Multitasking messengers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anirudh, Jul 1, 2010.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

So the iPhone 4 being out of question for me (only choice being the full price of 599) i have turned my attention towards the 3GS. does the ios4 work well with it? I am especially interested in the way IM clients work? Do they immediately give me a notification when I receive a new message? Tried searching for this topic a lot on these forums but jcouldnt come up with anything :(

2. iHalo macrumors regular

I use Beejive IM. Once you leave the application, it will send you a push notification of any messages you receive. The messages show up like a text message. With iOS 4.0, you can also utilize fast app opening with Beejive IM. Best IM application.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I have spent the money on both Beejive and IM+. For whatever reason, Beejive constantly disconnects, and IM+ hasn't been updated for 4.0 yet (and is pretty much horribly broken)

4. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

The push notifications never worked for me for some reason! I was hoping with the multitasking of the ios4, IMs would work like they do on android phones. So none of the IM apps have been updated to work for ios4 then?

5. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Beejive HAS been updated for iOS4 and multitasking. It's what I use and works flawlessly for me.

Not sure what "like they do on android phones" means though...

6. thetexan macrumors 6502a

On an Android phone the IM client runs in the background the entire time it's on. On the iPhone OS, the client on the phone actually closes and relies on push notifications to tell you that you have a message.

Beejive has to run a server in the middle that keeps you logged into the IM service when your phone is not, and Beejive has to run a small server farm for this task. I'd also think of it as a security risk, since all IM traffic goes through Beejive's servers. On Android, the connection is straight from your phone to the server of the IM service you are using.

7. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Couldn't have put it better myself! I might me wrong, but I remember apple mentioning that push notifications would be local instead of the phone needing to connect to a server.

8. outphase macrumors 65816

The option is there for developers to use local. Those are better for to-do apps though because the necessary data is kept locally rather than an external source like a chat buddy.

9. bigreat macrumors member

Meebo is the best. Full function, and free(with push)

10. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I loved IM+ before iOS4 came along. Really wish its developers would work that out. I'm currently using Beejive, & it works great for me, but I'd switch back to IM+ in a heartbeat.

11. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Meebo is good, but it doesn't always play well with push.

12. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

So then I take it that Beejive is working well with no disconnects on the iOS4 with immediate notification of any IMs? Those who have also used android phones, which one would you prefer?

13. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Local notifications don't replace push notifications, they're just a technique available for scheduling user notification at known point in the future. Exactly like calendar and timer notifications, but now available to App Store application as public API. Since local notifications requiring knowing in advance exactly when to notify the user and what to tell them, they're useless for IM applications.

14. oceanocurls macrumors newbie

I have beejive and love it I use it for yahoo a lot and rarely have problems

15. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool... So I would be looking for a 3GS which can be unlocked. As I understand it, only the old bootroms (something like 39 or 40 in the 4-5 digit of the serial number have the older bootroms) can be unlocked, right? What would be a definitive way of checking if an iPhone 3GS has an older bootrom or not?

16. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

yeah IM+ is totally broken right now but it did work break before, just waiting for that iOS4 update.. currently as soon as it connects it crashes, when you open it again it asks if you want to report it and you do it says to update to the latest version for iOS4 but it's not in the app store yet

17. ocva macrumors newbie

ocva

Beejive has not been connecting at all for me in the past couple of days. I've been using ebuddy, which so far I'm very pleased with (knock on wood!!).

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure sending sensitive info over any IM service is such a smart idea, regardless of whether there's a server farm in the middle. As such it's a wash IMHO.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm no expert in this arena, but I think I read recently that all of the basebands for the 3GS are now unlockable.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah but the bootroms arent. so if you get the new bootrom and it doesnt have SHSH blobs backed up for 3.0 your kind of screwed with jailbreaking 4.0. so obv you cant unlock.

21. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

So whats a quick way of finding out if a 3GS has the old or the new bootrom?

22. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know if theres a significant difference between the MC and MB models?

23. jwwpua macrumors member

I sent you a PM.

To answer your question, "Check your model number....if it begins with "MC" then you have the new bootrom if it is not "MC" then you have an older bootrom also check the 4th and 5th number in you serial number if it is lower then 40 then you have an old bootrom."

Also: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-iboot-version/

24. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically a 'mc' model 3GS cannot be jail broken and unlocked then right? Also, where do I find the serial number? Is it under the settings option?