Must Lion hide my Library folder after each update?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andymac2210, Aug 19, 2011.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

So it was hidden again after updating to 10.7.1, will apple continue to do this in every update when I have a perfectly legitimate need for getting into that folder?

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I also noticed some other resetting...

People found ways to replace the login screen background, and the mission control background by replacing some pictures in /system.

10.7.1 reset them for me :(

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

SJ wants you to use lion the way they thought it should work and will probably set everything back to default at every update until you grow tired of changing it and just give in.

It's like with the restart apps checkbox, i grew tired of unticking it at every reboot and threw in the towel leaving it checked. *sigh*

4. asdf542 macrumors 6502

Why not just put it in your Finder sidebar? That's what I did and it stayed after the update.

5. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

After March 12th, he only way to log in to Lion will be with a 30 digit unique key that will be printed in the front page of Steve's biography....

6. isoMorpheus Guest

In case this slipped by any of you readers,

Click "Go" Menu in Finder and hold option makes the Library folder appear.

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

yeah i knew about that one, thanks! there are about 48 workarounds for this issue :) it just stinks that :apple: forcibly ignores the changes i make to my system, like this and the restart apps checkbox.

8. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Know the feeling. :)

But in 10.7.1 that checkbox gets first "focus" when the dialog pops ups. Just hit the spacebar and it will toggle off. Also, the tab key works to cycle through each control on the dialog like it's supposed to.

Not what I was hoping for but at least the coders "relented" just a tad on this issue.

I just wish my apps would stop loading the previous sessions now. (No, the toggle in System Preference doesn't work for me).

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While I understand the advanced users annoyance at having the Library folder hidden, I've read far too many reports of people deleting chunks of data out of the Library folder not knowing what it was there for.

Since it can be accessed via option-click on the Go menu, I'm ok with it being hidden. Keeps people from messing with it.

10. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I think that's the whole issue we are complaining about. No need to penalize all of us just because people are stupid.

Alas, the whole Mac OS seems to be going that way though..

11. sidewinder, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Whine, whine, whine. Just how hard is it for us technical types to unhide the damn folder? If you really so upset about it, setup a User Daemon to unhide the user Library folder at every login. Then you never have to worry about an update again.

Or do you not know how to do that?

S-

12. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Lots of users are stupid and delete stuff in their Library folder. Let's hide it to prevent that.

Lots of people drop their laptops. Let's make them too heavy to carry around to avoid the issue.

13. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Yeah, stuff like 'iMovie Plugins' - when I have never installed any iLife apps but iTunes on the machine, and would never knowingly install any others but iPhoto. Oh wait, but I CAN'T delete that folder in my Library folder, even though it is MY folder and it is clearly of no use. I still say the users don't need protecting from themselves.

Oh, and as I realised you were kind of on this side as well, your second point seems to fit nicely with exactly my last sentence; the difference I guess lies with the fact that our dropping of laptops = $$ for :apple: so they want to make them as slim and slippery as they can (see Air) to encourage damaging drops. No I haven't dropped my Air, but my '08 MBP is short a magnet in the mechanical latch and has the metal popped out above the press in lid opener.

I love how after a few years one stops worrying about that stuff so much, plus *ahem* the things are pretty rugged :D.

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's not just about hiding the silly-assed Library Folder. You are missing the entire point of where this thread has gone.

From now on, with each iteration of OSX many of us are going to have to "undo" Apple's new features and rely on 3rd party innovation to keep the mac OS viable for power users.

And the lemmings will continue to lap it up so I guess the joke's on me.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You are being ridiculous! You are blowing this all out of proportion. The bottom line here is that Apple has made some changes you don't like and now you are claiming the sky is failing.

S-

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

LOL! Sky falling? No. My world won't come to an end.

17. Lokheed macrumors regular

Considering the frequency of OS updates (8 in SL), you'll likely have to run the chflag command less than a dozen times for the entire life of Lion (probably two years). Seriously?

You've really got nothing in your life to take up your time that you gotta rant about this? There's REAL bugs out there that are far more deserving of complaint!

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

And for nearly 30 years people have been saying this. Meanwhile Apple's the most valuable company in the whole damn world. Methinks their doing something right.

20. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a