Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Download full games, like umm burnout paradise, GT5p.. been there done that :p:rolleyes:

Yup, very true. It's good that MS is doing this, maybe it will push Sony to release more than a half dozen or so retail games via PSN. If they (both) can make older games affordable online, maybe it will help them deal with the second-hand market.

Oh, and 1080p video requires 8mbps down. Sorry most of Europe/anyone remotely rural *hugs my 15mb down cable*

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh, and 1080p video requires 8mbps down. Sorry most of Europe/anyone remotely rural *hugs my 15mb down cable*

Hey now, it's just me and Ireland with a poo connection in Europe. The mainland has some very fast connections and we're getting 50mbps in our town later this year :p.
But Sky. Really? I'd be much happier with Freeview HD or even Virgin.

The full game downloads is a step in the right direction. I'll take boxed games over downloads any day of the week on consoles but it could be a good service for smaller games (I only have a 20gb HDD after all :p).

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Microsoft's keynote was impressive. I'm digging the 1080p video support, downloadable games, Netflix catalog browsing, Facebook integration and Last.FM.

I'll hold my opinion on the motion control device until I see it in action.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Good conference overall. Bits and pieces for everyone, I think nearly all bases were covered. :D

ea3.png

:D:D

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
MGS: Rising (the one with Raiden), IGN is saying it's likely 360 exclusive. Maybe PS3 will get a different game?

It's not MS exclusive. They didn't moneyhat enough obviously. This just tells me that Konami is trying to milk the MGS franchise for all its worth. MGS went from a tactical espionage game to what seems like a spin off "Lightning Bolt Action" shooter.

00000010.png

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
MS has a great show planned, but i still think Sony is going to win this E3. Its going to be hard for anything to compete with Uncharted 2, GT5, and God of War 3. Throw in a little Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, MAG, White Knight Chronicles (and rpg, finally!), and Sony's E3 show is just going to ooze awesomeness.

I hope we get new Alan Wake info though, it looks rather interesting.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
It's not MS exclusive. They didn't moneyhat enough obviously. This just tells me that Konami is trying to milk the MGS franchise for all its worth. MGS went from a tactical espionage game to what seems like a spin off "Lightning Bolt Action" shooter.

00000010.png

Yeah I just saw that on Kotaku. Good ol' IGN! PC too though.... hmmm...

^and I dunno if GT5 will be shown since the main dude in charge of it didn't make the trip (apparently). Maybe it will be MIA like Dead Rising 2 will be :(

I'm bummed I have to work tomorrow so I miss the live conference. I hope Sorny (and to a lesser extent Nintendo) have a good show.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Ehh...I wasn't impressed with their press conference. Besides MGS Rising, what else is there? I must say I'm very hyped about Modern Warfare 2. I could care less about Halo, since at this point MS is milking it. Other than that, the motion controls seem funky, as I'd rather use a controller to play games. Seems like another gimmick, only it's not forced upon...Yet, unless they start including it with every 360. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hey now, it's just me and Ireland with a poo connection in Europe. The mainland has some very fast connections and we're getting 50mbps in our town later this year :p.
But Sky. Really? I'd be much happier with Freeview HD or even Virgin.

The full game downloads is a step in the right direction. I'll take boxed games over downloads any day of the week on consoles but it could be a good service for smaller games (I only have a 20gb HDD after all :p).

They're launching the 1080p streaming service over here in NZ too, hopefully the price will be right. Does anyone know whether it's for purchases or rentals (or both)? I'd love to be able to buy HD movies online instead of going the Blu-ray route. Preferably there would be an option to download a permanent copy of your purchased movie rather than streaming it every time, as metered connections are the norm here.

Do you know how the Sky service is delivered? I got the impression that it'd piggyback off your existing Sky subscription somehow, but I don't know whether you somehow connect your satellite dish (I'm assuming that Sky is satellite-based over there like it is here) or whether it comes over the Internet connection.

Over here you can connect to Freeview HD with a PS3, however it's an aerial-based service and uses a different technology than Sky. At this stage there's no way to connect your aerial to an NZ-model 360.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Seems like Project Natal is only suitable for people who don't have coffee tables. :D

I don't really like this whole motion sensing trend that Nintendo started. I wonder what video gaming will look like a few generations in the future. I have a feeling that playing with a controller will become a nostalgic thing of the past. I predict more "innovative" control schemes, and more "real" 3D with new display technologies.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
WHATS WRONG WITH USING A PAD?!

I hope this type of thing is just a fad that will pass.....

Try crontroling an FPS or any 'proper' effing game using just your body.....

This gimicky ***** is ruining the industry....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes but on the other hand, as primarily a PC gamer I admire the Wii controls when it comes to FPS games. They really work well. Just a shame the hardware can't support it.
But I can't see this tech being used for FPS games, but I can see some awesomely fun games using it. That fighting game for example or for a really kick arse interface, but that racing demonstration looked pants. I'd like to actually HOLD a controller sometimes!

Do you know how the Sky service is delivered? I got the impression that it'd piggyback off your existing Sky subscription somehow, but I don't know whether you somehow connect your satellite dish (I'm assuming that Sky is satellite-based over there like it is here) or whether it comes over the Internet connection.

Over here you can connect to Freeview HD with a PS3, however it's an aerial-based service and uses a different technology than Sky. At this stage there's no way to connect your aerial to an NZ-model 360.

I imagine it just ties in with your Sky subscription and lets you stream/download 1080p versions of their shows. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they added an extra charge onto it given how much they charge extra for Sky HD through satellite.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
MGS: Rising (the one with Raiden), IGN is saying it's likely 360 exclusive. Maybe PS3 will get a different game?
Will. Not. Happen.
Why would Kojima do this? He already has the engines written for the ps3, so why throw that all out just to make a 360 exclusive. He also has a very loyal fanbase and he wouldnt want to piss them off.

The problem isnt the controller, its the developers that tack it on at the end. LoZ: Phantom Hourglass is controlled using only the stylus and shoulder buttons and it is absolutely amazing. Killzone 2 uses the sixaxis a bit when interacting with objects and it feels natural, not like they taped the motion controls on as they printed the discs.
Dont blame the hardware company for creating something new, blame the devs that dont understand anything but button mashing.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005

It's not for regular games. It's for games that Grandma can play. Notice they didn't show any shooters or RPG's, just Wii-esc games. Add the fact that you need an optional peripheral to use the feature, it basically nulls the chances of it being used as more than a gimmick in a "hardcore" game.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
A little disappointed there was no Hulu integration instead we get Facebook and Twitter. Because we need another place to waste time with those services.

But I am super pumped for CoD: Modern Warfare 2

theITGuy

macrumors 6502a
A little disappointed there was no Hulu integration instead we get Facebook and Twitter. But I am super pumped for CoD: Modern Warfare 2

I bet the Hulu up shows up later this year...I'm super excited...just got UFC Undisputed...and Halo ODST and Modern Warfare 2 are coming this fall...and Halo Reach in 2010...great time to be an Xbox gamer :D:D:D

Cheers.

-J.-

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Microsoft's Natal project

If you weren't paying attention to E3 yesterday, this was one of Microsoft's announcements. The idea is to control games without a controller using voice recognition and cameras that capture 3D movement. It sounds like a dream, but judging by their demos this may actually be a product from Microsoft I would be interested in. It certainly puts the Wii to shame. Their slogan is "The only experience you need is life experience". Their goal is to make video games more inviting by removing the complex-looking remote.

Official page
Official trailer
Demo from E3

Nate

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
If you weren't paying attention to E3 yesterday, this was one of Microsoft's announcements. The idea is to control games without a controller using voice recognition and cameras that capture 3D movement. It sounds like a dream, but judging by their demos this may actually be a product from Microsoft I would be interested in. It certainly puts the Wii to shame. Their slogan is "The only experience you need is life experience". Their goal is to make video games more inviting by removing the complex-looking remote.

The problem there is the complete drop of controller support. As someone here said, this will work on games designed for Grandma but FPS wouldn't work, none of the games I play on 360 would. I can imagine some fun party games using this technology, but nothing like Halo, Bioshock, GTA etc. They would be impossible without further control.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
They're launching the 1080p streaming service over here in NZ too, hopefully the price will be right. Does anyone know whether it's for purchases or rentals (or both)? I'd love to be able to buy HD movies online instead of going the Blu-ray route. Preferably there would be an option to download a permanent copy of your purchased movie rather than streaming it every time, as metered connections are the norm here.

Update: It's just rentals at this stage, and should be operational by the end of the year.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia

If it is in NZ does that mean an AUS store also? Would be sweet seeing my isp iiNet do not cap xbox live :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.