multitasking shows less apps in ios 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TwoBytes, Jun 30, 2013.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Is it true?

I get 4 apps in iOS 6. Is that right it's only 3 in iOS 7?

2. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Yes, but it is easier to scroll, plus you can flick up all 3 apps at the same time, making cleaning out the apps much quicker

3. Appledict macrumors member

Appledict

True but it's not a problem. Closing apps much much much faster than ios6.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Only running apps are shown as far as I can tell.

5. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

It works out better though because you're able to swipe through the multitasking interface a lot more efficiently, and close apps much faster then the current method.

6. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

The way I see it, it's quicker to flick between apps with less taps if you see 4 on a page vs 3.

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Scrolling though apps is now inertia based, so you're seeing it wrong.

8. DMMatt macrumors newbie

I still can't believe there isn't a method to just close everything. I know that iOS has great background efficiency and all that, but from the sheer organizational point of view, sometimes its nice to just clean everything up. The fact that 3 finger swipe is possible is still just a workaround to a lack of a simple button for those users that would like to close everything.

Especially with the new multi-tasking interface, it can actually seem a bit cluttered when there are tons of apps open.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I didn't even know you could flick 3 apps at once. Thanks! :)

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

There is.
    Hold Home and Sleep/Wake until you see the white apple.

11. DMMatt macrumors newbie

Funny. This reminds me of sitting in IRC chat rooms and seeing people tell users to press Alt+F4 to solve a problem.

Just in case you were wondering, your humorous trick does not clear the multi-tasking screen of open apps, it remains the same as when the phone shuts down. I gave it a try hoping for that to be the case just so I could make that statement to you ;)

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

That's because you're under the impression that the multitasking screen shows open apps. It doesn't.
    It shows recently used apps.
    A reboot closes all open apps just like you asked for.

13. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I think some of you misunderstand the meaning of an app being in the multitasking area. Being there does not mean the app is "open" or "running". It simply means iOS remembers the exact state the app was in before you dismissed it from the screen, so you can pick up right were you left off the next time you open the app. But in between those times, that app is doing absolutely nothing. It is not using your memory or affecting your phone's performance in the slightest. Not at all.

This will change in iOS 7, on an app-by-app basis and only if you allow it. Until then, don't worry so much. This isn't Android.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What he said ^^^^ . The app is just reserving some RAM to maintain it's suspended state.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nope. In iOS 6, the "multitasking area" simply lists recently used apps. It has nothing to do with their current state.

16. Armen, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apps like Pandora, Music, Spotify and other music apps that run in the background will stop playing music if their task is "closed" in the task switcher which confirms that the task switcher does not just display "recent" apps.

System processes like Phone, Messages and Mail are running at all times. Apple just doesn't display them in the switcher unless you jailbreak and load a task switcher tweak.

The task list is a mixed crowd of open apps + recent apps. (Personally I wish apple would get rid of the "recent" section which displays apps that aren't even in memory anymore but just ghost images).

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Sorry, but all that shows is Apple built in a way to kill apps from the list of recently used apps. :)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html

If you need further proof, just restart your device. All of the same apps are in the list.

Or just keep scrolling through the list. All of the apps that you ever used are listed (unless you've removed them.)

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Recent Apps: The Task switcher has a history. It remembers what apps you had open at some point so if you wanted to go back to them quickly they leave an icon for you in the switcher.

Suspended Apps: These are very similiar to recent apps however, they are loaded into memory so if you switch to them they will quickly come out of suspension state to active.

download any app from the appstore that shows system memory. Look at your system memory and then go through the task list and kill the first 3 apps listed and you will see how much RAM you recover in doing so.

If the recent apps list used memory it would make iOS useless because the recent apps list in IOS 6 easily climbed to 20-30 apps.

Only certain apps are actually allowed to run in the background: Phone, Mail, Messages, Music, Pandora and other music apps.

This is why Tim Cook announced he was going to open up the API to allow for developers apps to run in the background.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm not sure what part of what I said you are disagreeing with. I understand what suspended apps are. I simply said that the fact that an app is listed in the "multitasking area" has nothing to do with its current state (suspended, closed, running in the background.)

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Did I misunderstand what you said? I was under the impression that you said the task switcher displays only recent apps. Are you adding suspended apps to the recent apps category? You shouldn't because closing suspended apps actually frees up memory whereas closing recent apps just takes them out of the switcher :)

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:confused: Of course.

:confused: The fact that an app is suspended doesn't mean that it wasn't recently used.

Maybe we should start over. You agreed with this:
    That is incorrect. An app being in the "multitasking area" does not mean the app is suspended.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Right. The task list displays both suspended and recently launched apps.

in iOS 6 from playing around with it the 1st 3 entries were "suspended" and the other 24 or so icons were all recent apps. I did this little study based on if "closing" the app (I use closing the app loosely because the app is not open to begin with) actually released more Ram.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I found on an iPhone 5 it was more like 12 non-game apps at max that stayed in RAM (1GB). I say non-games because games are fairly RAM heavy in usage.

As far as the topic goes, having used iOS 6 and iOS 7's multitasking switcher I greatly prefer iOS 7's. It really is faster to use and close apps, and easier to discover which app you want to switch to.

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't know what the rules are as far as how many apps can be in suspended state or how long they are allowed in that state before the downgrades them to "killed" (recent apps). I know iOS will kill suspended apps if it needs the memory.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

They stay there until the system needs the RAM for another process/app. The apps suspend state that was used the longest time ago gets the axe first.