multiple versions of Xcode

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zoran, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zoran macrumors 68040

Is it possible to have multiple versions of Xcode on one OSX system?

2. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. I typically have the release version of Xcode in the systems Applications directory and a renamed beta version in a temp directory. There's no Xcode beta available in the developer portal now, so I only have one version of Xcode on my main system, but that's not typical.

If you want to run old versions of Xcode, it helps to keep around a bootable partition on your SSD or HD which has the old version of OS X on which that version of Xcode was released. So I have one of those partitions as well, in case I need to support a custom app for ancient iOS 6.x and 4.x devices, such as the iPhone 3GS and 1G.

Very old release versions that did not install in /Applications did not support running multiple versions very well, as they over-wrote each other. In that case, a separate bootable partition is also useful. But I don't keep those ones around any more.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68040

So you are saying that Xcode only works for the specific system that is installed, is that right? For instance, if i have Yosemite only the Yose Xcode version can be installed, no other, correct?

4. firewood macrumors 604

The Release Notes for each version usually specify which OS X or macOS is required. Whether older OS X versions are supported or not is different for different versions of Xcode. The current Xcode release runs under 2 macOS versions. Later releases might not.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68040

Where can i find specs on what OSX is supported for each Xcode version?

6. firewood macrumors 604

Check the Release Notes for each version. Hunt on Apple’s dev site for those Notes. Good Luck.

7. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68040

PhoneyDeveloper

There's a table on the wikipedia page for Xcode that shows the macOS version required.