Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I've tried this service with the help of a UK friend and its quite nice to use on my desktop. I have most of the iphone music players (on my machine but don't use them much). I prefer to listen to my own collection with Simplify Music 2 on the go. For me the best advantage to Spotify is that the collections are very different than American tastes and so you can get some pleasant suprises when listening.

aokiqiao

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Odessa,TX
I dont see why they wouldnt. As long as apple got some the cut from the profits. I know people think its stupid to rent music but if some people are into that you have to give that outlet.:rolleyes:

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Tangent:
Will Pandora ever buffer music like Spotify may? Would be nice to start Pandora, soak up several hours' music in a few minutes, and then enjoy the service in a non-WiFi environment.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I've tried this service with the help of a UK friend and its quite nice to use on my desktop. I have most of the iphone music players (on my machine but don't use them much). I prefer to listen to my own collection with Simplify Music 2 on the go. For me the best advantage to Spotify is that the collections are very different than American tastes and so you can get some pleasant suprises when listening.

This is the problem to me. Because the monthly fee is fairly high to get the iPhone app, it won't stop piracy.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Rental market

I think what people mean when they talk about a movie rental model for itunes they mean a monthly subscription service.

This model (monthly fee) makes sense for films as you often only watch them once and it would support ATVs long term survival.

Also will people stop making out that itunes is not a profit making machine for Apple. Frankly if apple can't make money out of one of the largest online sellers of music and video then I don't understand it.

With the rise of illegal downloads it is clear we need a new model for people to pay for music. Maybe something like a license fee added onto broadband costs?

Yavanna

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Florida
Never in a millions years will Apple allow this into the App Store. In fact, it will be approved the same day a Netflix movie viewer is approved.

Um, what do you mean? I've been using Netflix on my Intel Mac for more than a month.

Also, £9.99 = $16.00 (approx), not $10.00, as some have stated. Would they change the price that significantly for U.S. customers?

el gringo

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2002
Sweden
I dont think apple will allow Spotify. Spotify is competing head on - with iTunes. Most of my friends are actually migrating to Spotify. I see two ways in this:

1. Apple will buy spotify and integrate in the iTunes experience. Will probably not happen.

2. Apple will develop its own Spotify-solution as a part of iTunes. Will most probably happen. If they dont they will experience problems with keeping the users on iTunes.

The biggest flaw with Spotify is the fact that i cant bring the music on my ipod. but - if i can cache...it is getting more interesting.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I think its symbolic that the spotify icon was placed in the dock, in the place of the ipod. Whether Apple approves this is something else entirely.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I dont think apple will allow Spotify. Spotify is competing head on - with iTunes. Most of my friends are actually migrating to Spotify. I see two ways in this:

1. Apple will buy spotify and integrate in the iTunes experience. Will probably not happen.

2. Apple will develop its own Spotify-solution as a part of iTunes. Will most probably happen. If they dont they will experience problems with keeping the users on iTunes.

The biggest flaw with Spotify is the fact that i cant bring the music on my ipod. but - if i can cache...it is getting more interesting.

I think the biggest problem right now is that Spotify can't run in the background while the iPod can.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Call me crazy, but I prefer to own my music and not rent it. I think if this Spotify business ever really takes off that it will set us back. I don't want another life long subscription to pay for.

Also I'd like to know how well this Spotify business is really doing. My understanding is that most of it's users are the ones that are there for free because they have gotten an invitation. I don't think they can put themselves in the position where they can open free (ad supported) access to the general public, and have a hard time believing that they really are getting that many monthly subscribers.

But like I said in the first paragraph, we do ourselves a major disservice if we allow renting music to become the norm. I much prefer paying for an album or a song, and then owning it for my life.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
They already offer free, ad supported access to the general public (you no longer need an invitation to join). :p

Really? Because I'm staring at the website and it says I need an invitation and I'm in Sweden where they made the thing.

Care for a screenshot?

Matti

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Call me crazy, but I prefer to own my music and not rent it. I think if this Spotify business ever really takes off that it will set us back. I don't want another life long subscription to pay for.

Also I'd like to know how well this Spotify business is really doing. My understanding is that most of it's users are the ones that are there for free because they have gotten an invitation. I don't think they can put themselves in the position where they can open free (ad supported) access to the general public, and have a hard time believing that they really are getting that many monthly subscribers.

But like I said in the first paragraph, we do ourselves a major disservice if we allow renting music to become the norm. I much prefer paying for an album or a song, and then owning it for my life.

That's pretty much how I felt about subscription services until Spotify. Now it sits on dock where iTunes used to be.

Anyway, each to their own. There is plenty of room for both business models on the market, both now and in the future.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Really? Because I'm staring at the website and it says I need an invitation and I'm in Sweden where they made the thing.

Care for a screenshot?

I'm playing it now. Here's the home page I get from the UK...

Picture 1.png

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
That's pretty much how I felt about subscription services until Spotify. Now it sits on dock where iTunes used to be.

Anyway, each to their own. There is plenty of room for both business models on the market, both now and in the future.

Do you pay for a premium subscription or are you a free Spotify user?

Matti

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007

Care for a screenshot?
They only offer it in UK right now.

(..or you could go to Spotify's homepage through UK based web-proxy, register and use regular connection after that....it works).

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
They only offer it in UK right now.

(..or you could go to Spotify's homepage through UK based web-proxy, register and use regular connection after that....it works).

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm very curious as to whether or not you are a premium user? If not would you become a premium user if you were forced to in order to continue using the service.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
yay, an itunes killer! finally! i wonder why no one else has tried to build one?

"free library of millions of songs." that you pay $10 a month for. free?

and that caching of streams... RIAA gonna come down on that like a ton of bricks. remember sirius players that could "cache" music? where did THOSE go? :rolleyes:

Except that you still need iTunes to install this app onto your iPhone (or did you mean an iTunes Music Store killer?)

To be fair, it is £10/month so it will probably be $15/month if/when it arrives in the US.

Matti

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm very curious as to whether or not you are a premium user? If not would you become a premium user if you were forced to in order to continue using the service.

I'm using the free (advertisement based) service now. I would propably pay for the premium service, if the free option was cancelled and premium service prices where kept at same/close to same as now.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
I'm using the free (advertisement based) service now. I would propably pay for the premium service, if the free option was cancelled and premium service prices where kept at same/close to same as now.

Thanks for clearing that up. I believe the majority of their users are free users, and I also believe the majority of them would not become subscription users.

Spotify has been available in Sweden for at least 2 or 3 years by invitation only. I think they have done a good job in building the hype but I'm not certain they can take it to the next level. The closed and invitation nature drew a lot of people in and got them singing praises. The iTunes like interface made it easy to use, and the fact that it's free sold the deal.

However I don't think they can open to the public and keep the labels supportive without generating serious profits. Which means getting premium subscriptions, and I just don't believe that their user base will all convert, I think maybe 20% will. The rest will look for another free service.

sfgiants320

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
What's the name of the first song he plays? I searched for "Aberfloy," "Do Whatever Turns You On," and "Someone Like You" on iTunes, but got nothing. Anyone know what it is?

Matti

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up. I believe the majority of their users are free users, and I also believe the majority of them would not become subscription users.

Spotify has been available in Sweden for at least 2 or 3 years by invitation only. I think they have done a good job in building the hype but I'm not certain they can take it to the next level. The closed and invitation nature drew a lot of people in and got them singing praises. The iTunes like interface made it easy to use, and the fact that it's free sold the deal.

However I don't think they can open to the public and keep the labels supportive without generating serious profits. Which means getting premium subscriptions, and I just don't believe that their user base will all convert, I think maybe 20% will. The rest will look for another free service.
Possibly true, but I'm just a consumer with no money invested in Spotify's stocks. Don't really care, altough I wsih them the best.

They at least seem to be doing well on localising the adverts. I live in Finland, and unlike with most web advertisement, the ads I'm getting seem to be spesificly targeted to the Nordic market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.