Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
so there already is a new Mac client? Does that still use Electron but with the new UI? Can't test it
No idea, doesn't work yet

1680531263120.png

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Quick update from my side..

Here's the link released to MS Teams 2.1 for all Operating Systems. Also remember Linux is now a Web App and no longer an oficial client app

To be able to use the Teams 2.1 version the tenant needs to be updated by each company as it been commented by Microsoft.

I assume this one uses Webview2
Wow, the install size went from ~450 MB to nearly 1 GB. This does look completely different, but my company hasn't enabled it yet so can't fully yet.

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
sounds like its bundling a framework to be that size.....anyone investigated why it is so large?

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
sounds like its bundling a framework to be that size.....anyone investigated why it is so large?
Not yet as there is no way to test it, I'm waiting for this to go Live on Beta status before finding out if it's using WebView 2 or not...

At this point there's no point in testing it as it's not enabled anywhere...

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Based on very, very little information, I don't think we'll benefit much from the update on the Mac. The new version is still based on the Chromium engine and the Mac won't have the certain external components which would be available on Windows. I read that here - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...mises-twice-the-speed-and-half-the-ram-usage/. Some quotes

Though Electron and WebView2 are based on the Chromium browser engine, each Electron app includes its own self-contained version of the browser files, which all must be stored and updated separately.

Macs don't benefit quite as much from the new app since, unlike Windows, they don't have any of the Edge WebView2 files built-in—a WebView2 app on macOS is a lot like an Electron app, in that it includes its own dependencies and needs to update them separately from other WebView2 apps on the same system.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
Based on very, very little information, I don't think we'll benefit much from the update on the Mac. The new version is still based on the Chromium engine and the Mac won't have the certain external components which would be available on Windows. I read that here - https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...mises-twice-the-speed-and-half-the-ram-usage/. Some quotes
Yup that's exactly what I've seen with the 2.1 WebView2 version so far - in fact it's double the file size, uses the same amount of RAM, and for whatever reason takes 10-15 seconds to launch the first time after every reboot

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I just switched to "the New Teams" on my M2 Pro MBP and the performance is significantly improved. Basic things like switching between chats is a bit quicker. Channel switching inside a team is WAY faster. I'm pretty happy with this.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't notice any difference in speed (or anything else) between the old Teams and "New Teams" on my Mac Studio.

MacRail

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
Very helpful heads up! Thank you @maxsquared - I now have access to a Teams chat & files with my client that I was unable to access before. Nice. Fingers crossed it can still deftly conduct a Teams call.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I wish the Teams app was available in the App Store so a separate autoupdater wasn't necessary.
I believe the end goal is putting it on the App Store however with the features they coming out and having to abusse certain 'Accessibility' things and with the way they manage updates...

MacRail

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
Appears there is no way with this new client to add custom backgrounds. Relevant thread I found below. If anyone know how to do this, would appreciate any info.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Appears there is no way with this new client to add custom backgrounds. Relevant thread I found below. If anyone know how to do this, would appreciate any info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/16jbr29

We just went through this with our testers when the new client first hit GA. They are intentionally making it more difficult to do this because they want to squeeze people into paying for Teams Premium. You can still do it via GPO, that's what we did and it works fine.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/16jbr29

We just went through this with our testers when the new client first hit GA. They are intentionally making it more difficult to do this because they want to squeeze people into paying for Teams Premium. You can still do it via GPO, that's what we did and it works fine.
This is the first I've heard of Teams Premium. Are you joking or is this at the corporate level?

MacRail

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
If you're unable to add a background, here's how to do it manually.

Prepare your background. You'll need a 1920 x 1080 jpeg. And a thumbnail smaller jpeg version that's 280 x 158.

Generate a random GUID. I used this site to easily create. Example:c2fa8db2-aaa6-4a7f-8f57-4d510d319a1f

Rename your two files:
<GUID>.jpg
<GUID>_thumb.jpg

Navigate to:

~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.teams2/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MSTeams/Backgrounds/Uploads

Copy your two files into the Uploads folder. Next time you launch a Teams meeting, you'll see your bkgnd as one of the options.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I wish the Teams app was available in the App Store so a separate autoupdater wasn't necessary.
They probably don't do that because any in-app upselling they do would be subject to a surcharge by Apple. And Microsoft is just going to want to have control of all the updating themselves, as they do with all the Office suite apps.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
They probably don't do that because any in-app upselling they do would be subject to a surcharge by Apple. And Microsoft is just going to want to have control of all the updating themselves, as they do with all the Office suite apps.
All the other Office apps are already in the App Store and have been there for years (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, & OneDrive). Many people get their Office apps through the App Store for the reasons southerndoc mentioned. Teams is the odd man out.

MacRail

macrumors member
May 21, 2019
Did anyone else start having Teams problems this week? I had two Teams meetings today that I could not join. What made me nervous is that this was just after a splash message that said welcome to the latest version of Teams - so I fear some software change has screwed things up. (or could just be my own problem)

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Did anyone else start having Teams problems this week? I had two Teams meetings today that I could not join. What made me nervous is that this was just after a splash message that said welcome to the latest version of Teams - so I fear some software change has screwed things up. (or could just be my own problem)
No issues here, which build are you using?

Here's mine:

You have Microsoft Teams version 24004.1304.2655.7488.
You've got the latest version. It was last updated on 2/11/2024.
The client version is 50/24020205514.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
@MacRail

There seem to be a lot going on with MS Teams at the moment, the "new" client is being pushed out, most of the time it works fine but there has been times where odd behavior appears (both pc and mac).
But its also being constantly updated. I think we will see this happening until they force all users over to the new one which will happen end of March.

My 5 cent is, move over to the new client if you already haven't. And use the old one as a backup (use the toggle) when things doesn't work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.