Ms Word 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cobbler82, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Cobbler82 macrumors newbie

Hello guys, new member of the forum but have been reading news on the site for a very long time. love the community too.
    never had troubles using Word before but now I have encountered a BIG problem and hope that some of your guys can give me some help.

I'm trying to do a translation of a short book and I need to have the original text on one page and the other one on the other one. I tried to do that in a naive way so everytime I would finish writing one page in german, I would start with the next one in english and so on..... problem is that if I modify a few words the whole text gets messed up because bits and sentences slip in the next page etc.

How can I "block" the text in every page so that if I modify one line it won't slip in the next one? Somebody mentioned that I should use the "interruption of the page" command but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any advice? thank you in advance :)

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I don't believe a "block" is possible. You create page breaks but if your text goes over it will just move all of your other text down.

The only thing I can think of is to narrow your page margins so that you can fit more content on one page. If you use section breaks on each page you can set font margin specifics for each individual page.

3. jahala macrumors regular

jahala

If you must use MS Word 2011 for this task, then Publishing Layout View is what you want to use because you can control exactly what is on each page. Attached is a word file and some images that you can use to get the concept. Rename translation-example.zip to translation-example.docx before opening it. I used Bing translate to get the German text, so please overlook any errors or strange constructions.

I created four pages in publishing layout view. On each page I created a text box that filled the printable area. Then I set up the links between the text boxes so that the English flowed from page 1 to page 3 and the German flowed between page 2 and page 4.

Links between text boxes are easily created by selecting a text box, clicking on the purple Format tab in the ribbon, clicking the create link button, then clicking on the destination text box (must be empty).

If you need to ensure that the English and German page both have the same information on them, then you will not want to link the text boxes at all. This will give you control of how much text is on each page. You could also link everything in the beginning, finalize the translation, then break the links and adjust the content in each page.

Good luck.

Attached Files: