Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I just got one of these Thursday. Nice mouse. Battery had no charge when I opened it so I charged it for about 4-5 hours while I was away. Used it for several hours that night and all day Friday and Saturday. Now the battery indicator is down to 1 green light. I expect it to be red by the end of the next full day of use. That's less than 4 days with pretty moderate use (on and off the computer all day long, switching it off when I go to bed). Logitech claims up to 15 days... how can this be? I can always put it on the charger when I go to bed, but I feel like I'm getting gypped.

How long does yours last and how must does it get used?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Mine lasts a solid week of heavy use and about 2 weeks on moderate use. I actually don't remember how many times i recharge it because the battery lasts so long.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
I've never seen mine go down past 2 bars of battery life and I use mine quite a lot.

I would probably reckon that it'd last a full week or two without charging. It's easy just to put the mouse in the charging cradle when you're done with it for the day though.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I never switch mine off; just put the computer to sleep. Lasts about 2 weeks probably under heavy use.

Great mouse.

Good luck.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
wonder if something's up with mine. Used to get life like that, but now a day of heavy use gets it down all the way to 1 and it starts having signal problems.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I just toss mine on the charger every night, so I have no idea how long the battery would last. Is there something wrong with that?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Mine lasts about a month and then takes around 3 hours to charge. I use it about 2-4 hours daily. This is why I refuse to sell it, I love it. :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
WildCowboy said:
I just toss mine on the charger every night, so I have no idea how long the battery would last. Is there something wrong with that?
Practically speaking, nothing. :) But if I'm draining/charging the battery 4x more often than most people, that's theoretically making the total life time of the battery 4x shorter. Plus it'd be nice not to have to think about it as often.

Seriously, no one else getting unexpectedly short battery life with this mouse? I saw a handful of reports though searching Google and one or two people on the Logitech forums (which seems to only keep posts for a day or two at most) but that's about it.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
ive had mine for about a year and now it only gets ~3-4 days worth of usage.
my brother has some random cheap wireless mouse (he's had it for at least 6 months) and has never changed the batteries.
:(

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Compared to my Microsoft wireless mouse the batteries really don't last that long. That mouse used to be able to go months on 2 AA batteries. I still reckon I get a good week or so with my MX1000, although it doesn't bother me too much because the battery inside is rechargeable.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
My MX1000 which I've had for over a year now has begun crapping out. It will just loose its conection eventhough its less then a foot from the base. The only way I've been able to reconect is by rebooting (Windows box). Does anyone know if the BT version of the MX1000 is available seperately or do you need to buy it with one of their keyboards?

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Just tought I'd chime in here as well....

I've had my MX1000 for about 7-8 months. I work from home on the computer and use it for a solid 8 hours every day during the week, plus my own leisure computer time, which is quite a bit. I just charged it yesterday after the LED finally turned red, and it had been going for just under 4 weeks.

On a slightly related note, I also use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard on the same computer and also never turn it off... I've had it on and used it for over 8 hours every day for the last 7 months and it still has 3/5 bars left on the battery meter.

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My MX1000 lasts about 2 weeks under heavy use. It is actually a replacement from Logitech because my old one starting having battery life issues.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Before my laptop I when I used the mouse all the time I got 3 - 4 days out of it (never switched off at night) but thats with a good 6 - 8 hours of daily usage (giving my hand and arm pains I use it so much. Now with using it half the time with my macbook pro and half the time using the trackpad (still never turning it off) I probably get nearly 2 weeks - certainly over a week.

Great mouse though, never had anything like it!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
eddx said:
Before my laptop I when I used the mouse all the time I got 3 - 4 days out of it (never switched off at night) but thats with a good 6 - 8 hours of daily usage (giving my hand and arm pains I use it so much).
Sounds like my usage... at least 8 hours a day, my hand isn't on the mouse that WHOLE time, but I do use all of the buttons and stuff a lot. Switching it off at night doesn't seem to make ANY different at all, which is maybe kind of odd, but I suppose the "sleep" mode the mouse goes into when it's just sitting there is effective?

It's way more comfortable than my MX500 though (which was already not bad), my hand doesn't get sore.

dansgil said:
My MX1000 lasts about 2 weeks under heavy use. It is actually a replacement from Logitech because my old one starting having battery life issues.
Is it difficult to get a replacement due to battery issues? Do you need a receipt? (I don't have one because I bough it from a guy on a forum—it was new though)

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
apfhex said:
Is it difficult to get a replacement due to battery issues? Do you need a receipt? (I don't have one because I bough it from a guy on a forum—it was new though)

I was very easy. I just called Logitech and told them my battery was only lasting a very short time. In about a week, a new mouse arrived at my door. They asked me for the serial numbers on the bottom of the mouse and base station, and that was all. Logitech just asked me to scratch out the serial number on the old one (one I received the new one) and said I can do whatever I want with it.

The process may be slightly different for other countries, but in Canada, it was super simple.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
dansgil said:
Logitech just asked me to scratch out the serial number on the old one (one I received the new one) and said I can do whatever I want with it.

The process may be slightly different for other countries, but in Canada, it was super simple.
You didn't even have to send it back? That sounds nice. I should give them a call.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I called tech support and the man and his supervisor assured me that 3-5 days "heavy use" was exactly normal (with not much more than 1 week tops). He said they could send me a new one anyway. Not sure if that's bull, but, I opted to keep the one I have and should the battery get worse, I can call back for a replacement.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
apfhex said:
I called tech support and the man and his supervisor assured me that 3-5 days "heavy use" was exactly normal (with not much more than 1 week tops). He said they could send me a new one anyway. Not sure if that's bull, but, I opted to keep the one I have and should the battery get worse, I can call back for a replacement.

He offered to send you a new one anyway and you didn't accept it?

While I generally don't approve of lying to someone to get what you want, in situations like this where they're obviously giving you BS (3-5 days of battery life, while usable, is pathetic for what they're capable of) I'd say just tell them that you can't even go a day without having to recharge it on your lunch break or something. That should get their attention.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
elbirth said:
While I generally don't approve of lying to someone to get what you want, in situations like this where they're obviously giving you BS (3-5 days of battery life, while usable, is pathetic for what they're capable of) I'd say just tell them that you can't even go a day without having to recharge it on your lunch break or something. That should get their attention.
Yeah, I'm too forgiving. :) But I can call them up in a year and tell them that, and get a new one then, and get even more life out of the product. Functionally, it's easy just to toss it on the charger while I'm away (even 15 minutes gives it a good while).

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
apfhex said:
Yeah, I'm too forgiving. :) But I can call them up in a year and tell them that, and get a new one then, and get even more life out of the product. Functionally, it's easy just to toss it on the charger while I'm away (even 15 minutes gives it a good while).

Maybe when you call them up in a year they won't have stock of the MX1000 anymore and you can get the MX Revolution or whatever sweet new mouse is available :)

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I charge my battery every day, but after a full day of use I lose one bar. I use it for hours a day so I run through it somewhat quickly.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
SuperSnake2012 said:
I charge my battery every day, but after a full day of use I lose one bar. I use it for hours a day so I run through it somewhat quickly.

That's still losing battery life pretty quickly...
I use mine for 9 hours a day solid for work alone and then several hours in the evening for leisure... and I can still go several days without seeing a bar drop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.