Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I loved how he mixed rock with funk and his guitar playing, When he did 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' for George Harrison's R&R induction, his guitar solo was amazing, then he threw his guitar to the audience (actually a stagehand).
I loved Napster cause for the first time we could hear all the stuff he never released, which maybe was a bigger catalog than his released songs. He seemed to live a very healthy life, I wonder if his religion kept him from some medical help, don't know.

Reactions: mojolicious

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
552c006a6395a2a0cf383c28d7163561.jpg

Keith should have been dead 30 years ago due to his heroin addiction. I think he's got 9 lives like an Eveready battery

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
My first job was working in a movie theater and "Purple Rain" was one of the first movies that I worked. I seen the end of Purple rain about a zillion times (his best 3 songs in my open). :(

Well that's a cool memory. Probably also the 4 (opening scene included) dances/performances any Prince fan knows... 5 if you add in the Time.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Very sad and like others have said, didn't see this one coming at all. Not like we really do, but man. My wife and I were just watching Purple Rain on VH1 over the weekend and both asked the question of "what ever happened to him?" We had not heard anything about him in while and then out of no where, this happens.

Very sad indeed. RIP.

Reactions: phrehdd

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Unfortunately suspect it is going to be drugs related. TMZ is reporting that the emergency landing last week was for a "Save shot" for a drug related incident. So many leave too soon because of a life style choice.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Unfortunately suspect it is going to be drugs related. TMZ is reporting that the emergency landing last week was for a "Save shot" for a drug related incident. So many leave too soon because of a life style choice.

Yes but probably not for the drug reason most people's mind may jump to. As many know he carried around a cane for years because he needed double hip replacement surgery but due to his religion wouldn't have it due to the blood transfusion. He was reportedly in quite a bit of pain as a result. Latest I read was that he had overdosed on Percocet which is used for moderate to severe joint pain (acetaminophen and oxycodone). Most likely after his Atlanta concert he was in so much pain that he overdosed trying to get relief on the flight home. He was seen at Walgreens only a few days ago and not looking well. It will be very sad to think he died because of this. He certainly gave all during his performances. He was just performing here in the Bay area last month and wowed everyone. So sorry not to have been able to see him then and sadly we don't have many videos of his fabulous performances to watch. Totally applaud him for standing up for artist rights though. His death is heartbreaking really.

Never got to see him in concert but had lots of fun dancing to his music at club back in the 80s. Loved his voice, his guitar playing, his songs were fun and he was just cool. His wardrobe was all over the place over the years but somehow he always pulled it off and was just original, same for his music. So many great songs I'll remember him by.

Woke up to it raining this morning and immediately thought of him. Decided to order a third party purple watch band this morning to remember him and wear when I need a little Prince in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peace

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yes but probably not for the drug reason most people's mind may jump to. As many know he carried around a cane for years because he needed double hip replacement surgery but due to his religion wouldn't have it due to the blood transfusion. He was reportedly in quite a bit of pain as a result. Latest I read was that he had overdosed on Percocet which is used for moderate to severe joint pain (acetaminophen and oxycodone). Most likely after his Atlanta concert he was in so much pain that he overdosed trying to get relief on the flight home. He was seen at Walgreens only a few days ago and not looking well. It will be very sad to think he died because of this. He certainly gave all during his performances. He was just performing here in the Bay area last month and wowed everyone. So sorry not to have been able to see him then and sadly we don't have many videos of his fabulous performances to watch. Totally applaud him for standing up for artist rights though. His death is heartbreaking really.

Never got to see him in concert but had lots of fun dancing to his music at club back in the 80s. Loved his voice, his guitar playing, his songs were fun and he was just cool. His wardrobe was all over the place over the years but somehow he always pulled it off and was just original, same for his music. So many great songs I'll remember him by.

Woke up to it raining this morning and immediately thought of him. Decided to order a third party purple watch band this morning to remember him and wear when I need a little Prince in my life.
Percocet is way over prescribed in the US. I was on it for about five months five years ago before and after back surgery in New York. I was one of the lucky ones in that i stopped taking it and had none of the problems i have read about. As you are probably aware it is an opiate and very addictive. It is almost impossible to get it prescribed in the UK

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Percocet is way over prescribed in the US. I was on it for about five months five years ago before and after back surgery in New York. I was one of the lucky ones in that i stopped taking it and had none of the problems i have read about. As you are probably aware it is an opiate and very addictive. It is almost impossible to get it prescribed in the UK

Doctors prescribe opiates in the US like candy.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Glad to see I'm not the only oen who thought thsi, it came t me as soon as some details of Prince's death came out. The man was addicted ... to performing and sadly he took the worst way of dealing with the pain of 3-4 decades of that.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
An inventory of his estate filed this week with a Minnesota Court is giving a glimpse into the star's personal fortune.

According to the legal documents, the "Purple Rain" star had real estate holdings valued at more than $25 million, about $110,000 and personal property in the form of 67 10 ounce gold bars valued at more than $836,000.

More than $1.3 million is also listed as "cash on hand" from his NPG Music Publishing company.

cnn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.