Multitouch Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roxics, Aug 31, 2013.

1. roxics macrumors regular

I love my Apple trackpads. Both on my macbook and my desktop. But I'm looking to pick up a more traditional style mouse for precision work in photoshop and video editing. I was thinking about the Apple magic mouse but I'm interested to know of any other suggestions.

My big question is, do any of these mice work with 3-4 finger swipes for use with mission control and going from desktop to desktop. That's the biggest thing I'm missing from a traditional mouse right now.

I'd also prefer something that is more universally compatible with not just mac but also Android and Windows. That's not required, but it would be a nice bonus.

2. jav6454, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have this mouse. It works very well with my Mac. I highly recommend it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Your link ( le-mouse-3500-limited-edition/GMF-00030 ) seems to be not working.
    Do you mean that artist series mouse edition by Microsoft?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Should work now... nop, not the artist edition.

5. simsaladimbamba

I have the Perfomance MX mouse and use its many buttons to trigger specific attributes like middle mouse button or Spaces (via TotalSpaces) and such, though the scrolling is a bit harsh when it comes to zooming in in After Effects or Photoshop.

6. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

7. simsaladimbamba

Then there are some options left, one from Apple, three from Microsoft and one from Logitech, and maybe some other party doing something similar. Links can be found via your favourite www search engine and the terms "multi touch mouse mac".
    While swiping is cool and such with a mouse, it gets tiresome and it is easier to just press a button on the mouse to do the same, but then again, I have bigger than normal hands (thus breasts look smaller) and I think those mice not ergonomically correct.

8. roxics thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'm not against using buttons. But how do you do things like pinch to zoom or double tap to zoom? What about side scrolling?

9. simsaladimbamba

For zooming the scroll wheel can be used, if it is in a photo manipulation application. Sometime a keyboard shortcut might be even faster, but that depends on your reliance on the keyboard in unsaid applications.
    Side scrolling can be done via tilting the scroll wheel, it is not always beautiful, but it gets the job done.

But if pinch to zoom/double tap to zoom and side scrolling are important, get a multi touch mouse.

And know, that if you use Photoshop, you are much faster with keyboard + mouse than with a mouse alone. Side scrolling is slower than holding down the SPACEBAR while moving the picture around.
    As for video editing, not many advantages yet in multi touch.

As a side note, you could always get one of those Bamboo Touch tablets in conjunction with a proper mouse.