multifunction with WiFi ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AeroBar, Sep 23, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've googled this but I can't find an answer.

If a "multifunction" printer has built-in WiFi does that mean the printer, copier AND scanner are WiFi OR is just the printer WiFi ??

Are all units different ??

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Should be all three functions, but I'd imagine it varies. What model?

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hadn't settled on a model until I'm sure what models completely WiFi.

thanks for the answer.

4. SoonerChris macrumors member

SoonerChris

The Canon MX860 that I got at the Apple store can print AND scan wirelessly.

Here's the link:

Apple Store Canon MX860

5. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I'd suggest a laser B&W AIO, I have a Brother 7840w MFC and its great on my network...

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've got the same one and have been very pleased with it. I've also owned Brother laser printers in the past and have been happy with them, too.

8. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, but that's way too expensive... and more importantly way too big.:eek:

okay, after further thought I think I know what I need :-

wireless printing AND scanning
    colour printing
    double sided printing
    CD/DVD printing
    Also, I'll be scanning in old photographs so I need a good scanner (but nothing to pricey)

I'd like to keep it under €150 or there abouts and as small as possible.
    I'd also prefer a mainly white unit (to with the rest of the room)

anybody got suggestions?

thanks.

9. cube macrumors G5

The most complete inkjet is the HP Photosmart Premium All In One With FAX C309.

10. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a bit on the large size, but thanks for the info... can it scan wirelessly? I don't see it - but I'd like know what info I need to be looking for!!

11. cube macrumors G5

I use it wired, but I see in the HP support forums that it can also scan wirelessly.

I would have really wanted a duplex color laser multifunction, but those really are HUGE.
    The size of this printer is good for the functionality. It is not heavy.

It's £149 direct from hp.co.uk

Every printer was missing something before this one came out.

12. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Another vote here for the Canon MX860. Does all you require except (I think) the CD/DVD printing, and all of it wirelessly. I doubt it comes in any other color than its basic silver and black. Great printer, though.

13. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Oh, and I want to add that Amazon offers the MX860 at $149. That's where I got mine--and there are a lot of user reviews to read there, too.

14. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

the colour isn't a dealbreaker (just a preference) but size is definately an issue:(

15. cube macrumors G5

The MX860 does not print discs. The previous MX850 does, but it's not wireless.

The Canons also can't FAX from OSX (they can from Windows).
    They also don't do dual-sided FAXing (only scan and print).

But the Canons are suppossedly the most reliable inkjets.

16. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

the MX860 seems like a good size - is the scanning wireless?

about double sided scanning and printing - what is the difference with doing it "manually"?

17. cube macrumors G5

The C309a weighs 10.4 Kg. The MX860 weighs 11.8 Kg. Check the bulk.

Manual duplex print: You print all the front sides, take the pages, put them back in the feeder reversed, and print the back sides.

Manual duplex scanning: You put each page side on the glass or feeder manually (maybe there is some printer that allows to automatically feed all the front sides, and then the back sides).

18. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

would you guys say that duplex printing is nothing major - pretty much the same just doing it manually?

19. cube macrumors G5

I don't like to baby sit my printer. Take into account that inkjets normally don't have a large feeder, so you'll have double the handling for large documents (although if you're usually going to print large documents you're better off with a laser, LED, or solid ink).

Beware many duplex printers do not duplex copy or scan. Many printers with "duplex copy" do not have a real duplex document feeder, but mean they combine two separately scanned sides into one printed page.

20. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I haven't actually used duplex printing on the MX860 yet, and don't have the time right now to give it a whirl for you. The scanning, yes, is wireless, and it'll scan to print or to pdf or to jpeg on your computer. If you're on Snow Leopard, you have to make sure you have the updated drivers from Canon, though, and the first installation/set-up has to be done through physical connection (USB, if I remember correctly). I was pretty sure that the 860 can fax from a Mac, but, again, I haven't taken the time to double check or set it up for that. Some searching should bring up the answer to that.

21. cube macrumors G5

I did a thorough investigation of the MX850 and the MX860 when researching for my printer. They can't.

If the C309a had not come out, I would have bought the MX850 because of the disc printing, as I didn't care about wireless, shortcomings and all.

22. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

Another importantant thing that you have to keep in mind is the price of consumibles such as cartdriges. Some are so expensive that you better buy a new printer each time you have to change them.

24. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I've read that the C8180 has a terrific scanner, but from what I've read, it won't scan wirelessly. Otherwise, it looks like a really good printer. Does anyone knowhow the scan quality and speed of the C309a et al stack up against the 8180?

25. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi,

after further research I've settled on two choices - both Canon.

The MP990 and the MP640 seem to suit my needs but it is unclear as to whether the scanning function is wireless.

I know the MP990 isn't due to be released until November, but the MP640 is a new release.

can anybody tell me if either of these two have wireless scanning?

thanks