MSN email access through Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by curiosa863, May 19, 2007.

1. curiosa863 macrumors member

Does MSN block Mail from getting access? I'm using the settings from microsoft's Outlook guide... but Mail is getting denied.

If it is deliberate, is there a work-around?

Thanks a lot for any advice on the matter.

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Sorry you can't use MSN in your Mail app. M$ won't allow it. Get a Gmail account instead which does work with Mail. If you need an invite I have heaps so let me know.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Actually, technically you can I believe, although you need the Hotmail "plus" account or whatever that means. It allows you to use pop to retrieve the messages. Originally, they gave some of the "plus" accounts away, but I believe most people have to pay like $20/year or something like that.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

There are also programs you can use to forward your mail to them and then onto Mail.app but it's such a hassle. You'd be better of getting a Gmail account.

5. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

that is so frustrating. it works fine through entourage, and it is a premium account (qwest w/ msn is the only dsl available to me).
    How do you ditch an email address? Should I just save what I might need and then do it like a band-aid, never look back?
    I've got gmail, so thanks for the invite offers.
    I just hate to let go of my addy... I don't get anything but junk and automated mailing list stuff to it anyway.

6. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

What I did when I switched was I used my Gmail more often and if people emailed my old account, I would reply using Hotmail's feature to change the sent address (making it my new one) and then telling the person that it's it was my new email. I still check my hotmail account, but only every week or two.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

This is sort of funny...so you pay Microsoft $20/year, and they only give you pop, not imap, and it dosen't even work with all programs?!? Meanwhile Gmail gives IMAP for free?!?

This is why I'm going to switch to a gmail account, except I can't think of a good address for it. My Hotmail accounts were grandfathered in to work in Entourage and Outlook for free, but still.

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I second, third, fourth, and fifth that.

I switched from my hotmail address I made back when I was 13 (PC user at the time) for a GMail account. It's linked to Mail and I have a little app called MailCountX that sits in my menubar like so:

[​IMG].

I wonder how I ever lived with web-based email (except for when I'm away from my computer, of course). GMail has a pretty sweet web interface too, a lot less invasive than hotmail in my humble opinion.

Mail is 100% worth the switch to GMail, if you can pull it off.

Edit: You can PAY for hotmail Mail (pop) access, I think... unless they got rid of that.
    Edit2: Darn you wolfpup :)

9. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

10. curiosa863 thread starter macrumors member

about halfway through the installation of that plugin i had an epiphany. and that was. "If they don't want me to use their email however i want, why should i want to use their email" Its like kids in high school that want to be friends with the popular kids, and the popular kids won't have anything to do with them.

SO Fkuc you MSFT!
    I'll stick with people that want me around.
    I'll ditch my msn addys. Viva la GMail

Now does anyone have any suggestions on saving my hundreds of itunes receipts that i have saved in my msn account? I'd like to keep them because i have mild ocd and would hate to part with such a collection.

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Does your Hotmail account let you access it through any mail program at all? If so, you could probably just set up both your Hotmail account, and the Gmail account, and move those over. Otherwise you could always resort to manually forwarding them, or just saving them to your computer.

You shouldn't really need the receipts though, right?

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Gmail doesn't give IMAP for free, just POP

13. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The one thing that bugs me about Gmail's POP though is the fact it'll only forward to one computer. So if I want to forward my mail to my Macbook and desktop then I can only forward it to one and not the other.

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, that is annoying. I found a way around that by creating a second gmail account and having gmail send a copy of every mail it receives to that new account so that both gmail accounts receive the same mail. Then, connect one mac to each gmail account via POP and hence both macs get all the gmail. Rather convoluted, but it worked

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

How would you go about replying though if they're different emails?

16. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, I managed to somehow get the outgoing mail address to be the same on both machines

Edit: Here's how

Suppose your account is called main@gmail.com and you create a second accound called main2@gmail.com and you tell gmail to send a copy of all incoming mail from main to main2.

Now on mac 1 mail.app
    add account
    Account Type POP
    Name: Gmail
    email address: main@gmail.com
    incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
    username: main
    outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

And on mac 2 mail.app
    add account
    Account Type POP
    Name: Gmail
    email address: main@gmail.com
    incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
    username: main2
    outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

All outgoing mail from either computer will be from main@gmail.com

17. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

So you changed the incoming server but kept the same outgoing server for both? And that works fine?

18. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

See edit above.

19. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Ah ok. Thanks a lot. =] Just one thing though, when you reply, the "quoted" email will be from main2 right? Not a very big thing but just putting it out there. :)

20. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You mean, if you include the original message as part of the reply? When I reply it usually just says "my name wrote:" it doesn't display the email address that wrote it

21. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I thought Gmail supported IMAP?

If so, use that rather than POP. POP is SUPPOSED to pull mail off the server, so is really only usable with one computer. IMAP is more advanced and more useful generally.

22. roghawaii macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new to mac and love it, but do i understand correctly that all my email accounts, including business ones, cannot be added to the email program on my mac computer? Also, what is gmail? and is there anyway to pull all my msn email into something else automatically?
    Thank you for any and all help

23. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, Gmail is POP3 only so far.

24. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If your mail account supports either IMAP or POP then you can use the mail application on your mac.

25. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

What specifically are you trying to use? Anything should be usable on a Mac, unless something configured wrong somewhere.