My 17in MacBook Pro died after Apple repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinRightWing, Aug 18, 2018.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

So my 2011 17inch MacBook pro has a dead graphics card after I submitted it for repair under the Apple quality service program. I am a bit surprised that the graphics card died again after only 2 years. I am not a heavy user by any stretch so I don't really push the graphics that hard.

I have already called Apple and computers repaired under the Apple quality service program only get 1 year of additional warranty. So no go there.

For others in this situation, did you go to an authorized repair center to try and get another logic board replaced or did you count your losses and start towards the purchase of a new computer?

Thanks for the help

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Any replacement logic board is going to have the exact same issue.

I had a local Apple repair shop replace the GPU on a late 2011 15" with an updated revision of the same GPU which, supposedly, isn't prone to failure. It's been a year and my relative is still using the machine. I got the machine for $70 which made the repair worthwhile IMHO.

You can try and get it to use only the integrated graphics: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ntel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

3. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2018 ---
    What did the repair set you back?

4. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Replacing the gpu chip was around $500 CAD.

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Your machine is now vintage/obsolete, which means that Apple and authorized service providers will probably not be able to repair it.

Your best bet is taking it to a specialized (not authorized) Apple repair shop. In this case it’s a plus, since they may be able to repair the board for A LOT less than a replacement would cost (Apple and authorized service shops do not make repairs, only part swaps).

I’d get a quote and then if it’s expensive get a new Mac.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I am a bit surprised that the graphics card died again after only 2 years. I am not a heavy user by any stretch so I don't really push the graphics that hard."

The "replacement" boards were the exact same boards as the ones that failed.
    No difference.
    That means... that the replacements were prone to the same likelihood of failures.

This isn't worth fixing any more.
    Apple won't touch them, and a 3rd-party replacement isn't worth the money.

Time for something new.
    If you're accustomed to the "big screen", get a 15" MacBook Pro.

I don't care for the 2015/16/17 design, I believe it's as failure-prone as were the 2011's.

But if you want a new one, not much choice.
    As the saying goes, "if you NEED now, BUY now".

I'd be looking for an Apple-refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro 15", myself.

One more thing:
    There -is- a way to PERMANENTLY DISABLE the discrete graphics card, and from that point on use only the integrated graphics. But it involves some "doin'", not sure whether you'd be up to that or not. There are threads posted here describing what to do...

7. elmarjazz macrumors member

Well I can relate to this. Have a late 2011 MBP 17" that I had hoped would last me longer, but a few months ago it died for the 4th, and seems the last time. APPLE had replaced the logic board 3 times before (this would be 4 deaths in 7 years), it was 1 month out from that last visit to APPLE care, and they informed me it was 'legacy' and they would no longer even look at it. Thanks APPLE for selling me a very expensive and defective computer. Replacing the logic board [with the same defective board] even if if it was done for free is not a great solution.

My own thoughts... not worth the repair cost. But... what to get now? The new 2018 MBPs looked like a positive bump in specs and refinements, but seems to be having more than random issues out of the gate. I may just look for a used 2015 15". I'll miss my 17" quad core, 16gb and 1tb with all the ports/connections. Don't see myself getting excited about anything new from APPLE at this time. Windows...?

8. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

It sounds like you got your money’s worth out of that machine. It is, after all, technology, and though it is unfortunate that your MacBook Pro is dying, it may be time to treat yourself to new tech. Sometimes Apple products last 5 years, sometimes 20, sometimes 30. It can be frustrating, but just keep peace of mind that if it were a PC, you’d have far more issues than a bunk graphics card.

That 17” was a beaut, though.

9. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

My 2010 17" is still going strong...knock on wood...I would suggest to you to look online for used MBP 17" and you cannibalize parts from one to yours. Shopgoodwill.com has MBP for sale - every now and then a 17" pops up. They still go for premium prices. That antiglare screen is just so addictive.....