msn for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stefan Gowlar, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Stefan Gowlar macrumors newbie

i need software like msn but its msn where i can use my isight in conversations.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Microsoft Messenger 7 for Mac is supposed to be coming out soon too, it's supposed to include webcam capabilities and such. The others mentioned make good alternatives too.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I switch to Messenger 7 when it does come out. aMSN is a little bloated since it's Java.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

define soon....ive heard late 08/early 09

well i guess in microsoft's apple dept...(aka waiting 5 years for a new MS office update) that is pretty soon :D

6. kolax macrumors G3

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/05/microsoft-done-with-messenger-for-mac/

Seems that Microsoft are updating Messenger Mac one more time, before calling it quits.

They are developing a completely new client for Mac, and originally said that they would not be updating Messenger Mac 6. Seems they will be afterall, with Messenger Mac 7 to include audio and video capabilities and to be released soon.

7. peejack macrumors 6502a

The official mac messenger has always been crap. I have found the best overall is adium.

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Has anyone had issues with it on Leopard? while windows are open, there's a "boop" kind of sound like trying to type while the text box is not selected. It sometimes makes this sound on its own... like once every minute until your conversation is closed. Sometimes while trying to type, it doesn't register keystrokes. As if it'll only allow you to type 3 characters then thats it and have to open a new window again with whoever you're talking to. As well as endless crashes from time to time.... for no apparent reason.

9. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

As a recent Leopard upgrader, I beg to differ. Currently, Adium does not connect to the MSN service when you use Leopard.

I found something about it online yesterday after it didn't work for me.

Before upgrading, I was talking to someone on MSN and said "See you on the other side". I upgraded and afterwards, Adium would not connect to MSN. It still won't.

I've temporarily downloaded Messenger for Mac while I wait for a fix. Shouldn't be too long.

I just wish Apple would beg and beg to get MSN support in iChat. It would be so much easier to just have one app for everything that actually works with each OS update, and has audio/video and desktop sharing... like Adium on steroids. (Although that's rumoured to get A/V in the next update)

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It seems to vary for no good reason. Mine refused to connect to MSN when I did a clean install of leopard.

But, if you spend 10 minutes (if that) searching the adium forums, there's a temporary fix you can apply that fixes it. It involves a bit of Terminal work, but everything's there, all you have to do is copy and paste.

My adium has been working fine ever since applying that.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Strange, I've never had any MSN issues on my Macs.

I'm using the 1.2 Beta 7 now. You might want to look at that.

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's what I'm using. :)

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that the patching I did in terminal all those months ago has stayed in place, which either way means my adium is fixed. :)

If anyone finds it useful, although I can't find the terminal commands I used to get mine working, there's this fix on the adium forums which seems to be working:

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm already using OpenDNS as my DNS servers at home. At work we have our own DNS servers as well.

That's not really an AdiumX problem then but a networking one.

15. peejack macrumors 6502a

Confirmed that adium is also working on leopard on macbook pro here :confused:

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've installed Leopard on four Macs, on only one of them does Adium not work, I'll try the fix when I can :)

17. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. no problems with Adium 1.1.4 or 1.2b7 using MSN on 10.5.1 on either an iMac G5 or a Macbook C2D.

Would love video/audio as much as anyone though. Either with iChat or Adium.

18. Vampire18 macrumors newbie

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For now I use Adium, but resort to Mercury when I need video. I guess Messenger will change that in 17 days :)

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

17 days? They have a release date now?

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think Office will come at MWSF, along with Messenger...

22. ChronoYu macrumors member

I have the latest version of Adium X (1.1.4) but it doesn't have video chat. Or am I missing something? I'm using Leopard OS X 10.5. Is there a button that perhaps I didn't notice?

23. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

does adium support msn's "personal message" thing yet? and allow us to see other users pm's?

24. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

No, it still doesn't have video chat.

No, it doesn't yet unfortunately. I'm running the latest beta and it still doesn't support it that I can see.