Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Tell me about your multi-vitamin. I am in college and my diet isn't that great so I was thinking about taking a multi-vitamin. Anything I need to know?

Only rule is that the pill can't be huge because I don't swallow big pills very well.

Thanks

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
if you have a costco in you area i would recommend the Kirkland Multi Vitamin Pack. Its pretty good, i take a pack every day.:D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i take the Men's One a day.

its a pretty good sized pill though. but i used to never be able to swallow big pills, i've since learned to deal with it and have no problems.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Don't follow my advice without doing your own research first.
That said.

According to a few US Navy studies conducted to see if multi-vitamins improve the health of Special Forces Operators on extended missions, multi-vitamins are unnecessary a person to take, if the person is eating average american diet (huge gradient). The studies also show that taking that stuff doesn't make your muscles grow faster, maker you leaner, or healthier. If you feel like you must take some vitamin, take the cheaper kind because when you pee the stuff out it will be costing you less. Don't buy the expensive GNC multivitamins.

I think you will be ahead of the curve, as long as you eat three square meals a day and run 30 minutes day.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I take a Men's Daily, 1200mg Omega-3 and 500mg of vitamin C

I used to take 1000mg, but I ended up peeing a lot so I cut it back in half. Doing better :)

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
i dont know about you but the cafeteria here has these naked juices. their made out of a pound of fruit and some arepretty good.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I took a Centrum one-a-day every day for years and years, and last year I added a 400 IU Vitamin E supplement as suggested by a friend of mine who is a doctor. (Helps the liver recover from occasional alcohol mistreatment!) But two weeks ago I joined LA Weight Loss and they hooked me up with about a jillion vitamins and supplements and minerals and these crazy huge fish oil capsules that I'm supposed to swallow six of every day! (Chew them and they taste like perch!) I'm very leery of all these pills but I need to slim down and so far I haven't been able to do it myself, so their program is worth an honest try.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Maybe I will just try to eat better instead...lol

Do that and take a multivitamin and you will be on the road to good health. Vitamin B12 is especially important because it affects our moods. People who are feeling down or depressed are often deficient in B12.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I took a Centrum one-a-day every day for years and years, and last year I added a 400 IU Vitamin E supplement as suggested by a friend of mine who is a doctor. (Helps the liver recover from occasional alcohol mistreatment!) But two weeks ago I joined LA Weight Loss and they hooked me up with about a jillion vitamins and supplements and minerals and these crazy huge fish oil capsules that I'm supposed to swallow six of every day! (Chew them and they taste like perch!) I'm very leery of all these pills but I need to slim down and so far I haven't been able to do it myself, so their program is worth an honest try.

Six a day?!

One teaspoon of fish oil is plenty for one day.

And all those minerals and vitamins are totally unnecessary. A multivitamin pill and one teaspoon of fish oil a day makes your body plenty happy (plus a lot of water and good ol' food).

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I take a fish oil 'burstlet' tablet (you know, the ones where you chew them and there is liquid inside), called 'Study Smart'. It is meant to help you concentrate better, and improve memory. The packaging has a picture of a MacBook Pro with some books next to it :D.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
if you are a guy, look for multi-vitamins that contain no iron.

personally, i take trader joe's iron-free multi-vitamin and mineral antioxidant.

i also take 2200mg of fish oil for omega-3 fatty acids everyday (from TJ's also). when purchasing fish oil, make sure that it's molecularly distilled, which means contaminants (i.e. PCBs, mercury) are removed. :)

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
The best multi is the Vitamin Shope's "Ultimate Man." It has the best bang for your buck as far as multi's go. It will make your piss look like it is radioactive. It's what I take, and look at me....:rolleyes::D
Photo19.jpg

ezekel

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2004
Royal Oak
I would take different vitamins throughout the year and I always found that they make my face breakout. I took Centrum, Kirkland and tried Trader Joe's but always the same results.

If I did have to take one I would stick with the Trader Joe's multi pak, the ones where it has 6-8 different pills like an animal pack.

Now I try to eat the right foods and so far so good. I do take a Omega 3 pill though.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
if you are a guy, look for multi-vitamins that contain no iron.

personally, i take trader joe's iron-free multi-vitamin and mineral antioxidant.

i also take 2200mg of fish oil for omega-3 fatty acids everyday (from TJ's also). when purchasing fish oil, make sure that it's molecularly distilled, which means contaminants (i.e. PCBs, mercury) are removed. :)

I have to reiterate what biturbomunkie said, men who take iron supplements unless they have been specifically told that they are deficient have a higher risk of heart disease. So, stick with either iron-free supplements or choose a Men's multivitamin because they will be formulated without iron as well. I take One-A-Day Men's and they're not too large, then again, the size of a pill is subjective.

Also, couldn't agree more with everyone saying to take fish oil everyday. And if you encounter fish burps, keep the fish pills in the freezer and that should help eliminate them. They also make odor-free fish pills, but they tend to be a bit pricier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.