iPad Pro Multitasking difference between 9.7 & 12.9

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Donka, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I haven't had a chance to spend anytime with the bigger 12.9 Pro so wanted to ask if split screen mode worked better on the bigger iPad I.e. Do you get two full sized iPad app interfaces side by side as opposed to what looks like two iPhone app interfaces on the 9.7?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's the same. Just bigger.

3. SaddleSC macrumors member

The best way to describe it is that the 12.9 feels like you have two 9.7 iPads in portrait mode next to each other. To me, that makes the 12.9" much much better for multi-tasking. I have both the 9.7 and the 12.9 IPP but dont really ever use the split view on the 9.7 because I find it very cramped.

4. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

So they look identical between the 9.7 and the 12.9, the larger screen just naturally feels less cramped?

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Size-wise, maybe, but the interface is exactly the same on both.

6. SaddleSC macrumors member

Correct...functionally they are identical.

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'm not sure I buy the argument that it is "functionally identical".

Although the screen ratios are identical, the number of device independent pixels are not. If we just consider landscape mode, the 12.9" iPad Pro has a device-independent pixel-width of 1366 pixels, as opposed to the 9.7" Pro's 1024 pixels.

I'm not an iOS 9 coding expert, but I'm guessing that how apps layout their content may depend on the amount of device independent pixels made available to them when in split screen rather than if they are in half, two-thirds or one-thirds mode.

8. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

If they feature an identical amount of content then they are surely functionally identical. How they are laid depending of volume of pixels is purely a cosmetic consideration.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    As an example, take Safari in split screen when the device is in landscape. It adopts the iPhone layout e.g. To open a new tab you need to click on the tabs icon the click the + sign.
    I just wondered if it behaves the same on the 12.9 Pro or if it retained the iPad layout e.g. + icon on the menu bar next to the tabs icon?

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

On the 12.9", layout is done as if you have two apps in portrait. So it is partly up to the app, but Safari does keep the iPad interface like it does in portrait by itself on the 9.7"

The key here is that iOS uses size classes: Regular and Compact. iPhones are Compact for both height and width, except for the 5.5" iPhone in landscape (Regular Width, Compact Height). That difference is why the 5.5" iPhone can do the side-by-side views in many apps similar to the iPad does in apps like Mail when used in landscape.

For split screen mode with two apps, what is different is how the classes work out in the width:

iPad Air 2 & Pro 9.7: Compact (1/3), Compact (1/2), Regular (2/3), Regular (Full Width)
    Pro 12.9: Compact (1/3), Regular (1/2, 2/3, Full Width)

So this is why you get the iPhone interface for Safari on the 9.7 in split screen unless you leave Safari is the main app in 2/3 size. And the larger Pro will switch to regular earlier.

10. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

Split view is generally better on the 12.9", just given the increased space imo. Each side of the split view is slightly less than you have on a 9.7" in portrait, so keep that in mind. It's still a wee bit cramped imo, but the 9.7" is WAY cramped in split view :)

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Actually, this is what I consider not functionally identical. if the layout is different, the interaction then becomes different as well, i.e. the function of using it is handled differently. How they are laid out should not be considered a "purely cosmetic consideration"
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2016 ---
    Great information! Just to line it up so I can see it more clearly:

Code:
          |  9.7    |   12.9
    ------+---------+----------
     1/3  | Compact | Compact
     1/2  | Compact | Regular
     2/3  | Regular | Regular
     Full | Regular | Regular
    ------+---------+----------

So I guess the main difference is in the "1/2" mode, where the 9.7 makes both panes "compact".

12. thelead macrumors 6502

The 12.9 displays more due to having more pixels. So in your scenario, the 12.9 will show more tabs (and stay in 'iPad-mode') while the 9.7 will go into 'phone-mode'.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That doesn't sound right. In 1/2 mode, isn't both 9.7 and 12.9 "compact"? That is, both panes use iPhone interface. This behavior is the same for both 9.7 and 12.9.

14. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Unfortunately I don't have a 9.7" Pro to verify :cool: - I guess @Krevnik might have better insight.

However I just tried Safari on the right pane in 1/2 mode on the 12.9", it's definitely the non-compact mode.

Also tried Safari on the left, Chrome on the right 1/2 1/2 and 2/3, 1/3, it is consistent with the chart, only 1/3 is in compact mode.

15. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

On the 9.7 it is definitely compact in 1/2 view.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Aaaaah. I always forget I'm using my 12.9 in zoom mode, which gives it the 9.7 interface! :p Sorry about that!

Interesting to know that the 12.9 behaves differently from 9.7 like this.

17. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

One of the key pieces that Apple was pushing with the 12.9 keynote was "Two portrait iPads side by side". And in Portrait, the 9.7 is not considered compact. But yes, this is the *default* behavior of the two iPads (from my work on an app that supports split screen on these two).

Good to know about the zoom mode though. I didn't even realize the 12.9" had that mode accessible.

18. bxsonic macrumors member

bxsonic

19. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

I wish multitasking was possible horizontal whilst in portrait mode. Samsung does this on their tablets. Apps like YouTube would benefit from this.

20. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

My biggest issue with the multitasking is that we are almost a full year since it was introduced and there's still not enough apps (that I use) that can take full advantage of it.

21. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Interesting. What apps do you use that don't take advantage of it?

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'd like to know, too. All the productivity apps I use regularly have been updated to do split screen.

23. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, as of right now, still do not support Split View multitasking.

24. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Not at all the portability of the 9.7 is optimal. And 2 side by side apps to me are more like 2 iPad Minis not to scale but enough that they are way bigger than 2 5.5 inch iPhone apps.

25. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Ah ok, yeah Google has been terribly slow on all their apps. Personally I don't use Google Docs anymore, apart from slides Quip does everything I need.

I suppose Google isn't interested in helping its competitor, Apple, promote the iPad Pro. Personally, I don't find Google Docs all that great, although I still use Gmail, which is also not updated for the iPad Pro.

Apart from Google apps, what other professional apps do you use which aren't optimized for the iPad Pro?