Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm attaching screen shots. Sorry this is all set to German. But you see that there is no option of striping. Bootcamp1 and Bootcamp2 are my empty new partitions and Bootcamp is my working Windows drive.

Edit: In the EFI partition of all three drives it says GPT protective partition.
Try erasing them, and see if it will then allow you the stripe option. I just took a look at mine, and I came up with the same on anything that is currently formated.

After erasing (no important data ATM), the stripe option came up when right clicked. :)

Could it actually be this simple?!? :eek: I don't know 100%, but it would sure be nice. :D

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Try erasing them, and see if it will then allow you the stripe option. I just took a look at mine, and I came up with the same on anything that is currently formated.

After erasing (no important data ATM), the stripe option came up when right clicked. :)

Could it actually be this simple?!? :eek: I don't know 100%, but it would sure be nice. :D

I found out by studying the syntax that you cannot stripe volumes, only complete data carriers. This is probably the end of the road for this experiment. I would actually stripe the bloody buggers if I had means to reconstruct the EFI, OSX , separation block and the partition table. Obviously striping destroys the GPT. :eek: I'm obviously a bit mad now. Why can't I have a bog standard RAID utility for Windows on a Mac?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I found out by studying the syntax that you cannot stripe volumes, only complete data carriers. This is probably the end of the road for this experiment. I would actually stripe the bloody buggers if I had means to reconstruct the EFI, OSX , separation block and the partition table. Obviously striping destroys the GPT. :eek: I'm obviously a bit mad now. Why can't I have a bog standard RAID utility for Windows on a Mac?
That really blows. :(

I recall you want 3x SSD, but what drive locations do you have available, and what will the usage patterns be for each OS?

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Has a dual-boot over RAID of OSX and Windows been done to begin with?

AFAIK, certain RAID cards need flashing for booting either Windows or OSX.... Or with Areca's cards, is the flashing just for EFI support, regardless of OS:confused:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
i know i know, i get this from my dad all the time! i have been trying to start a computer repair business to get out of slaving away (i wont get started, i could bitch all day), but dont have enough time. had a 'semi-pro' DVD production lined up for the weekend too, but the guy pulled out.. damn money haha
Not a bad idea, provided you can get paid. :eek: I did stuff like that in the past, and had problems with individuals and small businesses. More than a few bankruptcies and deadbeats... :rolleyes: :mad:

ahh ok, i only ever tried it VM style, it was noticeably better then vista (it didn't BSOD when i installed it :rolleyes: ;)) so im giving it a very good chance. ill have to 'acquire' it somehow lol, hopefully its a small download.
It's a free and legit download (Aug. 20, not the 22nd :eek:). So get it now.
DOWNLOAD

im not bagging all of them at all, not in the slightest. only the "loud-mouth-know-it-alls" that actually dont know it all..

e.g. one guy called himself a "programmer", first tute for programming we got into he couldn't find the "start" button (not that it has to do with programming, just the fact that he couldn't possibly be a programmer when he has no idea about the computer at all).
They're out there, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, for some weird reason, they end up as the boss. :eek: Seriously.

dont get me wrong most mature age students really do know what they are talking about! one guy asked a REALLY good question in my communication class (where the bottlenecks are in the internet, especially when there is high volume traffic at peak hours). the lecture didn't understand though (not properly speaking English).. but you know.
Befriend those that have something to offer, as they can help you understand how things go, including office politics (a sad reality I'm afraid, and you do have to play). :rolleyes: Usually a few good stories too. :)

yes being an engineer would be rather specific, but its a very important field (what exactly are you in?).
I started out in Materials (polymers & semiconductor specialization), but the job I got after I graduated sucked (Quality Control in polymers). I absolutely couldn't stand it, as I was bored to tears. So I went back to school for Computer Engineering. I learned a lot, but it specialized in digital circuits, so my knowledge of analog was far more limited (fewer classes than the EE side). What I know about it now, is out of experience, and I could still stand to learn more. Another area I've learned outside of course work, would be cooling. One course in Fluid Dynamics left me woefully under prepared. :p

i do not consider myself arrogant at all, i know NOTHING.. i come on here and am blown away by what you guys know, and you aren't even in the field! i have been fortunate enough to do work experience with a number of companies and its very daunting. when i go into a place i dont know i tend to be quiet and take everything in (being a drummer i am good at learning quickly, if that makes sense). i can learn processes quickly and repeat them easily...but my knowledge at this point is basically nothing compared to others.
Experience. You'll learn it out of necessity, or end up unemployed. :eek: :D

for this Internet Stack, i am annoyed about it, i dont care about the higher levels that much.. getting into networking all i care about is the Link/Network layer (for in depth knowledge). of course i will need to know about the others, but not THAT much.. (unless my naive uni-boy attitude is leading me in the wrong direction here lol). i love learning but :p :)
For me, I tend to concentrate on the physical area, but that's circuits. ;)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
That really blows. :(

I recall you want 3x SSD, but what drive locations do you have available, and what will the usage patterns be for each OS?

I currently have 2 x 64 GB SSDs striped for OS X. I wanted to add another 64 GB to the array and cut of 21 GB of each for Vista. So I would end up with 63 GB for Windows which ist just good enough. Both arrays would probably have been faster that way.

The fourth position in my Mac Pro currently has a 1TB for Movies. Backup is via a 2TB TC.

I have 1 SATA reserve because one of the ODD-SATA is dedicated to my Blu-Ray ROM.

With this plan obviously not working I might have to buy two SSDs and use all my ports. I like to keep one free for copies.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Has a dual-boot over RAID of OSX and Windows been done to begin with?
With hardware, Yes, IIRC. But I've not yet seen it done successfully with OS (software). :(

I'm guessing, but a fake RAID solution should work as well, as the drivers are supplied by the manufacturer, and the technique (low level operation) should be the same between OS drivers. Finding one of these that can boot on both a Mac and PC may be difficult to find though. :confused: I've not looked for one, so I don't know for sure. :eek:

AFAIK, certain RAID cards need flashing for booting either Windows or OSX.... Or with Areca's cards, is the flashing just for EFI support, regardless of OS:confused:
Highpoint can only hold the EFI or BIOS version of firmware. If you're using Linux and Windows, the BIOS version can boot both, but if the EFI variant is loaded, only OS X will boot. :(

As boards switch to some form of EFI (UEFI 2.1), this would hopefully change, but it won't help currently. (I've only seen an MSI board running UEFI 2.1, and it was an experimental).

Areca apparently can do multiple OS's. :) The EFI is an add-on as I understand it, but there's a member here who got it to boot into OS X without even installing it. :D Atto as well, but I've not ever used one on a Mac, and can't say from my own experience this is actually the case.

I'd sent emails to both companies about this, and didn't get a clear answer from either.

I don't have a Mac anymore, nor have I yet made my current machine a hackintosh. So anything I might manage to do (Areca's), would only have implications in the hackintosh community. :(

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
This should really be addressed by Apple. The disk utility is very good for OS X but this BootCamp app is pure crap. It should be integrated in disk utility and let you set up the whole shebang.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I currently have 2 x 64 GB SSDs striped for OS X. I wanted to add another 64 GB to the array and cut of 21 GB of each for Vista. So I would end up with 63 GB for Windows which ist just good enough. Both arrays would probably have been faster that way.

The fourth position in my Mac Pro currently has a 1TB for Movies. Backup is via a 2TB TC.

I have 1 SATA reserve because one of the ODD-SATA is dedicated to my Blu-Ray ROM.

With this plan obviously not working I might have to buy two SSDs and use all my ports. I like to keep one free for copies.
Yeah, it looks like the solution is a separate SSD for windows stuffed in the empty optical bay. Eats the remaining SATA port, and the cost of another drive. Ouch. :( :(

I wish all this effort had turned out for you, but it seems Windows and OS X are just too different from one another to make it work. :rolleyes: //grrr.

I guess the one thing that did come out of all of this, is a definite answer. --It won't work, unless the arrays are on separate drives.--

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
With hardware, Yes, IIRC. But I've not yet seen it done successfully with OS (software). :(

I would imagine it being VERY difficult with software, if not impossible - thank you EFI/OSX?

Can one dual-boot with software RAID under BIOS? It may simply be that EFI is outdated (nobody had thought of software RAID with two OSes at the time of conception). I could just be the new kid on the block, thinking that everything is old :)

Highpoint can only hold the EFI or BIOS version of firmware. If you're using Linux and Windows, the BIOS version can boot both, but if the EFI variant is loaded, only OS X will boot. :(..... Areca apparently can do multiple OS's. :)

Epic facedesk on my part.

As boards switch to some form of EFI (UEFI 2.1), this would hopefully change, but it won't help currently. (I've only seen an MSI board running UEFI 2.1, and it was an experimental).
As long as there as UEFI is BIOS-esque in interface, it spanks EFI currently :D

I don't have a Mac anymore, nor have I yet made my current machine a hackintosh. So anything I might manage to do (Areca's), would only have implications in the hackintosh community. :(

And this is a bad thing how:confused::D I kid, I kid. I would never make a Häkkentosh... for my main work machine. Rendering nodes are a different matter:D

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I would imagine it being VERY difficult with software, if not impossible - thank you EFI/OSX?

Can one dual-boot with software RAID under BIOS? It may simply be that EFI is outdated (nobody had thought of software RAID with two OSes at the time of conception). I could just be the new kid on the block, thinking that everything is old :)
IIRC, it's been done with Windows and Linux. But the simplest solution is the same as gugucom ran into. Place each OS on it's own array.

As long as there as UEFI is BIOS-esque in interface, it spanks EFI currently :D
EFI and it's variants (UEFI 2.0 & 2.1) are far newer than BIOS. It's just Apple does their own implementation of it (based off EFI 1.10, but not exactly standard). They don't even allow users to access any of the settings, so I don't blame the firmware standard used. ;) :p

And this is a bad thing how:confused::D I kid, I kid. I would never make a Häkkentosh... for my main work machine. Rendering nodes are a different matter:D
I don't regret sending the Mac Pro back one iota. :D It wasn't going to do what I needed well, or cost effectively. The need for external enclosures killed the savings, and VM wasn't going to work for a specific purpose (attempting to run LabVIEW under OS X, and MultiSIM under Windows VM; I couldn't get data to pass properly, and National Instruments couldn't figure out what was wrone either).

So I sent it back, eating the return shipping and restocking fee. I waited until Nehalem came out, and DIY'ed my system, but it's only running Windows (primary OS) and Linux (has it's uses). :)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
On a final thought I'm just wondering why Intel post this driver package as RAID and AHCI. When I search in the package I find nothing that supports RAID. Have I overlooked something?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
On a final thought I'm just wondering why Intel post this driver package as RAID and AHCI. When I search in the package I find nothing that supports RAID. Have I overlooked something?
The RAID set is just an extension of AHCI, and are included in the driver package. :)

* 1. OVERVIEW

The Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager is designed to provide
functionality for the following Storage Controllers:

- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID I/O Controller
- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA AHCI I/O Controller
- Intel(R) 82801HBM SATA AHCI I/O Controller
- Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GR SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GR SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GH SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801GH SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel(R) 82801FBM SATA AHCI Controller

This product is available for use on systems using the
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Processor or Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo
Processor with the following I/O Controller Hub:

- Intel(R) 82801HEM I/O Controller Hub (ICH8M-E)
- Intel(R) 82801HBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH8M)
- Intel(R) 82801HR/HH/HO I/O Controller Hub (ICH8R)
- Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub (ESB2)
- Intel(R) 82801GHM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7MR)
- Intel(R) 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M)
- Intel(R) 82801GR I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R)
- Intel(R) 82801GH I/O controller Hub (ICH7DH)
- Intel(R) 82801FR I/O Controller Hub (ICH6R)
- Intel(R) 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH6M)

The above is from the ReadMe.txt on Intel's site (link). It also applies to ICH9 & ICH10 variants. ;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not a bad idea, provided you can get paid. :eek: I did stuff like that in the past, and had problems with individuals and small businesses. More than a few bankruptcies and deadbeats... :rolleyes: :mad:
i know tell me about it :( people are so scummy these days..

It's a free and legit download (Aug. 20, not the 22nd :eek:). So get it now.
DOWNLOAD
thanks!! but that will only last for 15 days lol!!! not sure if its worth it, the download is hefty.

They're out there, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, for some weird reason, they end up as the boss. :eek: Seriously.
great! :rolleyes: sucking up here i come.

Befriend those that have something to offer, as they can help you understand how things go, including office politics (a sad reality I'm afraid, and you do have to play). :rolleyes: Usually a few good stories too. :)
i will, its often the quiet ones that know a lot and have a lot to say.

I started out in Materials (polymers & semiconductor specialization), but the job I got after I graduated sucked (Quality Control in polymers). I absolutely couldn't stand it, as I was bored to tears. So I went back to school for Computer Engineering. I learned a lot, but it specialized in digital circuits, so my knowledge of analog was far more limited (fewer classes than the EE side). What I know about it now, is out of experience, and I could still stand to learn more. Another area I've learned outside of course work, would be cooling. One course in Fluid Dynamics left me woefully under prepared. :p
wow.... thats incredible!! congrats on all that, i could only wish to learn that stuff, so complicated!

Experience. You'll learn it out of necessity, or end up unemployed. :eek: :D
great, thanks.. meany haha!

For me, I tend to concentrate on the physical area, but that's circuits. ;)
circuits are quite interesting, (switches and gates eheh), but my knowledge is limited, i understand the basics though :) out of all the languages i have done so far (C++, java, some applescript, assembly) i have enjoyed assembly :) its great fun

im sure we can sort something out :p

awww come on, they are very stable (if you do it right)..

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Yes, I read the readme. What looked kind of suspicious to me is the Storage matrix manager program. That is supposed to have a RAID setup or at least monitor. You can see example pics in the online help of the program. Although I have now fitted a RAID0 with the Disk program in Vista I see nothing of this in the storage manager.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
thanks!! but that will only last for 15 days lol!!! not sure if its worth it, the download is hefty.
Nope! :eek: The ability to download it dissappears on August 20, but the software doesn't expire until June 1, 2010. :D But starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. ;)

That should give you enough time to save up for a copy. :)

great! :rolleyes: sucking up here i come.
Get used to it! :eek: Maybe a set of good knee pads is in order as well. :D :p

circuits are quite interesting, (switches and gates eheh), but my knowledge is limited, i understand the basics though :) out of all the languages i have done so far (C++, java, some applescript, assembly) i have enjoyed assembly :) its great fun
Meh, it's not that hard. Wait a minute, why the hell did I say that, given the number of times I chase down things like jitter, skew, and timing problems? :eek: :p That's part of the challenge, though it can make me want to rip out some hair at times. ;)

It's fun to see something physically materialize. More so than software for me at any rate. :)

awww come on, they are very stable (if you do it right)..
I wouldn't have problem with building a hackintosh, and am quite interested. Just haven't gotten around to do it yet. ;)

Yes, I read the readme. What looked kind of suspicious to me is the Storage matrix manager program. That is supposed to have a RAID setup or at least monitor. You can see example pics in the online help of the program. Although I have now fitted a RAID0 with the Disk program in Vista I see nothing of this in the storage manager.
It's there. :)

Click the Start menu, goto All Programs, and scroll down until you see a folder called Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The application is located there. :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Nope! :eek: The ability to download it dissappears on August 20, but the software doesn't expire until June 1, 2010. :D But starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. ;)

That should give you enough time to save up for a copy. :)

oh! well that makes sense! *gets ready to download* i daresay dad could get a copy of it from school for cheap (being a school teacher)... for around $50, so that problem is solved.

Get used to it! :eek: Maybe a set of good knee pads is in order as well. :D :p
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ill have to find my roller blade knee pads from 10 years ago :p

Meh, it's not that hard. Wait a minute, why the hell did I say that, given the number of times I chase down things like jitter, skew, and timing problems? :eek: :p That's part of the challenge, though it can make me want to rip out some hair at times. ;)
from what ive seen, its crazy! all people that do it are wowzers. x -> y logic haha.

It's fun to see something physically materialize. More so than software for me at any rate. :)
oh yea, the software people basically need you to write the lower programs!! (well not anymore, but you know).

I wouldn't have problem with building a hackintosh, and am quite interested. Just haven't gotten around to do it yet. ;)
well then get to it!! my PM is there somewhere hahahaha give it a read :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
oh! well that makes sense! *gets ready to download* i daresay dad could get a copy of it from school for cheap (being a school teacher)... for around $50, so that problem is solved.
What?!? You're not done yet? Hop to it man! :D

from what ive seen, its crazy! all people that do it are wowzers. x -> y logic haha.
Of course. ;) That's part of the job description. :D :p

oh yea, the software people basically need you to write the lower programs!! (well not anymore, but you know).
I wish more programmers did understand the low level aspects better. Too much reliance on the higher level is causing code bloat, and poor functionality. :rolleyes: :(

They're depending on the compiler to do it for them, and it's too general. It can't really optimize the code well, and is left to the programmer. :rolleyes:

Software engineers that are good at it, should be able to remain employed as long as they wish, or at least manage to avoid the loony bin. ;) :p

well then get to it!! my PM is there somewhere hahahaha give it a read :)
email sent. ;)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Oh.. Window 7RC..

I was wondering what you good folks was talking about..

Yeah I downloaded when it was released, the file took a while to actually complete then again MS's servers were really busy! Thing is though, I ain't got any space on the Mac for it, it's gonna have to wait till i return home.. think i'll whack it onto the PC!!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I was wondering what you good folks was talking about..

Yeah I downloaded when it was released, the file took a while to actually complete then again MS's servers were really busy! Thing is though, I ain't got any space on the Mac for it, it's gonna have to wait till i return home.. think i'll whack it onto the PC!!

haha :p i cant download it! i just left it going for an hour, and the ball was spinning away... doing nothing..

What?!? You're not done yet? Hop to it man! :D
it wont! :(

I wish more programmers did understand the low level aspects better. Too much reliance on the higher level is causing code bloat, and poor functionality. :rolleyes: :(

They're depending on the compiler to do it for them, and it's too general. It can't really optimize the code well, and is left to the programmer. :rolleyes:

yes it really doesnt promote good coding practices does it! the majority of people coding properly is very low..even M$ doesnt do it very well (if you have looked at their code, you'd understand :rolleyes: it is R18+ material!).

this has been a complaint of mine for a long time, because CPU power has kept increasing people have not cared to make them very efficient and expected the power to fix it, but now that we are in a 'dry spell' i hope that people will change..

Software engineers that are good at it, should be able to remain employed as long as they wish, or at least manage to avoid the loony bin. ;) :p
too bad im not in engineering aye! ill come back in 5 years and see if your crazy yet eheh

email sent. ;)
awsome! im doing some research now for you and formulating (its complicated stuff :p) a reply..:):D

p.s. you use too many smilies ;)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
haha :p i cant download it! i just left it going for an hour, and the ball was spinning away... doing nothing..
I wonder what's wrong? Perhaps that the link is in the US? The slackers making a mad dash to get it before it's gone from the site? :confused:

Try again, but here's the .au site just in case it is the US site won't let you (it wouldn't let me get to the .au download section), and see if you can get to the right place if needed.

yes it really doesnt promote good coding practices does it! the majority of people coding properly is very low..even M$ doesnt do it very well (if you have looked at their code, you'd understand :rolleyes: it is R18+ material!).

this has been a complaint of mine for a long time, because CPU power has kept increasing people have not cared to make them very efficient and expected the power to fix it, but now that we are in a 'dry spell' i hope that people will change..
MS, and most other sw developers have been dragging their heels for quite some time. Too much recycled/spaghetti code. :rolleyes: They don't want to take the time to go back and start fresh, due to the time/effort = costs involved.

awsome! im doing some research now for you and formulating (its complicated stuff :p) a reply..:):D

p.s. you use too many smilies ;)
:cool: Thanks. :D

P.S. It's fun. :p

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I wonder what's wrong? Perhaps that the link is in the US? The slackers making a mad dash to get it before it's gone from the site? :confused:

maybe?? im not sure...

Try again, but here's the .au site just in case it is the US site won't let you (it wouldn't let me get to the .au download section), and see if you can get to the right place if needed.

i found the link to the RC, but when you choose everything it goes to the US site!! and the spinning thing is going again.. this is on the 32-bit one, i may aswell get the 64-bit one (then i cant install it on my MBP).

MS, and most other sw developers have been dragging their heels for quite some time. Too much recycled/spaghetti code. :rolleyes: They don't want to take the time to go back and start fresh, due to the time/effort = costs involved.

Adobe have been too, and they consider themselves professional apps! :eek: but yea, it would cost ALOT to go back.. start from scratch, not worth it for them..

:cool: Thanks. :D

P.S. It's fun. :p

email sent :) happy reading lol

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
I saw this thread a few days ago and, while I thought I was pretty sure, didn't want to pipe in prematurely to say 'Software RAIDs can't dual boot' which is always what I understood. Is this basically the truth we're discovering?

Incidentally, OP if I were you, I'd calculate how much space Bootcamp requires and buy a designated SSD accordingly.. or cheap out and buy one of those old school spinning disks :)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I saw this thread a few days ago and, while I thought I was pretty sure, didn't want to pipe in prematurely to say 'Software RAIDs can't dual boot' which is always what I understood. Is this basically the truth we're discovering?

Incidentally, OP if I were you, I'd calculate how much space Bootcamp requires and buy a designated SSD accordingly.. or cheap out and buy one of those old school spinning disks :)

I don't think the "software RAID" is the issue here. We demonstrated that mixed OS booting from one array is feasible. Were we fell down was the lack of granularity of the Vista internal disk management program. If the syntax was applicable to volumes and not only to complete disks we could have done it. With hindsight it looks foolish to have spend the time to find that out but must say it was also fun and would have been very cool to achieve. As it is Vista will have to stay on his spinning disk for some more weeks until the new Intel SSDs touch down in Germany. I will then probably shift the Supertalent SSDs from OS X to Vista and use the new Intels for OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.