MS Employs New Math (1.5 million = 40K)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Dec 21, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Tsk, tsk. Ballmer. If there ever was a man to eat his words, he might be right next to Custer who said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "I think they're friendly Indians!"

3. emuneee macrumors member

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't forget Michael Dell…

"I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."- referring to Apple Computer Inc. in 1997.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Didn't we see this a few weeks ago from some other company? It's SOP for a lot of companies to report what was sold "to the channel" and not exactly what has ended up in the end customer's hands.

6. xyz1534 macrumors regular

My company wont allow Windows 7 phones because they can't enforce their security policies for Active Sync....MS has tons of work to do on the OS....

Honestly, I think MS' best bet is the Corporate World....I don't think consumers are queuing up for one....

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Windows phone 7 isn't going anywhere. MS just got started late (years late), but corporations alone will guarantee it will be around for a long time as soon as they get 'up to speed'.

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Android started off slow too, I say give MS a year and we should have an idea if the OS is going to be a player or a bust.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Has to be said but this just is load with standard fanboy bashing. Tracking retail sells is not as easy to get an exact number so generally they use the shipped units to stock piles to track sells. Nothing is wrong with that. 1.5 mil for stock before launch is pretty good. You have to put all the factors in it is close enough to Christmas that over ordering is not a big deal since they can sell a lot for Christmas and they needed to be load for sales over a month.

I just find this tread sad and just standard bashing.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I don't disagree with your opinion. But that being said - there is a HUGE difference between 1.5M and 40K. That's all I'm sayin'

11. vant macrumors 65816

Apple did 1.7M on its first weekend. 1.5M to retailers on the first 6 weeks is kind of a disappointment.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Really? I was unaware of this. Just getting geared up to test it.

I just gave the axe to Android on our network due to the wonderful data-stealing apps that are out there. Seems their open platform is actually a negative where security is concerned.

Soon I'll be axeing all users on iPhones prior to the 3Gs since encryption wasn't available on the previous models.

13. xyz1534 macrumors regular

Yup, recently my company got rid of all Blackberries, and Blackberry users were not given an option of choosing a Windows 7 device, and the reason stated was the above...

However, Android phones were allowed...in fact come to think of it only Android and Windows 6.1 phones are being allowed..

14. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

OP can change time. 40k sold on first day is what is reported.

"The last time we checked in on Windows 7 phone sales it was the day after the Nov.8 launch and 40,000 Microsoft phones had been sold. "

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wow, that seems backward. I'd like to get rid of the extra cost of BB if possible as well.

16. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Im not sure I understand. So BB is being phased out and WP7 is replacing it?
    If they dont want the WP7, Android and WM6.1 and higher can be used?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, I understood it as BB is being phased out and Android and WM6.1 is replacing it. WP7 is NOT an option.

18. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If I was a developer for Windows 7 apps, I'd be pissed. Supposedly they haven't paid anyone (nor planning to until February 2011, supposedly), nor give them any analytics on how much they have sold.

Talk about being royally screwed!

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/11/29/windows.phone.7.app.writers.face.tool.pay.issues/

19. kdarling, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Open or closed has nothing to do with spyware. The big news this week was:

iPhone worse offender than Android with spyware, according to WSJ tests

What "data stealing" are you worried about, in particular?

If you mean access to Location, both OSes have tons of apps that do that, but at least the request is there.

If you mean secret access to Contacts, iOS is infinitely worse than Android in that respect, due to not having to display its access capability (as Android apps do on installation).

- There was just a big MR thread on this, sorry, cannot find right now.

20. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Analytics have been released. I think they were actually released the day after that article. I think payments are coming in Feb.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

if that security is so important to you I would say you ax everything but blackberry and get a BES set up. Everything else pales in comparison to a BES.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

We have BES, but a lot of our users want iPhones and/or Android devices. I'm having to formalize an approved device list to get things under control.

Also, I hate paying the extra costs of BES. Would prefer to go all ActiveSync.

23. xyz1534 macrumors regular

That is 100% Correct...

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Like kdarling asked, what are these data stealing applications you are referring to specifically?

As an Android user I am definitely interested in them so I can stay away from them.