Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Same issue as @MrGunny94 . For that morning I was using the same compliment of apps, native Slack, Chrome and now added native Teams. It's the only new app in the suite of active apps and what is typically a full day or more was measured in hours.
FWIW, I don't have rosetta installed at all. If anything isn't native for me, it won't run.
Yeah we can only hope for better versions to come that improve battery. I noticed that when I'm on a Teams call I'm constantly between 9-16w, with shared screen 16W usage.

1662017772690.png

Reactions: ingambe

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I emailed 2 weeks ago the developer of "Captin" asking about a native Silicon update and got no response.
I bit the bullet and downloaded Caps Lock Tone from the App Store. It's AS native and seems to work pretty well. I turned off the on-screen indicator (it's a little obnoxious) and turned on the menu bar indicator (which looks good, actually). Left sounds on. I'm satisfied with it.

Removed Captin. I believe all my software is 100% native now.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I bit the bullet and downloaded Caps Lock Tone from the App Store. It's AS native and seems to work pretty well. I turned off the on-screen indicator (it's a little obnoxious) and turned on the menu bar indicator (which looks good, actually). Left sounds on. I'm satisfied with it.

Removed Captin. I believe all my software is 100% native now.
Is there a way to turn off the menu bar icon all together?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Is there a way to turn off the menu bar icon all together?
I don't think so, not directly (see below). But it can be set to change color, so it goes from white to red when Caps Lock is pressed/on. Also makes a sounds when toggled on & off. Sound is customizable. The dock icon can be hidden and has a couple other options which I haven't tried. Mine dock icon is hidden.

However, I use Bartender, so I don't even see the Caps app icon in the menu bar unless I press the Caps Lock key. It then disappears when Caps is off (customized through Bartender).

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
The fully native build is now in production, I just reinstalled from the oficial website and updated the Core Audio Driver that now show Apple kind.
are you sure? i just downloaded the latest pkg with ver 524264 and it still ships with intel core audio driver. the preview one though has the new driver

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
are you sure? i just downloaded the latest pkg with ver 524264 and it still ships with intel core audio driver. the preview one though has the new driver
It's showing native audio driver for me, maybe its because I had the preview installed before, but I did uninstall it first using app cleaner

Reactions: white7561

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
It's showing native audio driver for me, maybe its because I had the preview installed before, but I did uninstall it first using app cleaner
That's probably it. The driver is still installed. Since the latest .pkg still ships with the legacy Intel core audio driver . But yeh the preview one has the new driver now. Just a matter of time before it rolls out to the stable builds :D

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
For those curious, since the full native AS build was released mid August I was hopeful this preview release would be native AS also ... but sadly no, so don't waste your time if you're not using Rosetta 2. 1.5.00.24264
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 3.37.51 PM.png

TheMinecraftHunter

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2022
For those curious, since the full native AS build was released mid August I was hopeful this preview release would be native AS also ... but sadly no, so don't waste your time if you're not using Rosetta 2. 1.5.00.24264
View attachment 2051034
Yeah I decided to make a correction statement on https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...timized-for-apple-silicon/bc-p/3615172#M11027

I thought 1.5.00.24264 in the Public Preview Channel was Rosetta 2 free because of the build number but no. It looks like it will come in a future Public Preview build.

Doing a bit of digging between the middle of August 2022 and now, Microsoft has been compiling two versions of the Universal binary. There are builds that are Rosetta 2 free and builds that require Rosetta 2 which means not all 23xxx and 24xxx builds are Rosetta 2 free or possibly include an arm64 driver.

You can take a look at hostArchitectures in the Distribution file and see if it contains "arm64" to be Rosetta 2 free.

saber106

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
Okay so I download the lastest microsoft teams from the website, install it and then go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ and just straight up delete the M$ core audio driver folder thing.

And that's it, no more intel running and I can still call / video chat / request control with microsoft teams like normal

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Okay so I download the lastest microsoft teams from the website, install it and then go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ and just straight up delete the M$ core audio driver folder thing.

And that's it, no more intel running and I can still call / video chat / request control with microsoft teams like normal
Yes. You don't need the driver for those things. You only need the driver to share audio when screen sharing

Reactions: saber106

saber106

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2021
Yes. You don't need the driver for those things. You only need the driver to share audio when screen sharing
Oh, you mean share the computer audio driver (for example: play a movie on my computer and whoever see my screen can also listen to the movie audio?)

I understand, thank you!

P/S: I also have no need for this so I can remove this

Reactions: white7561

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Oh, you mean share the computer audio driver (for example: play a movie on my computer and whoever see my screen can also listen to the movie audio?)

I understand, thank you!

P/S: I also have no need for this so I can remove this
Yes. As far as I understand. That's what the audio driver is used for :D

Reactions: saber106

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
macOS Ventura has got a new API to record the system audio without the need of an external plugin, so when it will be out (and after Teams developers get the memo) there won't be any need for such plugin anymore.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
macOS Ventura has got a new API to record the system audio without the need of an external plugin, so when it will be out (and after Teams developers get the memo) there won't be any need for such plugin anymore.
Thank gosh. Discord won't need it too. So no more Reduced Security lol.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I reinstalled Teams recently, but the Intel-based audio driver was still there. I didn't manually delete it though. If we manually delete the audio driver and then reinstall, will it install the Intel or AS/Universal version?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
That worked... uninstalling the program (using Cleaner One Pro) and then manually deleting the audio driver first followed by reinstalling Teams resulted in the new audio driver being Apple based.

There was an option to skip it. I'm tempted to uninstall, reinstall, and skip it this time. I don't share audio with Teams and I wonder if it will just improve resources/responsiveness of Teams. Will test on my laptop first.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Rather significant security issue for Teams
Seems like your computer/network would already have to be compromised for this to be exploitable, or am I missing something else here.

nocsi

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
Seems like your computer/network would already have to be compromised for this to be exploitable, or am I missing something else here.
Just because your "computer/network" is compromised, doesn't mean apps shouldn't better defend themselves.

Other processes can collect the credentials. They can be picked up in backups. Many vectors to pick them up when they're sitting around in cleartext. Supposed to be storing these auth tokens in the keychain, which stores them in the secure enclave for both iOS and macOS. Windows has its own keystore for storing/accessing credentials as well.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Reactions: Arctic Moose

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
I mean that’s how token based auth works. You’ll find tokens for all kind of stuff in browser cookies and storage. I hope they are stored securely though

Last edited:

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA

I don't have the HAL folder in that directory despite having the Intel Microsoft Core Audio Driver running as a system process.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.01.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.01.59 PM.png
    223 KB · Views: 89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.