MR Sleuths: I think i'm getting scammed, i need your help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmith2112, Jul 20, 2010.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I know there is a similar thread as this..but i have a request for your help in this one!

You may have heard of this ebay scam before, but it looks like i'm befalling it as we speak.

Basically, i sold my iPhone 2G to a Russian buyer on ebay and he paid via Paypal. Paypal puts a hold on the money until the buyer receives the device and gives me positive feedback. I sent out the iPhone promptly and waited for my positive feedback so the money would go through.

Then, i get an email from ebay saying that the buyer has opened up a case against me saying that he received the package, but NOTHING was in the box! This was a flat out lie. I packed up everything and even have the receipt of my shipping that states that the package weighed 13.3 oz.

Anyway, this is where I need your help. He actually sent me a video of him "opening the package when he received it". The thing is...i'm pretty sure the box that he opens isn't mine! I don't even think it's a 2G box! I've attached a screenshot to see if you guys can help me out with this. Was there ever a version of the 2G box with an app on the last line like the screencap i've attached?

I really hope I can nail this guy!

[​IMG]

2. twigg macrumors member

The App store app didn't exist when the 2G was released.

3. ncfuser macrumors regular

The box has the Serial number on it...I think.
    Does it match the Serial of the phone you sent?

4. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lesson learnt here: never use ebay unless its for some random cheap crap from hong kong.

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I can't see your screencap (probably blocked by my workplace), but if the guy has a video prepare for a battle with PayPal. They side with the buyer almost 100% of the time, even with no proof whatsoever. Even if the guy has a fabricated video, they're not going to give no matter how much proof you have. eBay and PayPal are truly seller-beware.

Given the guy's in Russia, the best you can probably hope for is to make an insurance claim with UPS/FedEx/Whoever stating your buyer received an empty box.

6. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Yeah, i've got a claim filed as well. I just really want to catch this guy in the act...

Makes me furious what some people will do.
    :mad:

7. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

The one seen in this youtube video shows NO last line on the phone in the pic.

However, i dont see a 2nd gen box with the pic of the phone like that.

I dont think it much matters if the serial is on the box now, since he has ample time to set up a video to show that that box came empty.

Did you put insurance on the package? If so, i would file a complaint and say that the item never arrived. If the buyer is honest (i really doubt it in this case, i think he is trying to scam you) he will have no problems filing a complaint with the shipping company.

This is why i never, never, EVER send anything to anyone without the money first. Did the buyer produce credentials to show he was a honest guy? Like Heatware? or some type of feedback system...

8. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

Yup, you got scammed. Dont need to go any further with your post, I was convinced at this point.

Never, ever send anything out of the country until you have the funds in your hands for 30 days.

There are all kinds of ways to make you believe its a good deal until a week or so later when you get screwed.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

All you have to do is look at the shipping weight and compare the weight of the empty box vs. weight with the phone in it.

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

One other thing you can try is looking at the shipping weight. A box without a phone weighs less than a box with a phone.

11. macduke Suspended

macduke

You sent it to RUSSIA?!?!?

That's your first problem. I never deal outside the U.S. on things like this.

This is your own fault.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man, that really sucks OP. Hope you get your money or phone back. Like others have said, you shouldn't have sold your phone to someone in another country. Stories like this make me avoid eBay like the plague.

13. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

im sure they weigh the package when it arrives and when it goes out for delivery. Ask the shipping company to provide the signature and the package details prior to be sent out.

God i hope you dont get screwed out of your phone, however, lets see if we can help this guy out so that doesnt happen. Dam bad russians!!

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Can we see a link to the auction?

I have hundreds of transactions on eBay but have never been scammed (knock on wood). I'm curious to see the buyer's history.

15. mattrgee macrumors member

Why don't you make a nice grainy video of you packaging the iphone you sent him and send that to ebay/paypal? If its good enough for the buyer...

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My iPhone 2G box only shows three lines (12 icons). Also, it seems much deeper. Let me know if you want pics.

17. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

18. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

if he's not that smart...say you have the IMEI number and you going to call it in as stolen...explain to him that once you do that, the phone will not accept any sim card and if its attempted to do so, the cell company will report it as a stolen device.

19. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

You can cheat PayPals hold system by refunding a penny, it clears the rest of the funds last time I tried it

Not sure if PayPal will like you for doing it though :)

20. Dominat0r macrumors 6502a

Dominat0r

ya, i wouldnt do that unless there is NO OTHER choice....you dont want to burn your bridges with paypal.

Got to be a way to show the weight when it was shipped and the weight prior to it being delivered. I think thats the important info thats needed. Cause that will basically tell you who the culprit is...if the package didnt change weight at all from you till the time it was delivered than there you go, guy is scamming...but if you see that the weight changed from USA to Russia, then the shipping company is at fault.

I would get on the phone with the shipping company and request ALL the info pertaining to the package. Weight, time of arrival, time of depart etc etc...

21. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

This is why the eBay/Paypal situation has gotten so bad in recent years. Sad to say... they almost always side with the buyer...

22. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I think this is a great idea. I can at least say that i'm going to go through this process and hopefully call his bluff.

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

24. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

they changed that last year after I sold and did that same process with 3 iPhones...I got the buyer to leave me positive feedback right after auction, got the monies in my paypal, called paypal and told them to release the money as positive feedback was received, withdrew the monies to my account, waited for them to be deposited in my account and then I shipped it out...done and done

25. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7