Must I really wipe my iPod Touch after I've sold it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NameUndecided, Nov 20, 2011.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I've just sold my iPod Touch 2g on Amazon (it only took a couple of hours to sell after listing it -- quite thrilling), and I would actually like to leave it as it is for the next owner, if it's not too terrible an idea.

The OS is the last released compatible version for this 2nd generation Touch, and it's jailbroken so it's able to have wallpaper and multitasking (which were originally disabled in this iOS version for the 2nd gen).

So if I'm logged out of my iTunes account from the settings menu, have deleted some of the apps that I think would be wise to delete, and have removed my email accounts from the device, do you think there would be any harm in passing it along as-is? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of that should make me want to wipe the whole thing clean?

When the next owner logs into their account in the settings menu, is that going to render all of the existing apps useless or deleted anyhow?

It just seems like the nicer thing to do. I can include an explanatory note on how to log in to their own iTunes account, and that they have the option to wipe it all clean through iTunes if they'd like.

So… terrible idea, or no harm? I'm shipping it off tomorrow. I've only sold it about a half hour ago, so I haven't thought it through a whole lot for myself at this point. Thanks for any tips and help. :)

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would wipe it clean, for your own safety. the average user doesn't care about JBs and all.

3. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that was kind of my question. I don't immediately see where the safety issues would lie. If I can send them the iPod 2g with the best OS that it's going to be capable of running, then why not.

After looking at the situation, I can see that the deeper issue is that I'm just a little sad to send it away, and I hate to just wipe it clean. …even though I'm selling it willingly, just because I haven't used it at all since I got an iPad.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

wipe it clean because a LOT of personal info can be gleaned from an ipod, esp a JBed one. wipe it clean thru itunes and reinstall the OS on there. like i said, whoever buys this is more than likely aware it can't do multitasking. i had a 2g ipod with the jb for multitasking and it was slow as sin. much faster without.

5. RByers89 macrumors newbie

Every year when I sell my iPhone on eBay I restore it clean and rejailbreak usually. My .02

6. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you both for the feedback. I guess this is a case of me trying to do something sort of nice, but the new owner probably wouldn't care anyway, and it just puts me in a riskier spot.
    It's a little bit more sad to wipe it clean and then send it off, rather than just to send it off as it is, but I'll get over it.

7. BrunoWill macrumors member

If I were you, Yes I did it, when I sold my iPod Touch, I restore it with iTunes.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Assume that the user wants an iPod that is the same as everyone else's, an iPod just like one that came fresh out of a box bought from Apple. One that they can take to an Apple Store if there are any problems.

9. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is a good point, thanks. I don't think that I would have thought it over so much if it had been a newer model with the ability to upgrade the iOS.
    I did send it out though, wiped clean and with original Apple firmware, so no worries. Thanks to all for your help!

10. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Clear all the cache, cookies, and history off of Safari and (if any) all other browsers ;)