Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
No doubt there should be some development on this front once 7.1's start shipping. Apple has to have preboot config screens on those new machines and no doubt someone will dump the rom for us to flash for the older towers. Glad MVC has something brewing. I commend his skills for those of us clinging onto our 5.1's.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
looks cool
pain AMD locked down the BIOS on the newer cards, kind of kills moding them i gess

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
No doubt there should be some development on this front once 7.1's start shipping. Apple has to have preboot config screens on those new machines and no doubt someone will dump the rom for us to flash for the older towers. Glad MVC has something brewing. I commend his skills for those of us clinging onto our 5.1's.

My guess is the 7,1 is not going to use the same boot screen standard as the 5,1. All the other Apple products have probably moved on.

It’s likely the 7,1 will actually be compatible with standard ROMs, and won’t require flashing at all. But if there are custom ROMs on the 7,1, they won’t be compatible with the 5,1.

MVCs is probably about to see their business start to dry up once the 5,1s start going out of service.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well a new high end side will open up if the new macpro sells well, if nvidia ever update the gpu driver he will be able to move to much higher end cards that apple wont sell.
egpu and imac upgrades will be there to, plus i asume it's more of a hoby than full time thing.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
"You'll soon be able to put the same card in your 2008-2012 Mac Pro that comes in the new $6,000.00 monster from Cupertino. "
I wonder how shall we interpret this statement? It looks somehow convoluted. I read it that we can put the card which comes in the new Mac in the cMP with boot screen. Netkas mentioned they were working on the AMD boot screen before the announcement of the new Mac pro.

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
My guess is the 7,1 is not going to use the same boot screen standard as the 5,1. All the other Apple products have probably moved on.

It’s likely the 7,1 will actually be compatible with standard ROMs, and won’t require flashing at all. But if there are custom ROMs on the 7,1, they won’t be compatible with the 5,1.

MVCs is probably about to see their business start to dry up once the 5,1s start going out of service.

I'd tend to agree with your perspective here. Likely they have changed the behaviour of how the GPUs used to function, but until shipping them and someone has a look, the magic curtain will get pulled back.

ferologics

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
There was a thread on netkas forums about how he got the RX560 working, but I can't access the cached version b/c the forums seem to be down.

upload_2019-6-17_16-19-38.png

I'd like to find a way to run one of those on my MP3.1.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
There was a thread on netkas forums about how he got the RX560 working, but I can't access the cached version b/c the forums seem to be down.

View attachment 843414
I'd like to find a way to run one of those on my MP3.1.
I am sure it is already working and we will see the commercial version on the MVC site. Hopefully there will be mail in flashing service offered as well.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
The thread about getting the 3,1 working with the rx 560 isn’t related to EFI boot screen that is being teased by MVC.
[doublepost=1560829931][/doublepost]@ferologics - I have the RX 580 working in my 3,1 now thanks to netkas’ efforts.

Dosdude1 added the patch to his patching tool, however at this point it’s not complete. You can either add a kext to fully disable code sign enforcement or you can try using “ldid” to sign the binary. Ldid would need to be installed via brew as it’s not included in macOS. Check out the last few pages (around 640 I think) of the Mojave on unsupported macs thread to see posts about this.

Reactions: Prophet96ix

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
MVC has always given the option of buying from him or a mail-in service where he will 'upgrade/fix' you GPU for mac

it's not cheap ;) but if you need it worth it i guess.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Will they have an option to flash your existing 580, or will we have to buy theirs?
Yes he said he will provide it in his forum.
I was just looking at the opencore manual:
Code:
ProvideConsoleGop
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Description: macOS bootloader requires GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) to be present on console handle.
This option will install it if missing.
Note: Some drivers, like AptioMemoryFix, may provide equivalent functionality. These drivers are not guaranteed
to adhere to the same logic, and if a quirk is necessary, this option is preferred.
If we can make this work it will provide boot option with the bootloader with an included GOP driver if there isn't any already in the Video card ROM. It is known that the GOP console works in 3.1 with RX-580.

Reactions: h9826790

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
If we can make this work it will provide boot option with the bootloader with an included GOP driver if there isn't any already in the Video card ROM.

I've been contemplating OpenCore for some time, but have held off on any experimenting, because it is not clear if it adversely affects the BootROM of the cMP...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Having had my RX580 running for 21 months, I really havn’t missed the boot screen........:)

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Having had my RX580 running for 21 months, I really havn’t missed the boot screen........:)
Totally agree with you. I able to jump between macOS and Windows installations without ever holding down the Option key. I'm also able to format and perform a clean install as well as going in to recovery mode without it.

I'm sure there's still a market for those that need the Bootloader, but I think that market is a lot smaller than it used to be.

Still...hat's off to him for working it out.

Reactions: MarkC426

Nick [D]vB

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2018
I wonder if they’re using a patched iMac 18,3 EFI (loading CoreEG2 etc)

that gives you boot-screens on Polaris / Baffin MXM cards in the 2010 / 2011 iMacs,

but these mobile vbios almost perfectly match the Longavi frame-buffer anyway.

Attachments

• 580.png
    580.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 640
Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Just a small update added to that blogpost:

UPDATE: To clarify, these cards are 95% done. Will be offering 580s for pre-order as soon as I remember how to add a product to the website. US MVC will be shipping within 2 weeks, barring any roadblocks .I believe our European partners will be onboard as well.

And a couple other tidbits from the comments:

- They will offer a flashing service for existing cards
- Boots properly and shows bootscreens connected to 4K monitor via DP1.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.