Multiple Displays (lolwut?)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ScottishCaptain, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Can anyone explain why Apple is marketing the TB displays as being chainable...

And 10.7 happily negates the ability to actually use them by blocking out the secondary monitor when you enter full-screen on any application?

Is it just me, or is this one of the stupidest ****ing things Apple has ever done in a long time? A decision as profoundly flawed as this only serves to demonstrate just how out of touch the various parts of Apple have become with themselves.

I would not have expected a mistake of this magnitude to happen with the Apple we had 5 years ago. But today? Oh, who cares about Lion being horribly, horribly broken. We have iCloud. And the iPhone 4S. And both are shiny! Yes, stare into the shine. Let the shine envelope you. Be a good little Apple customer and don't question us anymore.

(PS: If it wasn't apparent, I just got a second monitor for my workstation. Xcode full screen is the bomb. I was thinking, "OMG, I might be able to run Xcode AND Logic 9- both fullscreen! OMGOMGOMG!". That thought was quickly shattered by the cluster**** of reality...)

-SC

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'm suffering the same thing myself. I have a 24" monitor and the day I upgraded to Lion (the day it came out) it wouldn't let me use a full screen app on it. I was hoping this would be fixed in 10.7.1, but it wasn't. That's OK though...surely they'll fix it in 10.7.2, right? NOPE.

I agree with you 100%, I don't understand why the Apple developers think it makes sense to take an app I open in full screen on my 24" Monitor, move it to my 17" monitor (the one attached to my MBP) and then make my 24" useless with their damn linen background.

3. WSR macrumors regular

To show you the extent that Apple thinks blocking out 2nd monitor is good. I noticed the other day that even in Snow Leopard, Itunes will block out the 2nd monitor when playing a video in Full-Screen.

4. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Windows 8, however, is building in robust multi-monitor support :D

5. Queen6, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The screen blanking/switching is allegedly a feature, I am ok with Lion, however the atrocious multiscreen surport is laughable, all it would take is a couple of options; not to blank and or switch, even VLC has this option for full screen...

The display behaviour for those of us with muti screen systems, completely defeats the purpose of fullscreen apps and why my MBP 4.1 with Snow Leopard is still primary and nor will I upgrade. My fear is that Apple do view this functionality as a feature and will never correct the full screen apps display behaviour, preferring to favour single display, small single display systems.

My new replacement Mac is irrevocably 10.7 and of course you can continue to run apps windowed, however this was not my expectation, fundamentally it`s common sense that if people have multiple display`s they will want to run multiple fullscreen apps :rolleyes:

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

It is very lame. I haven't heard of anyone who actually likes this feature.

And I haven't heard of any work-arounds; has anyone seen anything that fixes this?

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I haven't found Lion to be "horribly, horribly broken" at all. I have no use for fullscreen mode so, while I think it's stupid how broken it is with 2 screen support, it doesn't affect me. I haven't found anything else that can really be considered "broken"...

8. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Myself used to be a lion hater. But I just thought id mention this. Apples mistake was calling this new API fullscreen in actuality it's single app mode to mirror the iPad so what apple needs to do is add full screen to lion and let us choose