Resolved Multiple Displays with MacBook Pro retina 13" 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by di1in, Aug 21, 2016.

1. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

How can I connect multiple HDMI monitors to my MacBook Pro retina 13 inch 2015 model? Can I connect two external and also use my internal monitor?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Yes, easily. Depending on resolution and refresh rates, of course.

2 x 2560x1440 in addition to the built-in display is certainly fine.

3. jerryk macrumors 68040

You have one HDMI port on the unit so an HDMI-HDMI cable will work for that. For the second monitor you need a mini-Display Port to HDMI cable/adapter. I use two external monitor on my rMBP 15 quite often with this setup.

You can use the internal display at the same time, but I find it difficult to switch focus from the small laptop display to the bigger external monitors.

4. di1in, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

di1in thread starter macrumors regular

di1in

Thank you so much. One more question: Can I use HDMI on one and a mini-display to VGA adapter on the other? (because I already have one of those lying around)

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you have a vga connected screen then of course, if the screen only has HDMI inputs then no. Of course HDMI is more useful on lcd screens as vga is an analogue input.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

VGA is also more limited in terms of resolutions. But other than that, sure you can use a mixture of different connectors.

7. jerryk macrumors 68040

Yes, but you will need the appropriate adapter/cable. I do a lot of presentations and you never know if the projectors are going to support VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc. As a result I carry a mini-display port adapter that supports all 3, since they often have the projector cable, but almost never a mini display port adapter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Version-Displayport-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B00UHLC24O
    is the one I use, but there are a lot of other choices.

8. di1in thread starter macrumors regular

di1in