Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I just converted a PDF with many image pages (because I needed to convert to PDF to crop all pages at the same time) to PNG... and I got one large PNG file that apparently had all my images in it... :confused:
Opening it in Preview would show all the images in their thumbnails just like with GIF and PDF files. But opening it in Safari would show the images one by one as it loaded... :confused:??
I had no idea it was possible to have multiple images in one PNG file. How does it work?
And how do I split the combined images into separate files so I can actually upload them?? :eek:

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hmmm. Seems odd. Personally, I'd go back a step and have another go at making the PNG files using an alternative method. If you're familiar with the command line and have imagemagick installed then the convert command does a good job, e.g.

Code:
convert ~/Desktop/myfile.pdf ~/Desktop/output.png

...results in a nice set of sequentially named png files on my desktop. If you wanted to be flashy then you could probably do the cropping in imagemagick too.

Or alternatively, you could use a free tool such as http://pdf2png.com to make the PDFs.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I ended up just dragging each page out of the PDF into a folder ¬_¬ after trying to find out how in the world I can split the PDF into individual files, NOT just extract a few pages from the file like all those articles said. -_- Then I let postimage.org convert them to jpeg or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.