Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
Also check out turbo boost switcher. If you are out and about and don’t need all the performance right then, it makes a massive difference to fans and temperature. I don’t notice the performance drop most of the time.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Am trying to like it but can see why some people find it totally redundant. It's like someone came up with the idea 5 years ago and Apple can't admit it was just plain dumb. It doesn't really offer anything IMO. I'll persevere though but not holding out much hope.

I've been a moderate user of the Touch Bar, but underwhelmed - recently after several years, invested some proper time in customising bettertouchtool and the goldenchaos presets, and it's suddenly become extremely useful - it shows my next appointment, reminder and task continually, has a one touch link to 1password and AirPods connecting, a shortcut to my dock, window snapping, and every conceivable system setting. if you're not using it much, I can really recommend it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Battery is good not great for my use. If you use it for everyday tasks it's good, but get too CPU intensive and the battery life takes an expected hit.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Good write up! I’d love to know if your thermals and battery improves after a week or so, as the machine is probably still indexing. If it’s still syncing, iCloud activity can really heat things up to.

I can’t decide which processor I should go with. I’ve seen reports off/on the last year about the cooling issues and throttling, and seeing the different clock speeds I just don’t know what will be best for me. I’ll be upgrading the ram to 32gb and the video card to 8gb. My primary application is vectorworks and just don’t know if the i9 is best for my workload.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You should always have your laptop plugged in when you are near power. So yesterday you basically wasted two of the 1000 charges your battery have, for nothing.

And MacBooks have long battery lives because they are so powerful nowadays that normal use only uses a few percent of the available power. The more demanding your tasks are, the lower the battery life. That's why we rate cars with "miles per gallon" and not "days per full tank".

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I agree with gnasher.

There's no reason to use and drain your battery with heavy tasks when you're sitting next to an outlet. A decade or more ago, there was a need to cycle through a battery every once in a while to keep it fresh and conditioned. They also recommended you take it off the charger from tiem to time. Now that's not as necessary if at all.

As for getting hot, the real question would always be environment and use cases. How many apps open? How many background tasks? How many apps and services? Avid has a service that runs ALL THE TIME and wants internet connections ALL THE TIME. Also, MS Office apps are secret power hogs, especially Word and PowerPoint.

How much data is being pulled down in the background? Are the fan ports blocked? I've had clients use their laptops on pillows and block vents. How warm is it where you are?

THe bigger issue with fans is if they kick on full blast at start up and never idle. Or, if you're taxing the machine and they never kick on at all. An i9 is going to generate heat, and this time Apple didn't throttle the chip much at all.

Oh! Welcome to the Apple camp!

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2019
Hey, as you reported no ghosting, can you do a check on what panel you got please?

Open the Terminal and run this " ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6. "

You should get a panel number that looks like this: LP160WT1-SJA(number)

Cheers!

Last edited:

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Hey, as you reported no ghosting, can you do a check on what panel you got please?

Open the Terminal and run this " ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6. "

You should get a panel number that looks like this: LP160WT1-SJA(number)

Cheers!

Hi, I think there's a typo in your terminal command. I think this one should do what you want:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -n 6

FWIW on my mojave 2018 15" that modified command produced the following output:

Color LCD
LP154WT5-SJA1
DCN841500CTJ46RA5

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm about to place an order on a MBP 16 and my config will be similar to the OP's. I use my laptop around my house, and often on my lap, so I'm worried about the heat complaints. A couple of questions:

1) I pretty much assumed that I'd want to upgrade to one of the i9 8-core chips, but does the i7 run significantly cooler/quieter?

2) Does upgrading to the top-end 5500M w/8GB RAM offer a noticeable improvement for video editing, or is it mainly useful for 3D and gaming? I don't care about 3D or gaming, but I do want to play around more with video editing (though it will probably be 1080p, not 4K).

-=Hot|Ice=-

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2018
I just picked up the MX Master 3 ten minutes ago! I love it!
[automerge]1576861179[/automerge]
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm about to place an order on a MBP 16 and my config will be similar to the OP's. I use my laptop around my house, and often on my lap, so I'm worried about the heat complaints. A couple of questions:

1) I pretty much assumed that I'd want to upgrade to one of the i9 8-core chips, but does the i7 run significantly cooler/quieter?

2) Does upgrading to the top-end 5500M w/8GB RAM offer a noticeable improvement for video editing, or is it mainly useful for 3D and gaming? I don't care about 3D or gaming, but I do want to play around more with video editing (though it will probably be 1080p, not 4K).

I upgraded my video card for that purpose alone. I'll be doing a lot of video editing and photoshop. :)

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

Not sure about the answer but can offer my experience as data point.
With FCP I see frequently my dGPU memory (8GB) maxed, same with Photos after 20-30 mins of editing.
In fact I'm surprised Radeon memory is marked around 60-70% nearly always dGPU is on for more than 30mins. Maybe it is similar to RAM where the system tries to maximise all what's available, but can repurpose quickly if needed.
In my use case I'm happy I decided to go with 8GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.