Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Looks like I'm taking advantage of the Sony computer, get a free PS3 (or Vita, but want the PS3) offer and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for any 'must have' games.

Currently my only must haves are:

- NHL 2013 (will just bum a friend's old 2011 until 2013 launches)
- Call of Duty (whatever the latest is - Black Ops?/forgot)

Pretty open to any genres/games, single player or online. I haven't had my own (modern) console since I sold off my Xbox (still occasionally bust out the SNES or Dreamcast though).

I've been mostly a LoL/Valve/occasional MMO player on my PC the past few years and getting my PS3/360 fix from friends/roommates. My laptop is hitting 5.5+ years and the free PS3 sounded better than a 360 (personally like both equally, but friends are more the PS3 crowd), so couldn't pass up the chance.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Loads of great exclusives on the PS3-

LBP 1 and 2 (some of the best games this gen, IMO)
Heavy Rain
PixelJunk Monsters and Sidescroller
MGS HD collection
MGS4
Zen Pinball
Gran Turismo with a racing wheel (a must!)
Super Street Fighter 4 AE
Rayman Origins
God of War series
3D Dot Heroes
Killzone 3 was quite fun I thought (didn't like 2 and never played 1)

Thats the sort I like.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
My, obviously arbitrary, list of must haves:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Assassin's Creed 2
Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 1, 2 and 3 + Black Ops)
The Darkness
God of War 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Heavy Rain
InFamous
Just Cause 2
Killzone 2 and 3
Little Big Planet
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Mirror's Edge
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Resistance 2 and 3
Silent Hill: Downpour
Skate 2 and 3
Uncharted 1, 2 and 3

And the coming The Last of Us. :)

Edit: This isn't all exclusives since I figured you weren't asking for just those when you mentioned Call of Duty.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Oooh God of War. I remember spending hours on the PS2 with that. Awesome. And didn't even now there was a PS3 Silent Hill - cool. Good list of games so far for me to check out. I've been mostly out of the console game for a bit, so it'll be fun to try out a bunch of new games :D

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
There's two, actually. Homecoming and Downpour (and the HD remakes of Silent Hill 2 and 3, but I'm not counting those). I for one love the series and I enjoy most of the parts (Origins on the PSP for example, was really good - no matter how bashed it gets in forums) but Homecoming really wasn't fun. Downpour on the other hand were great, so if you want to check out Silent Hill on PS3, Downpour would be the ticket!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^All of the ones listed plus:

Flower
Journey
Pixel Junk Series
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Infamous 2
Battlefield 3
Dead Space 1 & 2
Wipeout Fury
Super Stardust HD
Payday: The Heist
Everyday Shooter (oldie but still good)
Ratchet N Clank Series

Theres so much man...

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There's two, actually. Homecoming and Downpour (and the HD remakes of Silent Hill 2 and 3, but I'm not counting those). I for one love the series and I enjoy most of the parts (Origins on the PSP for example, was really good - no matter how bashed it gets in forums) but Homecoming really wasn't fun. Downpour on the other hand were great, so if you want to check out Silent Hill on PS3, Downpour would be the ticket!

Sadly my downpour experience has been very much tarnished.

There is a save bug, much akin to the save issue on Skyrim for PS3 that as the save file gets to a certain size performance of the game is affected.

At the moment if I load my game up the game has turned into a veritable epileptic slide show with random flutters and staggers that really render the game quite unplayable.

The save bug however seems to be random with some users less affected than others, but sadly in my instance it's totally banjaxed the game for me, which is a genuine shame as i was really enjoying it up to the point that may gameplay was disrupted.

I rang Konami technical support from the number in the manual, and they are aware of the issue and only solution they could offer was to use A) a different PS3 or B) restart the entire game. Neither desirable solutions to the issue, and they said they are not aware of any patch to address the issue as it seems to affect customer experience randomly.

I've tried uninstalling game data and re-installing to no avail.

Now I'm thinking I'll just trade the game in to gamestop whilst it's still worth a bit of money towards something else.

_____

In regards to other games worth recommending,

The lego games are always great and the new Lego Batman 2 DC, looks like it may be excellent fun.

Speaking of which I have to recommend Batman Arkham City : GOTY Edition as an excellent third person action game.

Little Big Planet series is excellent, however they require quite a lot of additional expenditure in DLC to make the most of them, more the level set pieces rather than costumes. It makes the game quite expensive and a LBP2 Ultimate Edition will probably arrive around the same time as the Vita edition bundled with the best of the DLC already available.

Skyrim - The best adventure RPG on the system and the save bug has been patched. Very good game.

Alternatively if your looking for a load of games off the bat, free of charge. Consider signing up for playstation plus. Lots of great game are available right now including the aforementioned little big planet 2.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'll try to keep the list short, just the "essentials":

- Uncharted series for action adventure
- Mass Effect series for story-heavy action RPG
- Burnout Paradise for arcade racing
- Dead Space 1 (not 2!) for scary horror action
- Little Big Planet series for cute jump'n'run
- The Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion & Skyrim) for epic RPG
- Ratchet & Clank series for cute/funny action platforming
- Far Cry 2 for beautiful immersive slow-paced FPS

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
- The Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion & Skyrim) for epic RPG

Are there any sort of mods on the console version? Figuring probably not, but not sure since I haven't played it on the console since Morrowind/Xbox. If not, might just get it for PC since I'll actually have one that can run it finally.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Are there any sort of mods on the console version? Figuring probably not, but not sure since I haven't played it on the console since Morrowind/Xbox. If not, might just get it for PC since I'll actually have one that can run it finally.

No mods for console version. If you have a PC/Mac capable of running it decently - you will get a better experience on it - I had PS3 version, then bought PC version. It was so much better in every regard on PC including the load times which as there is a lot of loading in the game contributes to it being a dramatic difference to your gameplay experience.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Burnout Paradise
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Demons Souls
Dark Souls
Fall Out 3
Fall Out New Vegas
God Of War III
Heavy Rain
LittleBigPlanet
LittleBigPlanet 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
Ratchet And Clank Future Tools Of Destruction
Ratchet And Clank Quest For Booty
Rayman Origins
Red Dead Redemption
Resistance Fall Of Man
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
Split Second Velocity
Tomb Raider Underworld
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Only PS3 game I have that's a 'must have' is Super Street Fighter 4/ SSF4AE. That game is seriously tuned and you can play it til the day you die.

Everything else is just okay. Maybe I make poor choices, but I definitely think gaming is a bit stale right now. Same stuff replayed out ad nauseum.

Reviewers are even giving games with clunky and boring gameplay 8/10s (like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow). Says it all really.

I might jump in on Heavy Rain to get an idea of how Beyond might turn out. Never played anything from Quantric before, just worried that'll end up like Silent Hill 5 and sit on the shelf unplayed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Only PS3 game I have that's a 'must have' is Super Street Fighter 4/ SSF4AE. That game is seriously tuned and you can play it til the day you die.

Everything else is just okay. Maybe I make poor choices, but I definitely think gaming is a bit stale right now. Same stuff replayed out ad nauseum.

Reviewers are even giving games with clunky and boring gameplay 8/10s (like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow). Says it all really.

I might jump in on Heavy Rain to get an idea of how Beyond might turn out. Never played anything from Quantric before, just worried that'll end up like Silent Hill 5 and sit on the shelf unplayed.

I actually though Castlevania was a pretty good game after the first 3 hours. Up to then it was a slog, but after that kind of time mark it got better, and it was a pretty big game too, clocking in around 12 hours or so. It was much bigger than GOW3 single player campaign. It was one of those games I had sitting on the shelf to be finished and never got round to, then one day I decided that I will stick with it and see if it improved, and it did, and turned out to be pretty decent by the end of it. That being said I had no interest in seeing any of the DLC when it finished.

Heavy Rain is good, it plays better with the Move controller than gamepad imho. But it just doesn't have the same impact as Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy had before it.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

LMAO. YoU can say exactly the same thing about Street Fighter.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Journey!! It is one of the best games I've ever played.

Other games I have for my PS3 that I really enjoy:
Dark Souls
Fat Princess
Dragon Age: Origins
Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
Mushroom Wars
Civilization Revolution
Limbo

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Well, thanks for some further recommendations and debates. My purchase date has been pushed back to late July/early August, due to life priorities changing and had to throw down cash for a new car this month. Still have enough in checking/savings to pull the trigger, but never like wiping out my entire cushion, so I'll wait 2-3 paychecks.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are fantastic.

Others have said the Uncharted series, I definitely recommend that.

Dragon Age: Origins is pretty good if you like RPGs.

If you're into Japanese RPGs, White Knight Chronicles II is pretty good (skip the first one though, as it's included on the disk with the sequel). It also has an online component, where you can go on quests with other people.

Portal 2 is a MUST if you like puzzles.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Red Dead Redemption. A fantastic Western-themed Grand Theft Auto-esque game.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I just want to throw in my vote for the Uncharted series too. I think it is the best franchise to be born this gen.
Also, Gran Turismo must be the game I have played most over the past 6 years, with a wheel of course. If you are looking for a serious racer you can't get any better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just want to throw in my vote for the Uncharted series too. I think it is the best franchise to be born this gen.
Also, Gran Turismo must be the game I have played most over the past 6 years, with a wheel of course. If you are looking for a serious racer you can't get any better.

GT5 with a good quality wheel whilst sat inches from a (again, good quality) 3DTV. It's wonderful and all I've really played since getting my new setup :).

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
GT5 with a good quality wheel whilst sat inches from a (again, good quality) 3DTV. It's wonderful and all I've really played since getting my new setup :).

Couldn't agree more! I am currently rocking a Driving force GT wheel with a 50" LG 3DTV. Had to have a re-shuffle of my room because I was a tad too close to the TV for endurance sessions. What wheel are you using? I really considered buying a G27 but I guess at the time I couldn't justify the cost, might buy one at some point though.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I have to agree with the game market in general becoming stale. My PS3 has got a mountain of dust on it. I think it's a combination of market saturation, and companies trying to shift revenue streams. Not so keen on "expansion" packs added to games, most of them are tiny, and offer very little.

Then there's the updates that degrade performance of other games, topped with in-game advertising, I think it just put me off.

It just seems that developers shifted focus entirely on what generates the highest revenue, and in the process, forgot that these are supposed to be fun.

Either that, or I turned old.
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.