contribute to and further the story while making them still seem plausible enough that they wouldn't get in the way of enjoyment of the show for the vast majority.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2016 ---
    I think USA has recently started marketing it as "coming soon", which in TV/movie terms usually means (or at least how I've come to see it) as being in the next half a year or so (in TV terms it's more or less as in it's coming in the next switch of TV seasons, which at this point is more or less the summer season).

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I work a lot with addiction in my practice and morphine is not a commonly abused or prescribed drug outpatient. With the advent of Oxycodone/OxyContin/Percocet and Hydrocodone/Vicodin, morphine is barely used except in impatient. Morphine hasn't been used much since the 1990s outpatient. It's used intravenously in the hospital partially because of its high pain killing abilties and limited euphoric effects (compared to other IV drugs like fentanyl and hydromorophone).

Snorting morphine is also a pretty inefficient means of ingestion. It's not well absorbed in the nasal mucosa unlike something like Oxycodone.

Prescription painkiller abuse is obviously big news and I'm happy they're brining it up, I'm just surprised why they wouldn't use more mainstream drugs, even heroin.

Realistically, I just find it unlikely someone would snort morphine and then use suboxone to come down. Eventually he would withdraw from the suboxone as well. The thing with suboxone too is it out competes opiate receptors, so one must stop taking suboxone 2-3 days before taking other opiates. Therefore it becomes very difficult for people to switch back and forth.

I know nothing about hacking and little about networking, but I can only imagine what the techies here can think. Some of the dramatic hacking scenes seem a bit ridiculous with my limited knowledge.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Mr. Robot, fare thee well, too dark, too many nasty characters. o_O

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Anyone watching season 2? What do you think about it so far?

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Season two is missing a few things. The plot is weak. The script is weak. At least in season one you felt like you were moving somewhere.

I'm not sure if I'll continue with this.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Alright, it sounds like I'm not the only one that is feeling more or less like that. I'm probably going to stick with it (at least for now), but while it still has some of the edge here and there that the first season had as far as style and the like, the storyline itself doesn't really seem to move much and isn't really catching on (again, so far).

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

love it. it's a fantastic slow burn, focusing more on Elliot's mental health than the hack. There is a great theory out there that i won't spoil for you about what is really happening this season. Last night, was an outstanding episode, with an incredibly well done opening, a flashback, story lines involving the three female leads and an ending which nicely sets up the next few episodes for more action.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I can certainly appreciate dealing with the "inner" side of it all, sometimes it can be a bit much, especially compared to the pace and storyline of the first season that I enjoyed more. At least we sort of got back into the "hacking" territory by the end of this last episode.

13. RoyWoods macrumors newbie

RoyWoods

Does anyone else think that Season 2 is drastically different than Season 1?

I'm talking plot line and even cinematography wise...

Just doesn't seem the same to me for some reason.

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It's certainly different and the first four episodes I think were a setup for the rest of the season. I do think it's much darker than season one I do think they had to delve into the mental health aspect. But now with what Elliot started doing at the very end of episode four, I think it's going to ramp up and we'll get some of that faster pace we saw in season one.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Liking season 2 so far, although it started pretty slow

16. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

After tonight I'll have the last three episodes on the DVR. I'm just not feeling it.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, the last couple or so episodes got more into the swing of things (although with some "inner-mind" weirdness/playing going on here and there).

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, looks like we got this season's "twist" in last night's episode (which, like with the previous season, now provides more context to a good amount of details and storyline that was going on in the previous episodes this season).

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I have to say that the opening and closing sequences of some (if not many/most) of the episodes make for some really good TV.

20. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

there was only season1 here /hbo nordic... it was good =}

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

We're watching it and enjoying so far. I must say the big season two twist caught me by surprise. My wife figured it out just a bit before the big reveal.