MSN for Mac?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ThinkSecret publishes a rumor that Microsoft is working on MSN for Mac:

According to one tipster, the company is currently beta testing MSN Internet Access for Mac, in cooperation with Qwest Communications. The test is not being handled by Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (which developes Office and Internet Explorer) but rather by the company's MSN division.

This corresponds with a rumor submitted by coredump to Macrumors.com:

I work for Microsoft at the Silicon Valley Campus in Mtn View. We are currently testing MSN for the Macintosh with Qwest.com. This test is being conducted by the MSN division, not the Mac BU.

This is likely the same source who submitted information to both sites.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Figures

Microsoft is probably hard at work finding ways to use DLL files with OS X. Microsoft........errrrrrrr.........misery loves company

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Just thinking about the possiblitlies of having a Mac with MSN makes me wince. I'd really like to see how well it works, not that I would change my provider. I'm perfectly happy with the cable modem.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Well, whatever it takes to get Windows users to switch to a Mac. Not that I'll use this, although I admit the MSN Explorer is sorta a nice alternative for AOLers. I like it because everything is web based, not proprietary keywords.

ejm625

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2002
MSN GRRR

Well, I don't like it. But as it was already well put, "if it gets PC users to switch to a Mac, it's not so bad." AOL for mac sucks, period. Mine has a tendancy to lock up everytime. But DSL is coming to my world soon so I'm not switching to MSN anytime soon, yeah right.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
If it helps convert people then kewl..... although i wouldn't change platfroms just for MSN but there you go....:D

I don't use MSN, so it has absolutely no use for me..... so I don't care on this one......:p

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
MSN vs. AOL

THis all goes with MSN's battle against AOL. If they can tap into the Apple market, they can steal even more customers from AOL.

MSN and AOL

Both of these services are terrible! There are so many better choices then slow, crashy, and expensive AOL and MSN. I hate AOL it crashes 24/7 and as for MSN my friend has it and it disconnets every 2 hours. There are much better choices.

This is my 200th post, I may be slow but I like to put some thought into my posts and I try to have some other life.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Re: MSN and AOL

Originally posted by Macmaniac
Both of these services are terrible! There are so many better choices then slow, crashy, and expensive AOL and MSN. I hate AOL it crashes 24/7 and as for MSN my friend has it and it disconnets every 2 hours. There are much better choices.

This is my 200th post, I may be slow but I like to put some thought into my posts and I try to have some other life.
I agree, MSN and AOL both aren't worth what you pay for them. You can get a much richer and more stable internet experience by using other ISPs and connection methods.

The only problem is that all of the little old ladies and computer clueless people out there use this because other methods aren't as obvious for them. You have to admit, they make the connection process pretty simple and they advertise the crap out their products so more people know about them.

So its a good thing that they are both available for the Mac. It will bring more people to the platform. Good.

BTW- Way to go on your 200th post. I agree with the slow and steady mentality. Though I seem to be moving a little faster than you, I'm still slow when compared to some. Thats alright though...but I do want an avatar!!

Matthew

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Why bother?

Seems kinda pointless just to bring some other Microsoft browser-like thing to Mac. You can already use MSN service with a Mac, at least running OS9 (don't know about X). All you have to do is find the dial-up number, and in the username field of Remote Access (and maybe Internet Connect) enter "MSN/username" IIRC. If it's not that, then it's "username@msn". That's how to connect to the ISP. As for using the MSN program, you're out of luck there, but who would want to?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Macrumors

Originally posted by BeerDrinker29
Why didnt you publish this rumor first? Would have beat ThinkSecret to the punch.
Sometimes it's hard to tell the validity of random submissions... just didn't have a feel for this one...

Since thinksecret posted it, I figured I'd throw up what I had.

arn

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Please explain to me..

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is MSN? Is it just an integrated browser/IM/email thingy? Sorry but I've never used it on Windows..

conceptDawg

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2002
new AOL on the way

For what it's worth, there is a completely new Mac version of AOL on the way. AOL reps have been on the OS X developer lists asking for input from the regulars there as to what they would want to see in the next version. Needless to say, most of us told them that they were talking to the wrong crowd (since I don't think ANY of the people on the dev list use AOL as their primary provider). Regardless, the AOL people say that it is being reprogrammed from the ground up using OS X technology and will not just be a "port" of the Windows client. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it...it seems every big company says that when they start a new project to try and woo some of the Mac faithful.

anyway, just thought I'd throw this out. It could explain the move by MS as a reactionary one to AOL.....or maybe the other way around.

Yes AOL is good for the little old ladies, but they don't deserve to have to deal with AOL. My mom freaks out when AOL does something odd, and I am sure that AOL and MSN would scare them as it says you have done something wrong and all of your mail has been deleted, that would freak out the poor little old ladies. Lets hope something more reliable comes out for all of the little old ladies out there.(Apples web browser:) hint hint!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I honestly hope AOL does do something about their software....it's so full of bugs and just all out sucks...slow as hell...gets hung up....crashes....blah!!

as for MSN for Mac...this being true would only confirm my beliefs that one day Macs & PCs will have the ability to come together in compatibility....while, of course, still remaining different platforms...I, for one will still hold true to Apple systems... ;)

I hope it does happen...the more exposure we get to the 95% of PS users out there the better! :p

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Please explain to me..

Originally posted by BeerDrinker29
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is MSN? Is it just an integrated browser/IM/email thingy? Sorry but I've never used it on Windows..
It's Microsoft's ISP, basically... Microsoft Network.

arn

Smasher

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
I find it odd that everyone's having so much trouble with AOL... I'm using the OS X version (on OS X, naturally) almost daily, and I don't think I've ever had aol do anything wierd on me since I started using the X version. Then again, I connect to the internet through attbi (aka @home), and connect through TCP/IP to aol, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Geronimo

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Nashville
MSN was the first internet service I used when I bought my first computer, a Compaq. It was okay for the first couple of weeks and then their proprietary dial-up software gave me fits--wouldn't sign in correctly. After several calls, I ended up just deleting all of their software out of my system (not an easy task) and using simple dial-up networking. Needless to say, I don't have a very good impression of MSN and have no plans to go back to them with my new iMac. The good thing about this news, though, is that they are porting MSN Explorer over to the Mac. Not that I like MSN Explorer--I don't. But MSN Explorer for Windows seems to be based on the latest version of MS Internet Explorer (6.0 for Windows). I'm wondering if, since Microsoft is developing MSN Explorer for Mac, they will concurrently be rolling out a new version of MS Internet Explorer for Mac. Heaven knows it's time. Right now Internet Explorer is the best all-round browser for the Mac, although Chimera/Navigator (now just at version 0.2) looks good now and will be awesome when it's done.