My 2006 MacBook = junk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Meldar, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

So my logic board died, and it's not from water damage or anything like that.

The question is, what do I do with my late 2006 black MacBook?

I am getting (in a few days :D) a shiny MBP 15.4" 2.53GHz i5 that will last me through college and beyond. I'm cannibalizing my old MacBook in the meantime.

I'm going to remove the RAM (3GB) and the battery (at 92% original capacity) for my mom, who has an early 2006 model with maybe enough RAM but a battery that lasts under 10 minutes.

I'm also keeping the HD, as it's bigger and better than the stock MBP 500GB thingy.

So that leaves a case, a busted logic board, the a/v chipsets, and one very clean 13" LCD screen...would anyone anywhere buy that kind of stuff, or should I recycle it?

I could find a use for an empty case...maybe.

Just kinda wondering - what's the market on old and/or broken components?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you leave it as it is, and sell it on Ebay, you might be able to get a couple hundred bucks, especially considering that its one of those sexy black Macbooks.

3. 40167 macrumors regular

Yeah, put it on eBay. Someone is bound to need a screen and I haven't searched but I'd expect at least a couple hundred bucks. It's still cheaper than bringing it to Apple for the person who buys your screen.

4. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Just a screen?

Someone would really give me a couple hundred for what is essentially just a screen and casing? Awesome, I had no idea!

The keyboard works fine too, but I bet no one would really want it because the "D" on the "D" key is scratched off.

So even though there's no RAM, HD, or battery...I could sell the case w/dead logic board and functional LCD for good cash, huh? Excellent.

Thanks for the replies! :)

5. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

Any other opinions?

Having browsed eBay, I'm starting to believe the idea that someone would pay a hundred dollars or more for my broken and gutted MacBook...then I could buy a G3. :p

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Getting a "couple hundred" is quite optimistic. Old 06-07 MacBooks like that are only worth about $400 is good working condition. If you're going to pull out basically everything that still works, then don't hope for much more than $80 for it once you've stripped it down.

7. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

That's still enough for a working G3, which I kinda want just for the heck of it.

Plus, $80 is better than a useless old shell of a laptop taking up space in my cabinet.

Thanks for your perspective - one can be optimistic and realistic at the same time. I try. :rolleyes: