Multiple Displays

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by EthanLMT, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

Howdy! I have an Apple TV (3rd Generation) and I want to hook it up to somewhere around 12 displays. I want to stretch the image from the device across all 12 of the displays (one HUGE image). What hardware would I need to do this and how much would it cost (assuming I already have the displays and the Apple TV). All of the screens are VGA/HDMI capable. Thanks for the help!

2. EthanLMT thread starter macrumors regular

EthanLMT

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

In the description on the B&H website it says the KanexPro 1 x 16 4K HDMI Distribution Amplifier splits a single HDMI signal for identical output on up to 16 displays simultaneously. I could not find anything in the description that says that it could support spanning a single image across multiple displays like requested in the OP.

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It would take one image and send it to up to 12 displays. If you want to divide one image up into 12 pieces, and then send each piece to a different display times 12, you would probably need more than one device to this. A good video mixer should work.

5. EthanLMT thread starter macrumors regular

EthanLMT

Does anyone think they could point me twoards "a good video mixer"?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

7. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

LMAO my bad, I wasnt paying attention, that wont work for a mac....soooooorrrrrryyyy i am still half asleep today

8. EthanLMT thread starter macrumors regular

EthanLMT

Yeah. I'm definitely looking for something that I can plug an Apple TV into :/
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    The last one seems too complicated to me... I just want a simple box that I can plug an HDMI cord into that will split the image out into pieces to 12 different HDMI ports. 1 box. 1 HDMI in. 12 out. I know that they have this for mirroring the image over different displays, but I want to actually split it into pieces.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 17, 2016 ---
    As for the video wall, I am really just interested in buying a box off amazon or something

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't know how you will get that 12-way screen to happen from just one AppleTV.

I did find this 16-port HDMI splitter on Amazon
    But, it mirrors the original image to as many as 16 outputs, not 16 pieces (or even 12) to make a large video wall.
    You will need to get a video controller that will do that - either in software (not on OS X, but I could be wrong on that), or a hardware solution of some kind.
    What is your budget? It's not gonna be the "cheap box from Amazon" that you are hoping for.
    You need a controller that will compensate for differences in color and brightness for all those displays, and also allows for the "gaps" that will affect multi-screen displays, etc. (You need to spend a lot of cash to get multiple identical displays that all display close to identically. It will be painfully obvious on a 12-screen wall.
    Look at some of the sites that sell and support display walls.
    You may even have a pro AV company local to you, where you can ask questions, and get answers that will be useful to you.

10. DeltaMac, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, still just a splitter, that gives you up to 16 identical outputs.
    http://www.kanexpro.com/item/?id=HDSP164K
    It does look like a nice quality splitter, but does not appear to do anything to create a display wall.

You might get more information from THIS site.