Music?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by budfoot, Oct 6, 2010.

1. budfoot macrumors regular

budfoot

How many of you keep some (or all) of your music library on your 'pad?

Those of you who don't, do you also have an iPhone or iPod?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i keep some just in case. i also have an iphone and multiple ipods. if you have the space, why not?

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

I've had a succession of iPods, iPhones and the iPad and have never stored more than a few dozen albums at a time on any device. I find it maddening to search through a lot of stuff that I thought would be cool to listen to at the time but later found to be uninteresting. I change up my content a lot.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I keep the music i listen the most, which total right now to about 12G

I actually like listening to music while working and reading books, so since I do that about 90% while using my iPad it make sense. That may change when iOS4 ipad is release since i could go back to listen to last.fm or pandora and i don;t have to relay on my own library

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I keep just a few albums on my iPad mostly as a demonstration of the iPad's capabilities and to show off apps like "LPPlayer".

That was a deliberate decision when I pre-ordered my iPad. It helped me to justify getting the 32GB model (rather than the 64GB). I prefer to use my iPod as my primary portable music player.

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

I just load all my Genius Mixes and audio books.

Don't need to have access to all my music, close to a TB on my Time Capsule. And I listen to Pandora most of the time any ways.

7. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I have some of my library on my iPad as I like to listen to music while I go on the internet and it's a lot easier to use than to have music playing from my iPhone

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

My 100gb music library lives in my iPod classic which stays in the car. On my iPhone and iPad there's really just a "what I've been listening to lately" collection.

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I didn't keep any on the iPad. It stayed on my iPhone. I always have my iPhone so I didn't see the point. I just kept my favorites stored on the phone.

10. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Guess i'm different; I don't.
    I also don't keep it on my iPhone, mainly due to space and battery life. IMHO, that's what a dedicated iPod is for.
    Of course, it does mean I've got more than one I-device with me at once, rather than the fabled do-everything wonder that we're supposed to look for.

11. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I keep about 6GB of music, but i'm considering lowering it to half the size since I have an iPod Touch 1G (still works for music LOL)

12. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

How does someone get that much music? I have about 100 songs that take just a few Hundred meg. And I listen to even less. Now granted if it's past the 70s I don't listen to it but 100GB, damn ;).

Edit: Now to answer the OP question, I put my songs on my phone. I use Pandora on the iPad. I'm happy with that.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Bear in mind that I'm 40, and was a club dj, but it was pretty easy to accumulate several hundred gigs of music legally over the years. I still listen to almost all of it. I use some playlists to make my library easier to manage and I have turned off the songs I don't like, but honestly I usually have my library on shuffle.

Personally I couldn't imagine surviving on less than 100 songs.

14. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

So how many songs are that?

15. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

All on my Macbook pro, lots only iPhone, some on my iPad. And stuff for jogging to on my ancient ipod nano.

16. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

depends on how the music is formatted. i have 9616 songs most ripped from cd at 320 kbps in aac which takes up 58.23GB.

17. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I keep all of it right now because I have 13gb at 256kb/s, once I get to 20gb I'll compress it to 128kb/s. After that, I'll keep it at 20gb of select music. I don't use iTunes videos or anything like that, so I figure 20gb out of my 60gb iPad is a good number. Even with like 50 apps, I still only use around 5gb for them. So I doubt ill ever fill this up, I can barely manage to fill up 120gb at my home computer, although, all the new games I've been getting are starting to push that number lol.

Speaking of which, this was just sent from my iPad :D

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

About 11GB of music. I managed to squeeze my entire library on my 16GB iPad. I'm probably going to buy the new iPad in the 32GB capacity.

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

I'm a musician by trade so I listen to and digest a lot of music. And because I have a keen interest in classical music, I'd say 100gb is quite conservative for 500 years of musical history!

20. prot0type macrumors regular

Originally, I had about 13GBs on my 32GB iPad, but that was only until I purchased the latest Touch. Now everything is on the iPod. If I ever get an iPhone I'll probably get rid of the Touch and keep everything on one of the new Nanos.

21. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have all my music on the iPad and all of it on my iPod touch as well.

22. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I keep some - around one GB or so. But I usually listen to a radio stream (thanks to 3G even when "uut and abuut").

23. xraytech macrumors 68020

I started collecting MP3s since the early days of Napster and had a considerable collection of CDs that I ripped. Nearly had a heart attack when I had a drive seize up on me. Back then, I backed up my MP3s on CDs so I lost nothing.

24. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I keep my entire music library (approx. 25 GB) on the iPad as well as my iPhone and iPod. I listen to music on the iPad sparingly but it's nice to have in case I don't have my iPod or want to save the battery on my iPhone.

If I start running short on space on the iPad, I will pare down the music library stored on it...

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In a general sense it depends on which quality* your music is ripped at and how long** the songs are.

*18GB of iTunes music are roughly 2100 songs. The rest of my music was ripped at 192kps MP3. I'm going to re-rip at the much higher resolution 320 kps AAC.

** The sorter the song the smaller the file. I would hazzard a guess that the majority of my songs are around 4 minutes in length, but I have many 6+ min club mixes and longer classical pieces.