Multicolored Activity Complication ruins Utility watch face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by aberrero, Sep 21, 2015.

1. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Title says it all. The multicolored look is okay for the digital faces but the multicolored complication on Utility with no option to change it ruins it. It looks really out of place.

2. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

It's a good thing we don't have to use it. :)

I like it.

3. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

So like it or don't use it? Maybe that should be Apple's slogan.

4. chiffchaff macrumors member

I like it too. You can choose a different complication or just turn it off.

5. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was using it before, then they updated it and made it ugly and I can't use it anymore.

6. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

You don't have to use the multicolored rings. You can still use the original colors.

7. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

How?

8. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

Scroll the wheel up and down to choose color bro

9. andrewstirling macrumors regular

Doesn't work on the utility watch face. Only on modular

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I like it, but I do think that if this truly is Apple's most personal device yet, you should be able to change the colour of individual complications.

11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

It's really all subjective, so people saying "I like it" or "I don't like it" aren't really accomplishing anything except expressing their own opinion.

OP does have a point in that by not allowing us to choose the individual colors, there will be a lot of clashing colors that are not typically what aesthetic designers would pair together. For example, I have a green second hand, with the orange timer in the top right hand corner. In my eyes, it looks tacky, and are contrasting colors. While good for a sports team, it looks terrible on my watch imo. For someone else, it may look beautiful. But suffice it to say, these were not planned to be together. It is just a happenstance of not being able to customize the colors.

12. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but I don't see multicolored as a choice on the Utility Face. Do you mean the Modular face which does have the option of multicolor for the complications or a two-color face choice (white/gray or optional color/white).

13. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, it's not an option. It is forced to always be multicolor. The Simple face on the other hand offers only single color. The only one that provides a choice is modular.

14. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's why I'm mad: I spent two months going through watch faces and finally made one that I really liked. I update my watch and the face I had that I liked is gone and there isn't a good alternative. I find Simple to be ugly.

15. Jakeycov macrumors member

Jakeycov

If this is all you have to worry about in life, then you should be happy.

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

it doesn't RUIN the watch face... you can just choose not to use it. there. problem solved!

like others..... i quite like it and it's my current watch face... doesn't RUIN my watch at all.

i don't like the jellyfish... but it sure doesn't RUIN the watch...

i do wish i could customize the colors on the multi-color face though!

17. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I like the Simple more than Utility and wish it was color there. Also wish you could do modular with complications with the photos.

18. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

There is a simple solution to your problem: press clock face and scroll to the ones you don't like and slide upward and select delete and you won't see the ugly watch face in your choices for faces.

19. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

See, this is how personal it all is -- I like how Simple doesn't have any colors besides the seconds hand. ;)

Utility and Simple were my two favorites in OS1, but they were too similar. I still use Simple maybe 90% of the time. I think the bits of color added to Utility sets it apart (check the Timer and Alarm complications, too; weren't they grey before?). Utility's Arabic numerals are less formal than Simple's stick markers, so I think colored icons fit better in the Utility face. But, now it's more "fun" and less "business", so I can understand the disappointment.

20. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I have to agree. Until the software update, I used the Utility face in all white, and I liked it more monochromatic with white complications. The Simple face gets me there, but I like the arabiv numbers of the Utility face. Oh well, I'll figure something else out. No biggie.

21. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I like it a lot. The colors are appealing to me

22. aberrero thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's honestly not about it becoming more "fun", the problem is that the colors clash and look really out of place. The other complications are now orange also, but at least that is a neutral color that looks okay. The colored wheel draws too much attention away from the time display I think.

It bothers me in the same way that the settings icon in Yosemite bugged me. It's just ugly and incongruent and not what I would expect from Apple.

23. 1000 macrumors member

OP, use SIMPLE. Looks very similar and nothing is multi-coloured.

24. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The only suggestion I have is to move activity to the bottom position and put something else in its place at the top. The color will be gone and you will have your info available.