My 2015 base, gold Macbook now 2nd fiddle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RUGGLES99, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RUGGLES99, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I love it, but it's mostly been replaced by the microsoft surface pro 4 m3. better screen and touch, a magnetically attached backlit kb that is 1000 % superior to the rmb kb. a 2-in-1 that serves as a full blown computer on one hand, MS Office, photoshop etc, and a tablet with brilliant speakers. its thin, light, flexible in so many ways, and the ms pen to draw and write notes is fantastic. plus, i picked it up brand new on ebay for $555. Windows 10 is just as easy to use as mac os. my rmb now sits by the bed for late night news reading or listening to otr. apple has fallen soooooo far behind. i do use my 2015 rmbp on a daily basis, but it is heavy, but far superior to the latest mbp, as critics have said. anyone else gone the ms route, the surface way? btw, t can run all the android apps on the surface, too.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

a keyboard that's 1000% superior. anyway, good thing you posted this! and on a mac forum! so that you can get lots of love from a community (mostly) dedicated to the mac os.... o_O

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Surface Book, replacing my 13" rMBP, right now Apple is just not happening for me. 15" rMBP likely to be replaced by a Windows system, 12" Retina, might just survive the cull, equally looking at the alternatives as not impressed by the rapidly declining battery capacity.

Q-6

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

rMBP is heavy? Lol it's 2.07 pounds. The Surface Pro 4 with keyboard attached is 2.37. So it's the Surface that's the heavy one in an apples to apples comparison.

What exactly do you do with the touch functionality on the Surface? How does it help you browse day to day? How many times an hour are you touching the screen in normal usage?

5. evec macrumors regular

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

7. RUGGLES99 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's really a stupid reply since, if you read carefully, I also own a 2015 retina macbook pro, a 2015 retina macbook, a mac mini, an imac, an 11" air, a 13" air and more. As they say RTFM.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2017 ---
    Agreed, but still keeping SOME of my macs! But love the Surface Pro 4 I have.
    My 2015 13" macbook pro is around 4 pounds. Where do you get 2.37 pounds. if you mean the 2016 rmbp, its a POS. I use touch a lot.
    I guess I forgot. And I wish I did on msft. But I do own appl.

8. fisherking, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

1000%... what does that mean exactly? it's better, you like the keyboard better. really, am happy for you...

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Whoops, yes, I meant the retina MB not pro, my bad.

What do you use touch for specifically? You say you use it a lot but Im curious how. Do you always touch links on websites? Use on screen keyboards? Just wondering. I had a touchscreen Lenovo and never found it really intuitive to use touch personally.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Why the Surface Book? It lacks USB-C/TB-3 and is pretty heavy as a tablet (with not a very good battery in that mode).

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Surface Book has USB A & Display Port which currently is of far more use to me than solely USB C, it`s replaced my 2014 13" MBP so the weight is about the same, I have no issue as it brings 2 in 1, Touch & Pen input to the table. Battery life is stellar when docked with the base. Surface connector also adds expandability with it`s own dock when at home.

My usage as a pure tables it less than 20% of the time. Personally I feel that it`s not heavy as a tablet given the display size, then as stated I am not using it as a tablet for extended periods.

As my systems are employed in a professional role, I will always choose what works for me best. For a long time that was Apple, So far very impressed with Microsoft`s Surface Book, more so than I expected. Bottom line for me there are better alternatives; I don't want endlessly thinner notebooks with compromises, I want greater performance, more features that enhance my workflows, longer runtime on battery etc. in a reasonably sized unit.

Q-6

12. KPOM macrumors G5

Thanks. My company is piloting the Surface Pro. I'd love it vs my HP Elitebook but would think twice if it were a Surface Book. I think the Surface Pro is Microsoft's best device for sale. But I value thin and light over power. My ideal PC is a 12" MacBook with a Touch Bar and Touch ID.

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Problem for me is the runtime on battery for the Surface Pro 4, Surface Book is significantly greater and my usage more aligned with the notebook format. I also find the Surface Book`s keyboard to be excellent which is another draw for me.

If Microsoft can stretch the Surface Pro 5 battery life I may replace my 12" Retina with one, as I also value portability for some of my use cases. For me a 2 in 1 with full touch display with Pen support far outstrips Apple`s vision of the PC. Subsequently given all hope up that Apple will produce a 2 in 1 and moving on to systems that work for me. Likely keep one Mac around, rest the days are numbered.

Q-6

14. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Why post this here? And running windows. You already losing