Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Attorneys general representing 36 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. today levied an antitrust lawsuit [PDF] against Google to challenge Google Play Store fees, reports Politico.

play-store-google.jpeg

The lawsuit was filed in California federal court and is led by Utah, North Carolina, Tennessee, New York, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, and Nebraska. The states are fighting against Google's plan to require all app developers who use the Google Play Store to pay a 30 percent commission on the sales of digital goods or services, which Google plans to enforce in September.

Google last year said that in 2021, it would begin enforcing Play Store rules that require app developers to use Google's in-house billing method instead of independent payment systems. Google has long had this rule, but the company was not strictly enforcing it so developers could avoid using the Play Store billing system and Google's fees.

The change that Google is enacting would put the Google Play Store on level footing with Apple's App Store, as Apple has always required developers to use in-app purchases instead of alternative payment methods. Apple collects a 15 to 30 percent fee from app purchases and in-app purchases, and Apple's situation differs from Google's because the App Store is the only way to install apps. Even if Google implements its Play Store requirements, companies can still offer apps through alternative app stores.

It is not clear if Apple will be hit with a similar lawsuit, but the company has also been facing scrutiny over its App Store fees and policies. Alongside Google, Apple is embroiled in a legal battle with Epic Games over App Store fees and policies. There was a trial in May, and we're still awaiting the judge's ruling in the Apple v. Epic case.

Google is dealing with several other antitrust lawsuits that are part of a wider crackdown on tech companies. The United States Justice Department and 14 states sued Google in October over its dominance of the mobile search market, and an additional 38 states sued Google in December over the same issue.

Article Link: Multiple U.S. States Sue Google for Violating Antitrust Laws With Play Store Fees

Last edited:

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
At least you have an option to use another store on Android.. I don't see how Apple won't get sued for this as well as their policy is much more strict and your limited to just the Apple App Store. If Apple gets off the hook in the Epic case, I don't see how this case wouldn't get thrown out too. But who knows what will happen in that case.

Comment

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
At least you have an option to use another store on Android.. I don't see how Apple won't get sued for this as well as their policy is much more strict and your limited to just the Apple App Store. If Apple gets off the hook in the Epic case, I don't see how this case wouldn't get thrown out too. But who knows what will happen in that case.
What do you think Facebook, pissed at Apple's new privacy rules in the only iOS App Store, will do if iOS is forced to open up to any app store or side loading?
Consumers need a choice. Buy Android, and have freedoms to install what you like but suffer the privacy and security consquences, or buy Apple and have someone police the software you use.
The only "consumers" I hear complaining about Apple's one app store lock down are those who hate them which includes Facebook, Microsoft et al as well as the spooks who've long complained about the end user getting too much encryption and privacy for their liking.

Comment

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
Sounds like the difference here is Apple has enforced this policy from the beginning and Google is trying to enforce this after years of letting it slide.

Agreed.
That was insane of Google. They watched other do this, they had the rule, they didn't enforce it? Wow, Prime rule of business: collect any revenue/profit, value add, anything else you can when you can. One day another upstart company will come along and eat your revenue/profit lunch. So collect it now because one day you'll wish you had.

Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
It's about time IOS gets opened up, that way we can finally have true third party browsers with adding. We can have torrents and emulators and all the good stuff Android gets. I mean having Youtube with off screen playback without having to do the desktop trick would be great too.

Sideloading on IOS would make it so much more appealing, it also means better developer support as people like Epic don't want the App Store.

Comment

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021

If Apple gets off the hook with the Epic trial? The chances the ruling is fundamentally against Apple is small. That Apple will not have an accepted appeal? Even smaller. That an appeal isn't won by Apple? small.

Hook your hope for blind vengeance on Apple to something different.

Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Well, all the haters better hope Google comes out on the winning side of this one, or Apple will be next for sure.
The only people who want Google and Apple to win are fanboys, not haters. Locking a system up doesn't benefit any one... and the security thing isn't an argument, look at Android and Mac OS, there aren't big security risks there. The same idiots who go on about having soldered in SSDs for security.... no benefit to the end user, only the manufacturer.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California
What does that even mean? Are you saying Apple is a minor player in the App Store ecosystem?

you just invented a market.

Apple has no monopoly in any platform for which it has an App Store. Mac is a tiny percentage of the PC market. iPhone is, even in the US, only around half the smartphone market, and a lot less than that worldwide. etc.

The only time companies have been found guilty of antitrust behavior for anything even remotely similar to what apple does the App Store (there are actually no precedents that are particularly close), is when the companies controlled the overall market (i.e. when Microsoft had 80+% of the operating system market - and even the ruling against Microsoft didn’t hold up on appeals).

Last edited:
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Penryn
Jul 25, 2007
California
It's about time IOS gets opened up, that way we can finally have true third party browsers with adding. We can have torrents and emulators and all the good stuff Android gets.

You can absolutely have that today! Nobody is stopping you!

Go buy an android device!

And leave iOS and its vastly superior security model for the rest of us who don’t want to deal with all the android malware and spyware.

Thanks!

Comment

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Here is the filing. You should have included this in the article, MR.

Thanks for this! Reading through it, it appears the main issue is that Google knowingly acquired Android with the intent of forming a monopoly, even though it had promised to keep it open. Apple made no such promises with its platform.

That said, the Attorney Generals take aim at the 30% commission as anti-competitive and deride the notion of a single/primary distribution method:

To collect and maintain this extravagant commission, Google has employed anticompetitive tactics to diminish and disincentivize competition in Android app distribution. Google has not only targeted potentially competing app stores, but also has ensured that app developers themselves have no reasonable choice but to distribute their apps through the Google Play Store.

It will be interesting to see how, if at all, this feeds into Epic's case. Apple claimed their rates were competitive because others, like Google, also charge 30%. But if Google's rate is found to be anti-competitive, that would suggest that the competitive rate is actually lower than 30%. But I think Apple can rest easy because they never promised an open environment, only a closed ecosystem.

Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68030
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
You can absolutely have that today! Nobody is stopping you!

Go buy an android device!

And leave iOS and its vastly superior security model for the rest of us who don’t want to deal with all the android malware and spyware.

Thanks!
seriously, i don't want torrents and emulators anywhere near my iphone. it's mind boggling that someone is actually expecting apple to do this...

Comment

fncd

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2020
The only people who want Google and Apple to win are fanboys, not haters. Locking a system up doesn't benefit any one... and the security thing isn't an argument, look at Android and Mac OS, there aren't big security risks there. The same idiots who go on about having soldered in SSDs for security.... no benefit to the end user, only the manufacturer.
I agree with you completely. I was talking specifically to all of those that bash every single move Google makes. Looks like the walls are crumbling on all sides - finally.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.