Must have DS games?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gniss39, Oct 13, 2008.

1. gniss39 macrumors regular

I'm only got one game for DS so far: Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass. I'm about a third of the way through it and was starting to think what I should get next. Any must have DS titles out there?

2. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Supermario for DS is awesome and has some cool multiplayer games.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Rune, and the new one coming are good to add to your library.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mario Kart, Castlevania (all cept PoR), Pokemon Pearl/Diamond, New Mario, any Kirby game, either Advance Wars games, Tetris, Animal Crossing, Elite Beat Agents, FFIII or IV are all thoroughly great games.

5. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict (US/EU names) is great.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'll second Mario Kart as it has huge replay value, Ouendan 1 & 2 if you're into rhythm games, the Phoenix wright series for great stories and characters (but not much action), and Prof Layton for a good puzzler with style.

And screw the haters - if you can pick up Super Mario 64 it's amazing to play it on a handheld. I'm remember the awe when I first got my DS and was playing it, thinking it was only yesterday when it as blowing me away on my brand new N64. And there's enough new content in it to be rad even for those of us who beat it to death.

7. selena12321, Oct 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014

selena12321 macrumors member

Agreed. There is a fun in playing this game.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Truuf! I bought it just as a tech demo to see what the DS could do and ended up playing nonstop for 2 weeks until I 100%ed it. Bloody good game, if a little awkward with the controls.
    Shame it took them until New Mario to add multiplayer to the minigames. Thems just brilliant.

9. MacGeek777 macrumors newbie

Trauma Center is really good, and Animal Crossing: Wild World is fun too. If you want to be challenged, get Mario and Luigi: Partnters in time, thats fun and hard! :):D

10. gniss39 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the fast replies guys. I'll read some reviews for these games before I make my next purchase!

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Where do you live so I can slap you? :)

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

13. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Meh, I thought the character switching was unnecessary, the music lacking, the 3D enemy models poor and also unnecessary and the world map layout a terrible idea for a Castlevania game. It tried to change too much.

15. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

I liked Yoshi's Island; good gameplay and much in the vein of SMB series.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Lock's Quest is pretty fun, and it's only $30 to boot.

17. nintendude macrumors 6502

Kinda off topic but it reminds me of when I was buying it at Target, the price tag said Mario and Luigi: Partners in Crime:eek:

my suggestions:

New Super Mario
    Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    Pokemon D/P
    Kirby Super Star
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Animal Crossing
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Mario Kart

18. capoeirista macrumors 6502

For me this is unplayable. How you can enjoy it for more than 5 minutes at a time is beyond me as the control scheme is so cripplingly painful. That said, from a technical standpoint it's very clever indeed.

Oh yes +1 for Mario Kart DS

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

We've rambled about this before. :) The changes you described were superficial and I recall you never finished it. This game was every bit CV as was DS, it just had a skewed way of getting there, but if you had given it the time, its differences actually made it quite enjoyable and there's a point early on its differences become familiar. Al in all, the game's use of soul was fundamentally the same as DS's use, but it wasn't as obvious at first -- I even thought it had been removed and it hadn't.

You sir need to give it another go. What's your address again... :p

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Meh, one day maybe. Personally I like one giant map rather than the formula for PoR. And I'm a stickler for good game music, so much that if a perfectly good game has bad music then I won't play it :eek: for this reason I've hired out a musician to help me on my current game to make it sound as good as it can.

Another meh, I found the controls quite useable, and I've got big hands. Much better on the fat DS though. All in all the best handheld FPS I've played. Better controls than most console games. At least you could be a fast player in this.

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Good music is important, but there are plenty of exceptions that speak other wise. I didn't care for the music in either Castlevania, I just enjoyed these games, because they were both fun. :p

And one big map separated by [gates,etc.] vs one BIG map split by portals, what's the difference? There really was no difference, because both games used a means to separate areas.

So you wanted the same exact formula again and again? Well, PoR is pretty much the same formula as DS, but I'm glad they skewed it enough that I wasn't just playing the same game again -- well, I pretty much was. :eek:

Oh well, you're the one missing out here.

22. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Castlevania is really a must-have, both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are. Also the next one (Order of Ecclesia) is coming out in a few days and it's looking REALLY good.

Also I LOVED Phoenix Wright and its sequels, the writing is just really great and the game is funny and intriguing, it's a must have if you like story-driven, text-heavy adventure games.

I've thought a lot of other DS games are great but my two favorites are definitely Castlevania and Phoenix Wright

23. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I would HIGHLY recommend Tetris DS. I bought it launch day, and it still remains my most played game. I suppose it depends on how much you enjoy Tetris, but its one of the best Tetris games ever. Its a hard game to find however.

Elite Beat Agents and the Advance Wars series are both excellent.

24. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

My favourite was Advance Wars - I played it furiously for nights, staying up till dawn, like a crack addict. But the game was so frustratingly hard that I had to trade it for health reasons.

Zelda was a slight disappointment after memories of the original Game Boy version. But still very good.

Clubhouse Games is the one I come back to most - slightly clunky interface and awful music, but bags of replay opportunity.

Mario Kart - naturally!

Animal Crossing if you can handle the quirk and the feeling that 'maybe this IS for 10-year old girls'. (I still love it.)

Age of Empires. Very different to the PC one, but worth it if you're an AOE fan.

Personally, I am wondering whether to buy Bangai-O Spirits. Is it as good as people say?

25. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Of the games I own (which doesn't include Castlevania though I've heard it's great)

Tier 1:

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

MarioKart DS

Starfox Command

Tier 2:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Contra 4

Kirby: Canvas Curse

Nanostray

New Super Mario Bros.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Tier 3: